1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real protest of a real problem: Women's Rights in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Oski2005, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

While some whiny people who are getting tax cuts are hanging out (and taking their kids out of school) at white supremacist and militia recruiting meetings today, some very brave women are standing up for their rights in Afghanistan.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Does love exist in that culture? It seems like men over there just want to treat their women like dogs...except maybe dogs get better treatment if they are a pet in the household. You do what I say...or else! So much for women rights! That alone invalidates that religion in my eyes...if that is truly what Islam represents to women, i.e. keeping them down and out. I can never agree with that religion if that is what it preaches. I'd rather be an infidel.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

amazing show of bravery.

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

And the men involved - just plain disgusting. They don't deserve anything but contempt. No, they deserve something worse. This is legalized rape.

Barbaric asshats.

EDIT:
    Textbook responses by our peace-loving male afghans as well (I'll resist the obvious religious connection)....

First - the women are "whores" even though they are actively protesting against being forced to have sex. Brilliant thought processes!

Then - when faced with the obvious facts that a bunch of male religious nutjobs orchestrated this extraordinary act of callous misogyny - they blame it all on westerners. Well done.

Asshats.

#4 rhadamanthus, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

These women have been suffering for a long time. I'm afraid for their families, but what kills is that their husbands are probably the ones trying to stop them.

Horriffic situation over there.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Radical Islamic culture ...ugh..., they need to get into the 21st century.

DD

#6 DaDakota, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Is this "marital rape" complaint the preeminent concern of Afghan protesters or of the western journalists?

8. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

Never fails...

9. TheBigAristotle

Geez. This kind of thinking never ceases to amaze me.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I once had a student from the Middle East whose mother had smuggled her out of their country, and away from the father, so that she could pursue a college education. The father had expressly forbid this, but the daughter was very smart. So sad and so brave! The daughter can never go home, and I'm sure the consequences for the mother's actions were not happy -- I don't know what happened.

Brave, brave women. Thanks for posting this.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

:confused: I'm asking a sincere question. It strikes me as odd from all the complaints a woman could have about this law, that marital rape seems to always be at the top of the list in the articles I read about it. So, I'm wondering, is it really their top concern?.

If it were me, I'd be more concerned about the need for permission to go to school or work. But, I'm coming from a different culture.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Even the middle eastern girls who walk around campus at UH covering themselves up I can't help but feel for. I am ignorant of their customs, and I know its a cultural thing to cover themselves as much as it could be viewed as a sign of male oppression. However, the indoctrination of the males by their superiors is as much to blame for their current way of life than anything else. It is a cycle that only seems to get more radical year by year.

I highly recommend the animated movie Persepolis for perspective on a young woman's life in Iran.

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Once oil runs out in middle east we just forget about the whole region!

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I don't know what you are referring to, we care about Africa and they don't have any oil.

15. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

I guarantee the guy you were responding to and those that think like him don't.

I wish that all Americans could experience what it's like to be poor or without or deprived for just once in their life. No longer than a day, it would be a really different place...

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

No doubt its a terrible thing to think about. When we stuff our faces with whatever we wish and live like kings while more than half the world starves.

But anyway, we're talking about the oppressing of women in fundamentalist Islamic regimes.

And that sucks too.

17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Oh I know about living poor better than prob 99% of the people in the US. The thing is we cannot solve the problem of the world, the people in those countries have to want to solve them. If the men in those countries do not want change, nothing the US do will make any difference or do we write their laws for them and then send police force to enforce them?

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Alas, it seems that all we can do is shout "You Go Girl!"

From across the pond.

:(

19. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Firstly, these girls are not all Middle Eastern. Secondly, its a religious thing to cover up, not cultural. Thirdly, why don't you speak to one of these oppressed girls and find out what kind of male oppression they face. I think you'll find out that the (majority) women at your uni decide to wear what they do, whereas the Afghani women who don't want to cover are FORCEd to do so, big diffference.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I am well aware of all your points, and to finish my thought about that, I didn't really feel as they themselves were oppressed. They generally seem happy and act the same as all the other girls. Ditzy, American girls giggling about boys and such.

I just see them wearing those things and it reminds me of the women that actually are treated like pieces of property in the world.