1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#3 Oklahoma vs #15 Houston

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Fulgore, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This will probably be the 2nd hardest game that OU will play all season long, it's for sure not "just another game" for them......or if they think it is, they'll lose.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

My point really was that there won't be much of a home field advantage even though the game is in Houston since it's a "neutral" site.

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

This game is going to turn out much like last nights high school game between Katy and Austin Westlake. Katy going on the road with all the support they bring couldn't get by the home-field advantage factor from Austin Westlake.

Houston 34
    Okla 28

4. Nook

Nook Member

Why compare FSU and Oklahoma? Because they are considered similar caliber teams. FSU was 9th in the nation last year when UH played them. Oklahoma is only one ranking higher than FSU to open the season. They are expected to be similar talent wise. If you think Oklahoma is far better than FSU so be it, but it isn't supported by most the information available.

You think this game is more important to Oklahoma than Ohio State at home two weeks later? More important than TCU and Texas after that? Oklahoma State to end the season? ..... Not a chance in hell.... It is the first game of the season and against a ranked opponent ...... But they have 3-4 other games circled on their calendar before UH.

I never said anything about OU fans; they have very good fans.... but the game in in Houston, and it is an event. There has been a lot of press coverage of the UH program, their recruiting class and probable entry into the Big XII. There will be more UH fans than Sooner fans.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It'll likely be a harder to win game than TCU and a LOT harder to win than the game against Texas or Oklahoma State.

6. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. ItsMyFault

Yes I realize that FSU is much closer to the talent level of OU THIS year. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that they had one of the best recruiting years again? Or maybe that just doesn't really matter. FSU is much more talented this year coming in. They have a legit shot a CFB Playoff like OU. I don't think last year's team was nearly as good as this years team.

I don't think this is OU's most important game, no. But they are trying to make the college football playoff. They have expectations to make it back there again, and this game will matter just as much as those other games you listed if they want to get back there. So regardless, I don't see why this really even matters. A coach like Stoops knows how great this would look on their resume to beat a ranked team on a neutral site.

All I'm saying about the fan thing is that there will be enough OU fans in that stadium for there not to be an advantage for one team.

8. MystikArkitect

Less of an advantage. UH will still have the advantage. The Peach Bowl was 50/50 and UH had to travel a much farther distance to get there. What chance do you think OU has in Houston to split the advantage? Just reaching there.

Florida State had the best RB and best CB in the country and UH gutted them both. OU and FSU are pretty comparable. Better hope OU treats this with the same importance as they will OSU because if they don't they'll be heading back to OU with little to no shot at the playoff.

If UH can generate the turnovers they did last year I can't see OU beating them.

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The UH student allotment is 5,000.

10. AFS

AFS Member

So many of our turnovers were from a ballhawking secondary (aka "The Jackboyz"). We'll have to see if our secondary can still replicate that production with less experienced players.

11. ItsMyFault

I think the difference can be negligible enough so where it wouldn't affect the game. That's what the whole point of this is. I don't know about numbers, it could be 60/40 and I'd still say that isn't really much of an advantage.

Florida St. had Leonard Fournette? Elliot? Henry? McCaffrey Cook is pretty good, but he wasn't as good as those 4. FSU is more talented this year. They're walking in with another top 2 or 3 class again.

Why would I hope they win? For my sake, I'd hope they lose. I never like seeing OU win under any circumstance unless it benefits UT. Even as someone who dislikes OU, I'm just being realistic.

12. the shark

the shark Member

Absolutely agree with this!!!

13. Poloshirtbandit

I'm not sure how official this is, but

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/houston/90659

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

15. Aware

Aware Member

I think we can hang with them but i am worried about our defense
    We pretty much lost the entire secondary and our defensive leader in Elandon Roberts

Not worried about scoring on them

16. Poloshirtbandit

So Postma is going to be the starter and backup QB?

17. Poloshirtbandit

I meant to say punter and backup qb

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

UH pulling that upset

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Get ready for plenty of fake punts

20. PhiSlammaJamma

My contribution to the hype, a short Greg Ward Jr. fusion film:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NZECUpzAfZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>