1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AUDIO - Daryl Morey Trade Deadline Moves 2015 @ SportsTalk790AM

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Dominant, Feb 21, 2015.

?

About Daryl Morey...

Poll closed Feb 6, 2016.
  1. I love how he deals with trades.

57.4%
  2. I hate how he deals with trades.

3.3%
  3. I'm stuck in the middle & have mixed feelings about how he deals with trades.

19.7%
  4. I don't care about his decisions anymore.

8.2%
  5. He does not care about winning a championship, he cares more about analytics.

6.6%
  6. He does not care about the Rockets organization, he cares more about being in the spotlight as a GM.

4.9%
  1. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

<iframe width="670" height="377" scrolling="no" src="https://media.iheart.com/player/embed.html?autoStart=false&useFullScreen=true&mid=25828458&siteid=589&startButtonColor=0xA33335&share=http://www.sports790.com/media/podcast-sportstalk790-spotlight-790interviews/sportstalk790-spotlight-rockets-gm-daryl-morey-25828458/" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" ></iframe>

Not sure if posted already.. but Daryl Morey joins The Proper Gentleman of Sports 790AM to discuss the moves he made at the trade deadline 2015.

2. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Let me guess: "we had a couple of moves, looked at a couple of things, ended with 2 solid players that we liked and coveted for a long time. Great shooter, old but still awesome underrated defender who was stuck in NY and a long athletic freak who can turn into a star and we like to find talent, not pay for them"

3. valorita

valorita Member

You forgot to add...
    We feel like this keeps our flexibility in the future as well as bolster our roster now.
    My goal is to put us in the best position to contend for a championship.
    We have the best owner in Mr Alexander and a great coaching staff.
    James Harden is da real MVP.
    We just want Dwight healthy for the playoffs.
    The west is very competitive.

1 person likes this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

I liked this trade deadline. He didn't overpay for a Gogi 2 month rental and manages to shore up backup PG for the rest of the season while getting a high upside high in KJ. All that for Schved's corpse, a couple of very late second rounders and (sadly), the slumping Canaan who could turn out to have a great NBA career somewhere.

He is going for it this season but not locking himself out during summertime and still looking ahead to Durant. Having the Beard around getting KD is a definite possibility.

5. Mr. Dominant

Based on what Morey said about KJ, it seems he really likes him. Is it safe to say he's coming back next year and possibly the next?

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

canaan - already proven 3pt shooter, had multiple hot streaks in nov/dec. that means he's perfect for the rockets offense. but gets glued to the bench when eveyrone's heatlhy and loses his shot

kj - cant shoot for ****. if kostas gets glued to teh bench even though he can pass, rebound, slash and defend, why should kj get minutes if he can only defend and a better slasher than papa?

i dont like that trade but am willing to see how it pans out.

1 person likes this.
  7. Raven

Raven Member

The fact that you guys are nailing it is proof positive that Morey is overexposed. The guy is way too media friendly.

1 person likes this.
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The key info was when Morey said that, while optimistic, the uncertainty surrounding dwight's health factored into what they did at the deadline.

This makes me feel better, but not. That is to say...this helps me understand the lack of a deadline impact move on our part. Preserving our assets and cap flexibility makes sense if you aren't sure Dwight's coming back for the playoffs.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

My opinion....but the team has pivoted from building around "Dwight & Harden" to building around "Harden"...where Dwight is just one of the satellite pieces.

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

You put it better than anyone else so far.

This team is now Harden centric. We are no longer looking for a 3rd star.......we're looking for a 2nd. That puts us at a different stage in development.

We are loaded with tons of assets right now:

DMo
    TJones
    Capela
    McDaniels
    NOP 1st
    NYK 2nd
    Rights to Gentile
    Rights to Llull

11. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

mmm I love public poles.

12. Airdough

Airdough Member

We all thought the Rockets were loaded with assets at the deadline as well. KJ also can't be an asset because he's a restricted free agent.

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

They are "loaded". They just decided not to spend them on a rental or above average point guard.

KJ will be an asset once he's resigned. My guess is he's signs a 2 year $4 million deal that makes him a RFA again in 2017.

14. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Maybe Sergio will finally come over next year

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

I don't see how he would fit in this team . He was supposed to say that he like him anyway.

Prigioni seems like a back up of a backup Terry but might get actual PT

16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Lull will be in a Rockets uniform later on when his grandchildren convince him to give the NBA a shot.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

As I recall, his buyout drops dramatically this year. I believe it's been the Rockets plan to bring him over this year for a while now.

Gentile's buyout drops in 2016, so I'd watch for him to come next year.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Prigs is better than you expect, he is a solid defender and a very good and efficient shooter. The real issue is that he isn't a volume player or scorer. He is not going to play 40 minutes or take 20 shots. He is a very good back up point guard capable of playing 15-20 minutes a night. He is also a very capable passer and makes good decisions.

I am more concerned with our starting PG.

19. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Prigioni seems capable of handling the ball in a pick and roll set. Something Terry doesn't seem to do well. I think we'll see him a lot when Harden is on the bench or when Harden is getting doubled before touching the ball.

20. Mr. Dominant

I'd like to see Prig's play with Harden..,