1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

L.P.D.: Libertarian Police Department

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Apr 2, 2014.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

L.P.D.: Libertarian Police Department

I was shooting heroin and reading “The Fountainhead” in the front seat of my privately owned police cruiser when a call came in. I put a quarter in the radio to activate it. It was the chief.

“Bad news, detective. We got a situation.”

“What? Is the mayor trying to ban trans fats again?”

“Worse. Somebody just stole four hundred and forty-seven million dollars’ worth of bitcoins.”

The heroin needle practically fell out of my arm. “What kind of monster would do something like that? Bitcoins are the ultimate currency: virtual, anonymous, stateless. They represent true economic freedom, not subject to arbitrary manipulation by any government. Do we have any leads?”

“Not yet. But mark my words: we’re going to figure out who did this and we’re going to take them down … provided someone pays us a fair market rate to do so.”

“Easy, chief,” I said. “Any rate the market offers is, by definition, fair.”

He laughed. “That’s why you’re the best I got, Lisowski. Now you get out there and find those bitcoins.”

“Don’t worry,” I said. “I’m on it.”

I put a quarter in the siren. Ten minutes later, I was on the scene. It was a normal office building, strangled on all sides by public sidewalks. I hopped over them and went inside.

“Home Depot™ Presents the Police!®” I said, flashing my badge and my gun and a small picture of Ron Paul. “Nobody move unless you want to!” They didn’t.

“Now, which one of you punks is going to pay me to investigate this crime?” No one spoke up.

“Come on,” I said. “Don’t you all understand that the protection of private property is the foundation of all personal liberty?”

It didn’t seem like they did.

“Seriously, guys. Without a strong economic motivator, I’m just going to stand here and not solve this case. Cash is fine, but I prefer being paid in gold bullion or autographed Penn Jillette posters.”

Nothing. These people were stonewalling me. It almost seemed like they didn’t care that a fortune in computer money invented to buy drugs was missing...

cont- http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/shouts/2014/03/libertarian-police-department.html

2 people like this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I laughed.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

LOL.
    This is great!

4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought so.

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

That was actually pretty entertaining.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hey I think it should be turned into a whole cartoon series.

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I laughed. I've started other threads in the past that tried to portray the real-life consequences of "libertarian" philosophy but this is much better.