1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Groundwater Contamination May End the Gas-Fracking Boom

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Aug 24, 2013.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Groundwater Contamination May End the Gas-Fracking Boom

Well water in Pennsylvania homes within a mile of fracking sites is found to be high in methane

In Pennsylvania, the closer you live to a well used to hydraulically fracture underground shale for natural gas, the more likely it is that your drinking water is contaminated with methane. This conclusion, in a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA in July, is a first step in determining whether fracking in the Marcellus Shale underlying much of Pennsylvania is responsible for tainted drinking water in that region.

Robert Jackson, a chemical engineer at Duke University, found methane in 115 of 141 shallow, residential drinking-water wells. The methane concentration in homes less than one mile from a fracking well was six times higher than the concentration in homes farther away. Isotopes and traces of ethane in the methane indicated that the gas was not created by microorganisms living in groundwater but by heat and pressure thousands of feet down in the Marcellus Shale, which is where companies fracture rock to release gas that rises up a well shaft.

Most groundwater supplies are only a few hundred feet deep, but if the protective metal casing and concrete around a fracking well are leaky, methane can escape into them. The study does not prove that fracking has contaminated specific drinking-water wells, however. “I have no agenda to stop fracking,” Jackson says. He notes that drilling companies often construct wells properly. But by denying even the possibility that some wells may leak, the drilling companies have undermined their own credibility.

The next step in proving whether or not fracking has contaminated specific drinking-water wells would be to figure out whether methane in those wells came from the Marcellus Shale or other deposits. Energy companies claim that the gas can rise naturally from deep formations through rock fissures and that determining a source is therefore problematic. Yet some scientists maintain that chemical analysis of the gas can reveal whether it slowly bubbled up through thousands of feet of rock or zipped up a leaky well. Jackson is now analyzing methane samples in that way.

Another way to link a leaky fracking well to a tainted water well is to show that the earth between them provides pathways for the gas to flow. Leaky wells have to be identified first, however. Anthony Ingraffea, a fracking expert at Cornell University, is combing through the inspection reports for most of the 41,311 gas wells drilled in Pennsylvania since January 2000. Thus far, he says, it appears that “a higher percentage” of Marcellus Shale fracking wells are leaking than conventional oil and gas wells drilled into other formations. Stay tuned.

link

2. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/U01EK76Sy4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

there needs to be a shift in how America uses energy, point blank.

the only reason why fracking might actually be a positive is because anything is better than shoveling money to the Middle East---but the time is long past that the world realized that fossil fuels generated over millions of years, cannot be used forever to power our lives so cheaply.

4. treeman

treeman Member

Eh, don't hold your breath. I mean, the methane's in the water, not floating around in breathable form, so don't bother holding your breath.

Oh, and don't hold your breath for fracking to go away, either. It's been studied to death. This whole argument has been done to death. It's pretty damned safe, despite the occasional Erin Brokovich episode.

Me, I like being able to turn my lights on, run my A/C 24-7 (it's Texas, people). I like doing it at a price that doesn't preclude me from making drastic cutbacks in the budget to the point where I have to decide whether I want to suffer through 80 degrees in the house or not. I LIKE IT when the lights come on.

5. treeman

treeman Member

Oh, and NS - you don't get to lecture people who live in Texas about air conditioning. You're a Canadian. You don't get it. Down here you NEED it, up there you don't. Just putting that out there. ;)

6. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Eventually Texas will have stationary bikes in the prisons hooked up to the grid to generate all the energy it needs. Problem solved.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

surely Obama wants to outlaw fracking, but he doesn't dare do it before the 2014 election

after that he won't bother with legislation, he'll just tell the EPA to outlaw it with a decree

8. Nook

Nook Member

Yes and until proven otherwise this "prediction" will be shelved next to your absurdly flawed mathematical formula giving the 2012 election to Rit Momney.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

hardly conclusive evidence. Still no comprehensive, respectable study has proven fracking to be harmful.

The benefits far outweigh the costs -- but I agree that energy companies need to have regulations to govern what they are allowed to do out there, but that can be done without banning fracking.

Northside is just pissed that Canadian crude and gas have become less economic and Canada's #1 buyer of energy won't need as much. Send it to Asia, Canadians -- but you won't get as much money due to the transportation to get it there (*snicker*)

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

If there wasn't a problem here, you wouldn't have these companies paying off family after family and putting them under gag orders to keep them from talking about how their homes became unlivable after their water was contaminated by fracking.

There was that story recently that came out about how a family's young children were put under a lifetime gag order back in 2011 when their parents agreed to a settlement: http://www.businessinsider.com/gag-order-bars-two-us-children-from-talking-about-fracking-2013-8

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

12. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I'm fairly supportive of natural gas, because it has pretty good environmental benefits from the end usage. However, we do need to balance the interests of people's land where their water is being contaminated, or be properly, PROPERLY compensated. Treeman, it's nice for you to say there's lot of things you'd LIKE to do, but if it was your water that caught on fire, you'd be pretty pissed.

13. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Didn't that particular example end up being natural and not a result of drilling?

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I recall reading something about that, yes. In fact, I think the article said that this isn't all that uncommon at all.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Let's see, Pennsylvania, a state with over a thousand abandoned coal mines, a town that is completely barricaded because of a coal seem fire, where the oil industry first began at Oil Creek, with hundreds of known natural petroleum seeps (gas and oil), etc, etc - must be those frackers.:rolleyes:

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think what everyone should (I know, fat chance) be able to agree on: it's pretty darned complicated and anyone who says "oh it's totally polluting" or "oh it's totally never polluting" is just ignorant or biased.

Fracking is most probably safe in a majority of cases, and in some cases, it is probably contaminating ground water. There are also tons of natural sources (or sources from other manmade endeavors) that can taint water supplies. It's an incredibly difficult thing to study since water moves in crazy ways under the earth and we're a long way from where the action happens.

If there's something I like about this Scientific American article, it's that they're talking about fracking in different geologies and materials. We could probably end up with a very sensible set of simple rules: yes within rock type X, no within rock type Y.

I just don't see the need to form our traditional left and right leaning ranks over this, (even though Matt Damon did get involved). We need the energy, we don't need skanky drinking water, and there's probably a decent path to have both with fracking, once we learn more of the geology around it.

1 person likes this.
  17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

But it's the D&D.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I get that you're trying to play peacemaker with a middle ground approach, but I simply haven't seen conclusive evidence of the harm.

You can't shout "oh it's bad!! oh it's bad!" over and over without proof, and then claim that the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

19. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

And there you have it, folks. We need to find a balance.

20. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

I'm an in house landman in Colorado and the amount of regulation the state has here is literally insane. Environmentalists pretty much resort to scare tactics even when their arguments contradict the environmental assessments by the BLM (bureau of land management) in conjunction with Federal & State environmental authorities for specific projects.

It's not uncommon for these entities to bribe oil & gas companies into paying sums of cash or agreeing to buy lands for conservation... I've seen it first hand. What I'm learning is that extremist progressives have hijacked the Democratic party here and are attempting a statewide shutdown of drilling. They are just as bad as the religious right in Texas.