1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How did people survive the 1970s-80s

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htwnbandit, Mar 8, 2014.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I always wondered about the legendary drug use in the 1970s-80s especially during rock concerts. Was the security just so dang lenient during those days? That wouldn't fly today, except for maybe during moshes or raves or something but it's not the same. The music is usually garbage. But yeah, I hear that lots of bands even carried their own drugs onstage, I simply don't know how that was allowed lol Just curious. If that's your thing, that's fine

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

My kid just took a massive dump.

3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Have you been to a hot bar or club lately? People don't exactly hide their drug use now, and they certainly aren't hard to find... it all just comes down to resources. Most law enforcement aren't worried about the users, they focus on the dealers.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Uhmmm people do drugs at concerts everywhere all the time.

5. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

That's the thing the dealers were out there selling their stuff just like food vendors lol

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

And they are still out there... they just aren't holding up signs. Getting drugs isn't hard, not even slightly. In fact, drugs are far more readily available than they ever have been. The "War on Drugs" hasn't done a damn thing.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

What's drugs?

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't remember that, and I went to a lot of Rock concerts in the 70's. Some people would smoke weed, but I would say that the majority did not. It wasn't that big of a deal.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

[​IMG]

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I've been to concerts at Toyota Center and felt like I was the only one who wasn't smoking weed. Everyone was firing up.

11. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Lol. If people can survive Woodstock, they can survive anything.

13. Relentless

Relentless Member

Wtf is this? Are you 12?

14. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

When I was in 8th grade I saw Rush's Permanent Waves tour in the Sam Houston Coliseum. I remember walking through the underground tunnels and seeing guys (long hair, vests) every few feet hawking "acid!", "weed!", "acid!", "acid!". As a 13 year old I was scared to death! Great show, though.

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

Stopped reading at "70's music is usually garbage".

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

NIce try, NARC...:eek:

17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yes, fortunately musicians and concert goers do not take drugs anymore. It was a lot like the Wild West :rolleyes:

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

But... why would people take illegal drugs? Aren't they afraid of going to jail?

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I never indulged, but remember concert experiences like Chase111 brought up plus a lot of weed and coke in high school. Answer for then, as it is now, is that some got sidetracked in life by drugs and ended up wasting their potential and chance at a good life. There were kids who you thought were going to make it, but by 10th grade had fallen off the cliff. If we're just talking musicians, there are obviously a ton who didn't make it: Hendrix, Joplin, Moon, Entwistle, Morrison, Gram Parsons, Elvis, Lowell George, and a host of others, not to mention actors and other celebs.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I think he said that music today is garbage.

In general, the 70's and 80's were a completely different era, entertainment-wise. No internet, big-screen TVs were a big luxury, video games were crap, cable TV was sparsely distributed, music was on the radio or via an album. You had more motivation to go outside and go to concerts, so you wanted to get the most bang for your buck.

As a kid, I didn't have cable or a video game system until the mid-80's, so I read a lot of books and played outside.