1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Credit union: Trying to stop my credit from bleeding

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by steddinotayto, Jul 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I have pretty bad credit and I was thinking about how to make it better b/c in about 5-6 years I am pretty sure I would want to buy a house or a car (i'm 22 btw). Has anyone ever went through a credit union or something of the like? I want to repair the most I can after being too stupid with money. Any help is much appreciated.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What do you mean by "went throught a credit union"? What are they going to do for you?

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Beat me to it. What are you going to the credit union for? A loan? :confused:

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You should get a loan to buy something big like a car(used one counts too) and pay you debt off to show that you can be trusted with a line of credit.

5. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I agree. Get a simple interest loan that allows you to paid it off in advance. In fact, if you have a few thousand in savings ask them if you can borrow that amount of money while you open a savings account in their branch and set up automatic payments. If it is like a 24 month loan, pay it off in 6 months. Your credit will improve dramatically.

6. ima_drummer2k

LOL, I have a feeling this thread is going to turn out like the one started by the guy asking for tips on a fight he was about to get into....and then never posting again. :D

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

As far as his score, yeah, but when banks actually look it when deciding whether to approve a loan, they like seeing long term payment history also.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly - Don't pay it off early. Take a long term loan, and pay it off over time. Long term payment helps your credit a lot.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

sorry guys. just came back from work.

yea...basically i'm just trying to work on my credit rating. I don't want to be screwed over years from now when i go into a dealership to buy a car and they tell me that my interest rate is like 20% or something like that.

i'm a n00b at all this stuff..which is VERY disappointing and embarrassing given my age. I know i should have been more responsible early on but stuff happens i guess..(lame excuse).

Any tips on improving your credit rating? Maybe THAT is the right question to ask. Thanks guys

10. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

Just start paying off your debt on time. Keep your debt to a minimum. After 7 years, any delinquencies will be off your record.

11. ima_drummer2k

The only (legal) way to improve your credit is to pay off your debts. You don't have to pay them in full but you have to make a payment every month for a long period of time. Improving your credit is a long process. There is no quick fix.

What kind of debt do you have? Credit card? Loans? School debts? Still need some more information.

12. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member