1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2015 NCAA Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by J.R., Mar 15, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

#1 J.R., Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

WE GOIN' ALL THE WAY BABY!

SWAC CHAMPS! SWAC CHAMPS! ARIZONA AIN'T ****.

3. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rock Chalk Jayhawk (even though they're guaranteed to disappoint me)

5. The Stig

The Stig Member

Please SMU, at least get to the Sweet 16! I was hoping they get the 5 seed but since the NCAA are the ones making the calls, I can't get my hopes up.

Lots of controversy in this year's brackets. Dunno who UCLA paid to get in but it worked. Lots of questionable seeding too. Can't wait! PONY UP!

6. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

upsets I can see happening in the round of 64 w/ high vs low seeds: valpo over maryland, belmont over virginia, wyoming over UNI, SFA over utah, wofford over arkansas.

7. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I don't see any way Maryland & Virginia lose, especially Virginia. Their defense is just ridiculously stifling. I actually thought they deserved a #1 seed.

I saw Wofford play Duke earlier this year, and they looked awful. Not sure if that game was just an outlier or if they've improved since then, but I expect Arkansas to win.

I think Ohio State will be an upset, possibly getting to S16 or E8.

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Kentucky is the real deal. Towns is the best big in college ball, Harrison twins and Colley-Stein as well as like half their roster bring in their experience from last year's final four appearance. I really do believe Kentucky will take it.

9. The Stig

The Stig Member

The upsets I can see in the Round of 64 are: Texas over Butler, BYU/Ole Miss over Xavier, Ohio St over VCU, and SFA over Utah.

Upsets I'm on the fence about: Davidson over Iowa, and Buffalo over West Virginia.

I'm fearing that UCLA will play SMU with a chip in their shoulder and could bounce us out but I think Larry Brown will make sure that doesn't happen. Anyone have any insights on UCLA?

10. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Wtf why is ucla in, everytime I saw them they sucked is this a thing like if your school has money you'll get in?

My upset pick is gozaga to lose their first match

11. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

i have tOSU beating VCU but done after that. they haven't played too well against top teams.

agree on all of your upsets although texas and tOSU aren't upsets according to vegas lines.

i have davidson and i think buffalo is another good choice for a 5/12 upset but i went w/ WVU.

i think SMU beats UCLA. will most likely be close and then SMU pulls away. jitters may get to them though, that'd be my biggest concern if they lose to UCLA.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Former Rocket Derrick Chievous' son Quinton playing for Hampton in the play-in game right now.

The more you know...

13. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Go Anteaters!

14. newAge_Rockets

This NCAA tournament thing has been brutal for this Notre Dame fan. I don't think I've ever seen them play well in it. All I remember is struggling with a 15 seed, losing to a 10 seed when we were the 2 seed, losing to Winthrop, losing a game based upon a lane violation call, and so on...

Hopefully this year is different! Hey, we won our first conference tournament EVER why not make our first sweet 16 run in over a decade.

Go Irish! We WANT Kentucky (Not really...Maryland knock them out pls)

15. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I really think the Irish will be great this year, but think about how embarrassing it would be if you lost to UT (one of the teams that many say didn't deserve to get in).

16. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Question: why do the 11 seeds have a play in game? I get why the 16 deeds do but I'm a little confused why a middle of the pack team would have to play in.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Because those are typically among the lowest-seeded at-large teams. I think all seeds 12-16 are automatic bid winners who would not have made the tournament without winning their conference. It's more exciting to have bubble teams play each other than to have all four games consist of fodder for the top seeds.

I'm participating in my first ever pool where you pick the play-in games. It's now also the earliest I've been disappointed in my bracket. :)

18. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Wht does 'at large' refer to?
    So it's kind of like all the conference winners are guaranteed a spot. And then it goes by standings and the cut-off point of non-conference teams is the 11 spot?
    It's kind of like how OKC/Pelicans/Suns are fighting for the last spot but Heat/Pacers/Celtics are kind of shoe is due to circumstances?

19. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

The selection doesn't go by standings, at large teams (teams in the tournament that didn't win their conference tournament) are selected by the committee based off who they think are the best teams through strength of schedule, eye test, etc, with the 11 seed play-ins being the "last four in".

1 person likes this.
  20. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Ah! Gotcha. Thus the hype behind Selection Sunday. And where controversies occur.

Appreciate the insight!