1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking Down James Harden's Shot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fchowd0311, Aug 23, 2015.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

[youtube]-yO300zBl34[/youtube]

Intersting video. He probably has the smoothest release off the dribble in the NBA behind Curry.

1 person likes this.
  2. Ohreally

Ohreally Contributing Member

nice video

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Fun video. It would have been that much better if they didn't talk about his defense. It's like there is a check list when it comes to talking about Harden and his defense is 1B on the list.

Harden could turn into the best defender in the league tomorrow and he would never live that no defense video down.

4. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

Paul Pierce huh, i woulda thought Brandon Roy before the knee injury

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i thought this said he broke a bone or something. :(

6. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

When the season going start again?

7. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

He said Paul Pierce, but with better handles. Which is fair enough.

8. NotChandlerParsons

In terms of longevity, hopefully he'll end up as a Pierce rather than a Roy.

9. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I saw this about 5-6 days ago and never posted in on here, figured it would be somewhere on here already. good video. it's such a nice shot he has

10. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

you are quite right, sir.

11. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Unless of course he ever ends up in LA where he'll be recognized as the GOAT Defender and his infamous defense video will mysteriously disappear.

1 person likes this.
  12. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

That's a good one, that guy could change speeds in mid air. The superstitious me is glad he didn't make that comparison. I'll be happy if he is like Pierce and is so old he looks like the crypt keeper handling the ball out there.

13. Exiled

Exiled Member

During Harden NBA draft, he compared him self to a mixture ofPierce and Manu G.

14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Those are both pretty good comps. I see Pierce the most, but that eurostep is classic Manu. The one huge thing Harden has over both of those guys is he is a much stronger version of either making him more effective at finishing through contact(the "Harden way").

This makes me feel pretty good about Harden's future(any long time Rocket fan is condition to worry about their star's future). Pierce & Manu both are future hall of famers who have managed to be effective offensive players very late into their careers because they excel at being crafty and highly skilled - two of Harden's biggest strengths. I would be very happy to see Harden keep doing this for another decade...

15. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Cool video. We have never seen a guy like Harden before.

Strong as an ox for a 2-guard, deadly shooting from deep, relentless driving to the hole, perfectly unselfish.

I'm expecting a HUGE year from Harden this year with Lawson getting him easy buckets. I'm talking 28ppg 5rpg 5apg on 50/40/88 shooting splits

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I don't get the Paul Pierce thing. Pierce had a pretty good post game and was always receiving the ball in scoring range. You give Harden the ball anywhere and that is the play. Similar step backs shots though. Pierce was a solid player in his prime.

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Pierce used to be able to create one on one - he just doesn't have as good a first step as Harden...and when most people talk of Pierce they remember 30+yr old Pierce, not the 25 yr old playing on a bad Celtic team. They are pretty similar in terms of weight, and height, from neighboring high schools, have similar crafty games that don't rely on athleticism. Also, look at this:

Harden followed by Pierce's stats at 25:
    27.4ppg, 7ast, 5.7 reb, 1.9 steals, .7 blocks, 10.2 free throw attempts per
    25.9ppg, 4.4ast, 7.3 reb, 1.8 steals, and .8 blocks. 9.5 free throw attempts per

...Harden reflects a better stat line on a much better team but you get the point - their games are similar, the results are very similar, etc. The Manu comp to me is the odd comparison because they aren't really that similar aside from being lefties with a Eurostep.

18. dream2franchise

Once you watch more and more film, especially of his step-backs, you'll see he's always on his toes. Great balance and strength right there.

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

His triple threat is very much like Paul Pierce, his shooting motion is a much smoother Manu, his euro is more dwade imo than manu. His playmaking and skill set is LeBron james. The way he surveys the court and swings the ball from one side of the court to the other is the closest I have seen to lebron in the last 5-6 years.

What separates Harden from Paul pierce and manu is he's a much better athlete. At the combine he measured at a 37 inch verticle and his shuttle times were actually better than wades. The thing about James is he doesn't have to use his athletic ability like others because he's such a smart basketball mind with incredible skill set much like Steph curry.....but out of no were he'll split the defense and flush a monster jam down a centers throat, it's very sudden and he doesnt use it much and im glad.

When u think about it James harden is a freak of nature he's 6'5 225-235lbs can handle the ball like a pg, has enough strength to bang with most 4s and is quicker than almost every 2/3 in the game. Combine that with his shooting/driving/passing ability and you have an offensive juggernaut.

We're very lucky he's on our team because his game will age very well and his shooting touch should continue to get better year after year. Good times rockets fans harden has a real chance to crack the top 5 sg of all time.

20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

From a coaching perspective, one of the things I like most about James' shot is how low he stays on the ground. He's all muscle in his upper body. For those of us who are terrified of injuries (Tmac,Yao,Chuck,PatBev etc...), James plays with a style that lends itself to staying healthy. If he were guarded by that dirty ass Bruce Bowen, he wouldn't twist his ankles because his vertical during a jumper or 3 is relatively low to the ground. However, as good as he is at using his body to get into the paint, draw the foul or hit his shot with continuation, he could easily be knocked down hard by the likes of, say, Boogie Cousins.

The other aspect that makes James unique is being a lefty. That is so incredibly difficult for the opposition to guard because most players are dominant with their right hand. A lot of defenders have spacial difficulties and agility issues when guarding a left-handed player because their body is not conditioned to balance that way. It's similar to Cuttino. When you put him on that left side in an isolation, guys could NOT guard him. Both he and James have that quick first step. Moreover, James doesn't fade away from his shot, allowing the arc on his shot to not be too, too steep. This allows a more proficient shot because of the momentum, and luckily for us, gives James the chance to be fouled by the opposition on nearly every shot. If he chose to fade away, he wouldn't get to the line. Instead, he uses his upper body to make guarding him an absolute nightmare.

The way he shoots the ball over (not behind) his shoulders/head makes him equally dangerous. Plus, his shot is consistent. As much as I love his game, Trev doesn't always shoot the ball the same way, which is arguably a reason why he has nights where he can't score. If you watch James getting the ball from a kick out, his left hand/arm are always in the same position. Same with his feet, although it's unorthodox on his toes, with one foot slightly in front of the other when he starts to land. It's similar to how Tmac landed, but Tracy also chose to shoot with more elevation and a very defined foot in front, along with a crazy shoulder crunch (that's just what we call it...like Durant at the FT line)

Kevin Martin, although efficient, is the antithesis of James when it comes to shooting. That setup from the hip is easier to guard because there isn't a full extension or protection of the ball.

I do wish he'd build some more muscle and lean out a bit, as well as strengthening his legs. Eventually, those babies are going to get tired with the amount of shots he takes, along with his glides to the basket to score or draw a foul. No one wants to see him with Plantar Fasciitis . So, so painful and a long recovery for volume shooters.

Again, I see James having a better year than last, mainly because he has more help in the backcourt. His assists may go down, but that's assuming he isn't doubled as much out of fear that guys like Trev (our glue), MT, TY, Pat,CB etc...will nail 3 after 3. But, James is an underrated passer too. We just haven't seen that as much because his role has been defined as the scorer, facilitator and offensive "boss" (Insert Rick Ross' voice ..uggh ;) )

DM sure made a good trade and contract extension. We're lucky to have a unique superstar that can do everything including playing defense. If he keeps that up, he could easily be the MVP. Offense is easy for him. Defending the opposing team's best player is a harder task that shouldn't be limited to Trev or Pat.

It's good to be a Rockets fan. :)