1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music] Most underrated 80's hard rock/metal band

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mikus, Feb 11, 2014.

1. mikus

mikus Member

I agree, Electric is a fantastic album, but while not as classic, Sonic Temple is the album that got me into The Cult and I later got into their previous albums Love and Electric. I still really like Fire Woman.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZHNiYIvt7ag?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I just started listening to some of Saxon's albums and I just do not have a clue how these guys weren't bigger then they were. Barely got their records into the American market, none charted. Only saw moderate success in the UK, but I seriously do not understand how classics like "Wheels of Steel" and "Heavy Metal Thunder" did not chart in the US. They're still together and rocking, so that's cool. If you're an 80s rock fan, you won't regret listening to Wheels of Steel, Strong Arm of the Law and Denim and Leather albums.

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

The Scorpions had a few good albums.

4. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

But they're certainly not underrated. The Scorpions, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Van Halen, and Def Leppard- those were the acknowledged kings of heavy metal for most of the 80s (OK, and Motley Crue, Ratt, etc.)

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Killer Dwarfs
    Danger Danger
    TNT

6. Nook

Nook Member

Just when I think there is nothing to see in this thread I see this little gem. Mother Love Bone was/is one of the best bands ever, even with a very small sample size. Wood was going to be one of the biggest musicians in the world and very well may have been the father of grunge.... I highly recommend them...

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Agreed. You're right.

Slayer had several stellar albums
    Y&T were never big but pretty solid
    Whitesnake
    Molly Hatchet

8. mikus

mikus Member

I agree with your list :cool:

I had the Dirty Weapons, Danger Danger(self titled), and Intuition albums. I'll also add Giant to this group.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

My favorite Danger Danger's album is Cockroach, which got shelved when grunge went big.

I heard Dirty Weapons first in 98 and wondered how in the world I had not heard it sooner. Probably another victim of grunge.

I never once heard TNT on KLOL back in the late 80s. It probably should not, but that surprises me. BTW, Realized Fantasies is another must have TNT album.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I spent the 1980's going to concerts by groups I became a fan of during the 1960's and 1970's, with a few exceptions. Worked for me.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

They could only be loved
    by you

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sorry, but any album that I own does not qualify for this thread.

Besides, it breaks Rockets2K's other criteria about radio play. I'm probably guilty of overplaying this band on KTRU, along with about five other KTRU DJs.

13. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

And those exceptions are?

14. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Hey do you know HK? I played in Buddha on the Moon w/him back in 93 and we still do some things together from time to time.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

16. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

The other day I discovered a band called Helstar, and they're from Houston! No clue how this got past me, but their album Burning Star (1984) is killer!! The singer James Rivera has a great voice, like a mix between Rob Halford and Dio. He was at the Saxon show (another underrated 80s band), and it wasn't until he left did I find out he was the lead singer of this band.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Djad3EfYDg4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The first 'heavy' band I ever saw in 1969:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0x6chChxzV0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But the answer to the thread question is Ronnie James Dio.

#97 Dubious, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  18. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

Queensrÿche anyone? I know Empire was huge. But as a progressive metal band, they never seemed to fit in with the hair metal of the 80's or even the grunge scene of the 90's. Despite making one of the best concept albums of all time, they were still an opening act until 1990's Empire.

19. axstar713

axstar713 Member

Although they were big in Europe, Mercyful Fate never gained the following here in the 80s they should have - King Diamond and his solo act is probably bigger now than they were back then but the original MF band/lineup on the first two full-lengths was just sick. Another band that now due to the internet is getting their due is Manilla Road out of Wichita, Kansas - that might've had something to do with it, too lmao Mark Shelton is a great guy and the band has produced some great music over the years.

20. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Most deff Ratt