1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sloan is a great coach, and hate to say this, but Utah is playing great TEAM ball!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by fa7999, Nov 6, 2003.

1. fa7999

fa7999 Member

I never considered Sloan a great coach because he had Marlone and Stockton. However, a week ago, Sir Charles mentioned that he thinks that Sloan is the second best NBA coach after you know who. And then I watched the Jazz play 3 times this season on NBA league pass. Their team play just blows me away!

They have no name player on the team. However, each player knows his role and the whole team plays highly disciplined ball. TOs are non existent, NO prolonged dribble from the guards, the ball is always in movement. The guards routinely turn down outside open shots, the forwards turn down open 18 footers, and they always succeed in moving the ball to the paint for easy shots, layups galore. That's why they are leading the NBA in FG%. And they play great team defense.

On the other hand, Sun was mainly playing one on one for the whole night, resulting in a loss even with 2 all stars and one up and coming all star in Amare. Utah was shooting only 13% from 3s and beat the Sun convincingly. I won't be surprised to see Utah winning 40 games this season and Sloan getting the coach of the year award.

Utah is ultimate team basketball heaven. I only wish that our Houston guards can learn more from the much less talented Utah guards and then we can talk about overachieving.

I like JVG but seriously think that we can win 55-58 games under Sloan this year.

2. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

I watched Utalh last night also. I thought I was watching Sacto.

3. gundammasta

gundammasta Member

these guys jus wont go away...always a pest

4. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I hate them!!!:mad:

5. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Unbelievable if they can contend for a playoff spot this year. I know we like to say that talent wins, but there's something to be said for a great coach who can mold a talent-deprived group of players into a competetive team.

6. bhanchod

bhanchod Member

In my opinion Sloan is the Best Coach never to win coach of the year. So what if he had Stockton malone, Riley had freaking dream team 1, Paul westphal had barkley KJ Marjele, every one has some one...this guy has gone ignored (always the bridesmaid never the bride) long enough.

Great Coach man
    He will be the reason this tem finishes top 20 in the NBA

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Ummmmmmmmmmm.......

I agree with Clutch's "interests" on this one ("DEATH TO UTAH").

And I prefer if the Jazz bottom out way hard and he gets fired, and remains the "bridesmaid."

Always thought he was a punk cry baby anyway.:mad:

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Wait till we play them. I bet you will be singing another tune, and I bet it won't be jazz.

Go Rock!!

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Part of TALENT is knowing how to play the game.

You can have all the natural ability in the world without any of the TALENT to play.

See Eddie Griffin, and Leon Wood.

Being smart and understanding the game is much more important than athletic ability.

DD

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The Rockets are 3-1, the Jazz are 3-1. But we would win more with Jerry Sloan. Am I missing something here!? The Rockets are playing GREAT team ball right now. We'll see what happens when the dog days of the NBA catch up with the Jazz.

11. El Toro

El Toro Contributing Member

who knew Andrei Kirilenko would be 26-26 from the free throw line? simply ridicurous.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Um, they've played 5 games.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm going to be optimistic and say that was a pretty good Seinfeld reference...

14. El Toro

El Toro Contributing Member

it was. good eye guy

15. ymc

ymc Member

The Jazz won again over Griz. It seems to me they are on track for a playoff spot. :(

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

sloan did what stoops of OU did...sold his soul to the devil. that's the only way to explain this.

but in all honesty, i give sloan a lot of credit. he has his team believing that they can go and win every game and it's true belief. but we should see how all this turns out at the all-star game point.

17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I know it's early, but wow they refuse to die. But for the people saying that they would rather have Sloan over Jeff Van Gundy, Van Gundy has the Rockets at 4-1, I doubt that Sloan could have them any better.

18. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Top 20? LOL. Is that suppose to be a compliment? There are 4 top 20 teams that won't make the playoffs...those aren't good teams.