1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boomer Esiason Rips MLB Player Taking Paternity Leave

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Apr 3, 2014.

1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

What??? Esiason's comments were by far the worst. The idiot actually stated that if it was his wife, he would've had her get an elective pre-mature c-section before the season started to avoid missing any games.

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Heres a question esiason should ask himself. Do you work to support your family or do you have a familyto support your work? The guy missed 2 out of 162 games. Gimme a break.

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

It really doesn't. If he was a good player, maybe. But over 2 or 3 game sample, the difference between Murphy (a 1.5 WAR guy) and whichever bench take his spot is tiny enough to be inconsequential.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I never did like Boomer. I can see I was justified in my disdain of the b*stard. I guess I'm just a family values guy at heart.

5. Buck Turgidson

Houston went through this 2 decades ago with David Williams, I thought it was settled by now.

You do realize that's what happened, right?

6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

lol baseball. yawn. players get days off for being hung over, but this is where they draw the line.

7. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Yeah, besides players will get numerous rest days throughout the season.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I love topics like this. Always exposes the mouth breathing knuckle draggers.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I was able to take 4 weeks of fully paid paternity leave. And I damn sure took every last day of it. Esiason is an idiot.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just heard on the morning news he's not backing down about his comments. His explanation was that he wasn't talking about average people but people like Dan Murphy and himself who have high paying jobs and can afford child care.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He doesn't recognized contracts agreed upon by legally-formed unions. He only recognizes their validity if the player negotiated his own contract based on his own rules cause liberty.

12. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

Link:
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/04/04/boomer-esiason-apologizes-for-insensitive-comments-on-murphys-paternity-leave/

13. Kamaqazi21

Kamaqazi21 Member

At the end of the day sports is just sports. Family is way more important. IMO the birth of a child is greater than ANY sporting event in the world (Superbowl, world series, finals). Those games will be history, but personally you always remember certain moments in you life and the birth of a child is one of them. Some people take sports to seriously, family is always first no matter what.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Is it just my perception or are more and more "sports" radio shows incorporating non-sports topics? I was trying to listen to baseball talk on the way to work today, and aye-yai-yai, the hosts were talking more pop culture than anything else. I turn to another station where they were supposed to be talking about the NCAA tournament, but they focused only on the idea of athletes unionizing. Blah blah blah. Yeah, interesting topic, but how about we dissect the basketball games? I guess you see more and more caca in the coverage because it gets better ratings (and is honestly "easier" to prepare for each day) than real sports analysis.

Le sigh.

15. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member