1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Article: Rockets' Beverley, Mother Find Houston A Perfect Fit

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Nov 24, 2013.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Here's a nice one on Pat and his mom:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...on-a-perfect-5006817.php?t=380bea174a006749db

Rockets' Beverley, mother find Houston a perfect fit
    By Jenny Dial Creech
    November 24, 2013

Lisa Beverley, mother of the Rockets' Pat Beverley, works at her salon, Just Tipz and Toez Nail Salon, which Lisa bought with money Pat sent her while overseas.

The sounds of fingernails being filed and a faint Lauryn Hill song in the background can be heard at Just Tipz and Toez Nail Salon on the east side of Houston.

It's a typical day at the salon - women catching up while having their acrylic nails filled in and decorated for the holidays.

Lisa Beverley looks for a shade of purple polish for her client - among the bottles are colors like "Lucky Lucky Lavender" and "A Grape Fit." She finds a few and begins adorning her client's nails.

Her phone beeps. A text from her son - he got in late the night before from Dallas and wants to catch up with her.

He got in late because he had a basketball game in Dallas.

Lisa isn't a typical nail salon owner and technician. She's also the mother of a successful NBA player - Rockets guard Pat Beverley.

A year ago, Pat couldn't call his mom in the middle of a Thursday. They couldn't plan to meet for dinner or chat. He was in Russia, playing for a pro team in St. Petersburg, and she was preparing to fly more than 5,000 miles to see him for Thanksgiving.

This year, she is preparing to cook her first Thanksgiving dinner for Pat, her 3-year old daughter, Mya, and any other Rockets players who wants to swing by.

"It's still so surreal that we are here together," Lisa said. "It's amazing to see how everything has worked out."

Lisa, 43, and Pat, 25, have taken quite the journey to Houston. From the time Pat rode his bike to basketball practice in Chicago when he was 12 to now, when he runs on the court as a Rockets starter, Lisa has been there.

A single mother, Lisa has pushed him the whole way, through every high and low of his career.

From late-night visits to the gym where she watched him shoot to trips to be with him in Ukraine when he started his pro career, she has always figured out how to be with him and how to keep working toward her goals and dreams.

Lisa's mother always stressed the importance of hard work. So when Pat sent his mother money every month from Russia and told her to stop working and start taking it easy, she took that money and opened a nail salon.

"You never know what can happen," she said. "Plus, I love working and running my business. It's important to me."

Lisa ended up in Houston about four years ago, when Pat started his career overseas. She wanted to move away from Chicago long before then because she didn't like that the city was "cold and violent." But Pat was excelling in basketball at Marshall High School, and she didn't want to make him start over.

Atlanta or Houston

She had friends and family in Houston and Atlanta and decided to move to Houston.

"I never knew he would end up here, too," she said.

Shortly after moving to Houston, Lisa gave birth to daughter Mya - now wide-eyed with a bright smile and pigtails who has Pat wrapped around her finger. And then in January, the Rockets signed Pat.

"To have them both here in Houston - all of us together is just a blessing," Lisa said.

The stars might have aligned to get Lisa and Pat to the same place, but it didn't come easily.

Headed overseas

Pat's basketball career started at the University of Arkansas. In his second season, he got into trouble academically and was going to have to sit out a year.

Instead, he went to play overseas - his first stop with Dnipro of the Ukraine second division. He was 19.

Lisa packed up her life in Chicago and boarded a plane to be with her son.

"When we got there, it was so cold and there was not really adequate heat in our apartment," she said. "We huddled together. We prayed."

Pat said having his mother there is what got him through his first year of pro ball. While he practiced and played in games, she made his small two-bedroom apartment a home. She cooked several meals, using the Google translate app on her phone to grocery shop. She held up the symbols on her phone to packages of meat so she would know what they were eating.

Work as a team

"She did all the big stuff, while I just played basketball," Pat said. "Having her there made it so much easier, so much more comfortable."

After several months, when Pat was settled, Lisa went back to Chicago. By then, she was working at several salons so she could be flexible for traveling to see Pat.

"Every time I watch him play, it feels like the first time I did when he was a kid," she said. "It gives me a lot of joy to see him follow his dream."

Pat said he wouldn't have achieved his goals or stuck with them if it hadn't been for Lisa.

"She helped me stay focused," Pat said. "I tried out for the Heat, got cut by the Heat, went to Cleveland, had a good training camp there. They didn't call me back. Been with the Bulls - never got an invitation to training camp. There were lots of times I was like, 'I might be done with the NBA. I want to give up.' She always told me to keep my eye on the prize. She always reminded me of my goals."

So Pat wasn't shocked when Lisa opened her salon in Houston. He isn't surprised at how well she is doing, and he isn't surprised she plans to keep going.

Next up is a salon school. Lisa plans to open one in the next couple of years in Houston.

Beverley Inc.

On top of her salon business, Lisa is Pat's manager. She is constantly working to build his brand, get him involved in local charities and make the most of his time in Houston.

If that's not enough, she chases her 3-year old. She is all smiles about her responsibilities.

"Life's too short to be stressed," she said. "I don't stress about anything. Everything happens for a reason. You control what you can and do the best you can."

That is something Pat has picked up from her. Despite the negativity and bumps in the road, he tries to be positive.

"I get all of that from her," Pat said. "You never see me in a down mood. I am always upbeat. I try to always be grateful for everything I have."

So is Lisa. She can't believe life has turned out this way for her and her family.

"It's surreal to be here with Pat and to have my business," she said. "And it feels right here. His teammates are like his brothers. There is a real closeness there. To see him so happy makes me so proud. All the hard work has paid off, and here he is. My son plays in the NBA.

"I still can't believe it."

2 people like this.
  2. muhaha

muhaha Member

Nice read!!! Keep it going PBS!

3. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Ultimate underdog story. Much like Lin. High character guy. Work hard and a good team. I'm happy for his mom and him. Best wishes!

4. torocan

torocan Member

Good for Bev.

Always good to see players bouncing back after hard work and persevering.

No wonder he and Lin are so close. It takes a certain kind of character to get to the NBA the hard way around.

5. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

awesome read, bravo!!

6. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing! I think more of us need to be reminded on a regular basis that all of our guys are human beings and don't deserve the negativity that is sometimes spewed at them in GARM.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Pat's mom is younger than Mutombo was when he played here.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

By about six or seven years.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

wonder why only 3 stars

10. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Amen! It's nice to read something positive for a change.

11. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

enjoyed the read GW

12. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

I voted to upped it. Did not budge :( lots of posters down rating this? This is awesome story of perseverance and hardworking.

13. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

^ hardwork....

14. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

Yes, indeed a great read!

15. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

16. cloud9

cloud9 Member

Really heartwarming read. :) Glad he's playing well and solidifying his place as a good NBA player.

17. coffeelover665

It's hard to not love this guy

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Don't get too attached, assets.

:) :(

19. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Great share! I love reading things like this about the players and their family.

20. Apache

Apache Member

cool story never give up