1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets radio announcers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chrish23, Jan 29, 2014.

1. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

I don't know about Parsons. Let's keep Bull, bring in Craig. Dwight can stay on the team for a while. Don't need his or Barkley comedy for a few years. Dwight brings enough laughs and good plays as a Rocket!

2. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I can listen to Craig although sometimes he tries to hard to have a memorable call. Joel Blank on the other hand is horrible. His rhyming shtick is lame and takes away from the recap. I miss our legends on my radio.

3. NateNate

NateNate Member

I like Craig and Joel both. I just think sometimes Craig steps on Joel too often when Joel tries to give his input, it comes off as pricky to me. But i do like them. They are NOT Jim and Gene though!

4. chrish23

chrish23 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Okay, so I have gone back and really listened to games since everyone shared their feedback. I have to say that clearly I was wrong as Craig Ackerman is really solid. His emotion and playcalling is really cool, although sometimes it can be a little bit dry

What I now realize is Joel Blank is so bad that he was making the experience unbearable for me. Therefore, I love listening to road games as Joel does not do the sidekick gig, but when they are home and Joel and Craig are talking, Joel is abysmal.

1 person likes this.
  5. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

They're improving. A couple years ago, Ackerman was doing color & play by play. It was hard to listen to.
    They are better now with the few sample games I've heard.

Blank gives good contrast to Ackerman. They just need to listen to themselves like Vandermeer & Ware (Texans) and be even better.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I like Craig Ackerman's enthusiasm but he can't keep up with the pace of the game a majority of the time.

7. lockmat

lockmat Member

I guess Ackerman is okay. He talks really fast, I'll give him that. Does that translate into a well described game? eh. To me, he does too much color commentating. That's not his role. But he's fine I guess. I'm from the championship era and I miss the old guys too. Like me some Bill Worrell too.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

If people complain about Bill Worrel's homerism, wait till hear them. :) It's all good though.

9. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

What..? Craig and Joel always call a play either good or bad even if it favors the Rockets. They don't do it quite as often on the TV cast though I don't really remember that much cuz I haven't been able to see the TV cast in like 2 seasons.

So much hate on Joel though, He's great.

10. A New Age

A New Age Contributing Member

respectfully I'm going to disagree with this. I've had to watch a lot of the nationally televised games on crappy firstrowsports.eu streams (we don't have cable or a dish), and I've taken to cutting the audio on those streams and listening to Craig from my iPhone on the NBA app. I synchronize the play-by-play to wherever the action is on my computer, and it works pretty well--especially when those stupid pop-ups block the screen and I can't see what's going on for 30 seconds. I think he does *extremely* well at keeping up with the pace of the game and accurately describing what's going on. It almost makes the crappy streams bearable.

And then I always watch the game the next day on League Pass.

11. cml750

cml750 Member

I don't get to listen to much Rocket radio as 790 does not reach the Beaumont area very well but the few times I have heard Ackerman, I can say he does not hold a candle to Gene Peterson and the color guy REALLY sucks compared to Jim Foley. I used to love listening to Peterson and Foley on 740 growing up before I could see most of the games on cable. Ackerman is adequate but not close to Gene "How Sweet It Is" Peterson.

12. TTNN

TTNN Member

Craig is great!

13. haydenfisher342

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

no joke, sometimes when i'm forced into a horrific away/"neutral" feed, i mute the game and stream Ackerman.

He does a great job!

15. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

I love Craig. I wish i could have the radio on and mute the tv and watch all the games.

...WAIT!!!!!

16. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Jason Friedman from Rockets.com and RTV should join him on away games (Not sure how much experience JCF has calling radio but if he does...) and Joel stick with him on color for home.

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I love Ackerman.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lTeZ6elLcow" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)