1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Today I visited a Rudy T Clutch City shrine

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BleedsRocketRed, Aug 12, 2015.

1. BleedsRocketRed

So I was in Detroit these last couple days and I happened to be in Hamtramck MI. Suddenly I remembered that Rudy T was from the area and after watching the Clutch City documentary I made it my mission to find the park where he wrote in fresh cement "Rudy T was here"

Unfortunately the name of the park from the documentary isn't marked on google maps so I couldn't just search for it. I looked ALL OVER google maps/satellite to try to find every park with basketball courts. It was daunting because I didn't know how updated these images were, so it was pure random luck. I watched the video and tried to see what buildings and land marks were around it and do some detective work. (all this on my tablet while me and my girlfriend drove around the city just looking for anything we could recognize) After about an hour of driving and searching I was thinking its probably time to just give up. Then, my girlfriend thought she saw the building from the freeway (randomly down a side road as we were going down the highway), so we pull over and head towards them. To our shock, it was the blue and white building from the video! (background building from the video) I open google maps again, zoom into the area looking for a park... BAM! There was one, and it looked just like it.

We headed towards there, through what a really, really run down neighborhood. The park area was surprisingly nice though. (if you haven't been to Detroit, then you have no idea how bad some of the areas can be...my goodness)

Walked up to the park and here it was...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The beginning of one of the most important pieces of Clutch City. I must admit, it was really, really cool walking up and seeing his imprint. Seeing the area. What the city might have been like and what it is today. It was really an eye opener and now I understand what Rudy meant in the documentary. That is one GRITTY and ROUGH city...

Anyway, thought I would share with my fellow Clutch Fans.

Oh, and sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. Not sure of it belongs here or in the hangout. Move if need be

34 people like this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Awesome job! Coolest new thread around here since Paging Cyberx went bye-bye. :grin:

2 people like this.
  3. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Nice detective work, repped!

1 person likes this.
  4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I thought you found an old Taco Cabana .... still very awesome.

1 person likes this.
  5. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Great story and pics. Two thumbs up!

1 person likes this.
  6. PhiSlammaJamma

The rumor is that Matt Bullard discarded the Detroit Piston duffle bag from the trade within a three block radius of that park. See what you can dig up. We need to get our hands on the Sean Elliot medical records that Matt put in there.

1 person likes this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is awesome.
    Rudy T always belongs in the GARM.

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

You should have shotgunned a Bud Light there in Rudy's honor.

2 people like this.
  9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

sweet, want to go

1 person likes this.
  10. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

This is a legendary find. Nice work!

1 person likes this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Awesome. thx for sharing.

And sounds like you have a keeper gf for helping with your long, arduous and important Rockets' quest and making you turn around one last time when you were ready to give up. It's like straight from a hollywood script.

1 person likes this.
  12. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Awesome, that is a story you'll always remember. It sounds like the girl is a keeper too.

1 person likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Awesome story, Clutch bro.

Do you mark that place on Google maps as a Clutch City shrine?

1 person likes this.
  14. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zYt0WbDjJ4E?controls=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  15. photojoe

photojoe Member

What a story. Just drove around the city just looking for anything that you recognize? I definitely wouldn't have that much patience.

1 person likes this.
  16. BleedsRocketRed

Thanks guys!

I figured it would be pretty awesome to do. I grew up with those teams so it was something I would have loved to say I did. The GF and I were just visiting Detroit for a couple days and we really had no plans as to what to do and where to go. (the GF lived in Detroit for a few years) I am of Polish heritage, and she wanted to show me the Hamtramck neighborhood and it just "clicked" when I heard it. She took it as an adventure herself, and with all the driving around we got to explore the area. It was just a good day

Here is the exact location of the "shrine" (haha)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...3.0750703,74m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

I was trying to add it as a point of interest, but cant find the option to do so (damn google maps and their updates)

1 person likes this.
  17. BleedsRocketRed

Yeah I figured that it has to be in or around the city of Hamtramk somewhere...(its surrounded buy the city of Detroit) Its in just an obscure place though, it made it hard to find. City isn't too big but it did take some exploring to find it.

Thankfully I had my tablet on me at the time, there would have been no way I would have found it without it. Oh and the GF too, shes the one that spotted the building after all

18. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Awesome! Repped!

1 person likes this.
  19. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

That's actually a cool story, bro.

1 person likes this.
  20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

One of the coolest things I've ever read on CF. Right up there with rockHEAD talking to Hakeem at the grocery store.