1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Friend Killed Himself Yesterday

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Nov 29, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really don't want to talk about this but I feel I have to unburden myself and it is easier to do this on Clutchfans than it is to my family who are trying to celebrate the holiday.

Yesterday when I was at Thanksgiving I was at the house of not close relatives, the older brother of my aunt by marriage and right before we sat down to dinner I got a text from a friend in Houston that a friend from high school killed himself. I was going to say something to my hosts but I didn't want to ruin Thanksgiving dinner. Especially since my two young cousins were there and with most of the people there I am not that close related wise or personally wise. I excused myself went to the bathroom and came back to the dinner like nothing happened. I got through it fine and I am pretty sure my relatives never suspected a thing but when I got home I couldn't stop thinking about it and just feel torn up inside all morning.

I haven't talked to anyone about this and have been trying to focus on some work I have to do and other things but every time I get a moment I think about my friend.

My friend who died had been troubled for years but I hadn't been close to him since I left Houston. He had been a good friend in high school and I always enjoyed seeing him when I visited Houston. I knew that he had issues and we talked a little about them but since I wasn't living there and he had family and very good friends there I always figured he had enough support to get through things. I am just shocked that things got so bad for him. I know that the Holidays can be hard on people, I often feel that way myself, but just didn't think it was that bad for him.

Sorry to bring y'all down and for anyone who reads this thanks for letting me unburden myself.

2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about your situation.

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Condolences....it'll get better. Maybe go see his parents one day.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Very sorry for your loss. Prayers for you, your friend and his family.

5. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

Hang in there man, really sorry for your loss. I know what you're going through. Just over this past summer a good friend of mine decided to take his own life and this was only a couple of months after our high school graduation. It's tough man, and it's gonna be days where you won't be able to stop thinking about your friend. Try staying busy, get your family and friends and just let your emotions out. It will get better.

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It's unfortunate that he took his own life, especially during these times. Prayers to you, your friend's family and friends.

7. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

my condolences...praying for you

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Very sorry to hear about this. I have no idea what pushed your friend over the edge, but this reminds me of how the holiday season is actually a huge downer for some people.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's hard to gauge what is too much for a troubled person, so don't beat yourself up too much about not being there more for him. Sometimes all it takes is one moment to go over the edge and it may just be a matter of luck.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the comments. I'm not beating myself up over this I think I probably could've been there more for him but like I said I hadn't been that close to him since I left Houston 20 years ago. I am more in shock over the situation as this just came out of the blue and had thought he was doing fine.

This is also hard because a week from today is also the six year anniversary of another really good friend dying suddenly. He died of a lung embolism and it was also completely unexpected.

11. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Sorry to hear that bro...

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'm sorry man, hang in there. I can relate to your situation and understand the feeling of shock and wondering if there was something you could have done. This is human nature and it is perfectly alright.

I'll echo several other posters and highly recommend visiting or contacting his family/friends. It may not be readily apparent, but hearing from all of his loved ones will help the family cope.

13. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

Sorry to hear :( Can't imagine what you're going through

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about your friend. I truly hope he has found peace somewhere.

15. conquistador#11

It's a cruel thing in life that we tend to grow apart from people we were once so close too. My condolences.

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about your friend. You can't really know how much people are hurting if they don't really want to be helped, so I hope you don't feel like you didn't do enough.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about your friend. It's never an easy situation.

18. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Saddened to hear this about your friend. There's not much you could have done, most of the time there are no warning signs, people make a sudden decision to end it all, and you're left wondering why. My thoughts and prayers go to his family.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

so sorry to hear this...

20. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Sorry man just hang in, the clouds will go away.