1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Chopped

Chopped Member

Someone had to make one, So what are ya'lls expectations for the season and conference realignment? Stadium money is getting there, we just need to break ground to show we are serious.

Houstunna and Hippieloser like this.
  2. DreamRoxCoogFan

Sumlin is a great coach, but he still hasn't won the conference. If they don't get in to the C-USA championship game, the season will be a failure. If they don't win the championship, it will be a disappointment.

From what I've heard and seen, I'm still not sold on Case being the Case of old- he's still rehabbing and I get the impression that he's not 100%. If I'm wrong, please correct me on that. It's going to take some time for him to improve, so the rest of the team has to step up while he shakes the rust off. We need to be better on the road- we can be atrocious. We also need better defense (obviously).

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

2:30 Afternoon game....

Someone in the stands will die. They need to have some mister thing in the crowd.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

they will. it's called rain.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This offense is just flat r****ded.

How far is Keenum away from becoming the NCAA leader? He should get it in 3-4 games, right?

This should be a really, really special season.

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

UCLA lost Moore (FS) and Ayers (LB) to the draft. Might not make their defense terrible but their defense will not be any better than what it was last year. Keenum and his knee is anybody's guess. UH lost a few games last year because they had no clearly defined #2 QB. Turner seemed to lack confidence, Broadway was not a team player and Pilland is young, has some flaws but should improve into a starting QB.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

1st priority is that Keenum does NOT try and tackle anyone. And if he's rusty, he's still gonna give the team the best chance to win. Defense, hopefully, is a little better.

If they can get past UCLA I'll feel a lot more confident about the season though. If they can't I'll have flashbacks to last year's misery.

8. MexAmercnMoose

My body is ready....to tailgate!!!

9. jtagtp

jtagtp Member

Looking forward to sweating on saturday

10. AFS

AFS Member

Turner seemed to lack confidence? He played for about 3 minutes last season before having a season-ending injury (3 minutes after Case's season ending ACL injury). He was the clear #2 and I think we would have won more CUSA games had he been playing. Still probably woulda lost the UCLA game though.

I think UCLA is gonna try to use their run game to keep our offense off the field. I doubt our run defense has gotten any better, either.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

#11 DonnyMost, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

UH Homecoming jerseys...

[​IMG]

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I was reading an article on ESPN saying that the Coogs have a real shot at going undefeated and crashing the BCS this year. Will be interested to see what happens.

I'm too lazy to find the link, to be honest.

14. Buck Turgidson

Can they play defense?

15. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I just looked at the Coogs schedule, and wow they are playing some weak teams, so yes I think they have a chance at being undefeated. UCLA was terrible last year, and then they play Georgia State, North Texas, and Louisiana Tech for their non-conference games. I've never even heard of Georgia State. I don't think anyone is going to be very impressed with a good record when you are playing in C-USA and then playing a super weak non-conference schedule.

Hopefully the Coogs can move up to the Big 12 soon where they will at least be playing some quality teams.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Coogs can do this year if Keenum is healthy. I'll be disappointed if the defense still sucks.

16. Poloshirtbandit

We also don't play ECU or Southern Miss this year, two teams that give us the most trouble out of that side of the conference.

17. Poloshirtbandit

Sorry, meant to say UCF not ECU.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I like the arched lettering. Back when I went there in late the '90s seemed like they were always tryin' to throw some damn blue in there, just confusing.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Nice...

I suspect that Case is really looking forward to this game...one, bc its the team that he got injured from last year and two, they need this win...

I got my tickets for UNT next weekend...

Go Coogs!!!