1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Home Theater AVR Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Dec 22, 2014.

1. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

If you do all audio into the TV and optical from TV into the receiver you won't have to worry about that ARC stuff. Still, it's the same thing. Optical is digital, so it supports all the digital sound schemes. :eek: I've set it up this way for many people already and they prefer it like this.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm really liking the 1510, thanks for coming in screwing up my list. :grin:

Where are you getting that "1.2x multiplier" from. My biggest hesitation at the moment is the wattage rating.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Can someone explain this ARC thing and why would you want it?

Is it so you can have the AVR's GUI on the display? Otherwise it seems pointless, just use the TOSLINK to a new input.

5. myco

myco Contributing Member

deleted

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No. Optical does not pass higher resolution sound mixes like DolbyHD and DTSHD.

1 person likes this.
  7. HR Dept

It just eliminates the need for a TOSLINK. It enables the HDMI input on a TV to send audio out to a receiver, and enables the HDMI output on a receiver to receive audio from a TV.

Seems like I'm talking in circles, but basically it allows HDMI inputs/outputs to toggle seamlessly from input to output as needed. Clear as mud.

8. Bandwagoner

I misread the initial post and thought you still needed TOSLINK for audio. I can see the advantage now. Optical only supports lossy 5.1

9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Nobody said Sonos?

Great system and avoids the need for wires.

Gives you the flexibility to expansion at your pace/budget.

Great connectivity and easy expandability.

Easy integration with your favorite music apps (Pandora, Spotify) + comes with tons of pre-loaded stages, both regional and national

can be split out as separate channels or used in unison

1 person likes this.
  10. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

That's what I meant. I've owned Sony ES before and Denon. Eventhough those are rated at 120w and 140w per channel, my HK rated at 95 w per channel out played those greatly. That 95 w per channel for HK = 120-130 w per channel for Sony. You don't even have to crank it up more than 30% on HK and if you have good speakers then it is very clear and crisp. I think the best buy store by Galleria has HK; you can listen to it there.

LCAhmed bought a new HK Receiver. Maybe find his name on the board and email him to get his input on hit.

11. Bandwagoner

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

13. HR Dept

This is defintely not what I wanted to see. Looks like I'm going to have to wait for more options to come out in 2015. I think I'm set on a Harmon Kardon receiver and I don't see any with the specs you listed anywhere close to my price range.