1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

the flopping has to stop

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by stangend77, Jan 10, 2007.

1. stangend77

stangend77 Member

the NBA need to address the flop.......it has gotten to the point where it has began to detract from the game. i like the old days when players like charles oakley (hurts to say) and otis thorpe took pride in being brick walls.....they had pride in standing their ground. what happened to these days it seems everyone flops now, the league needs to address this with the refs this offseason! :mad:

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I thought the greatest threat to the integrity of the game wasn't guys setting picks/taking charges, but the double standard of how a guy like Yao can get manhandled in the post and not get the foul where a guy like Wade can get brushed against en route to the basket and get the call. The league clearly hasn't addressed the problem of offensive players who create contact to get the foul. The league rules have been changed time and time again to favors quick slashers in an effort to make the game more exciting - but it's ruining the sport when it puts other highly skilled players/positions at a disadvantage to sell a few more season tickets and corporate sponsorships.

...but as much as I blame Stern and his cronies the NBA players assosciation is just as much to blame for giving Stern absolute power to manipulate the rules as he sees fit.

3. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Fans around the league need to bring signs, and chant, "STOP THE FLOP!".

I hate floppers. :mad:

4. pandazn

pandazn Member

And we have two of the prime floppers right here in our division.

Cough Ginobili Cough Dirk Cough.

Excuse me will you? I'm sick. SICK OF THE FLOPPING.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Most flop calls are at best no-calls, aka incidental contact.

I also hate when players step out on a pick and roll, aka moving pick.

Karla was a master of both.

6. stangend77

stangend77 Member

d wade does alot of floppin too.....i assume you are talkin about karla malone..........and if so that is quite good! :D

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Battier, Hays and Howard all flop....

I think it is great the way it is...

DD

8. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

No way. Chuck and Shane take head on collisions. If a 250 pound runaway train runs you over, that's not a flop.

Juwan, now that's a flopper. But it's not like it's a big part of his game.

Guys like DWade, Ginobili, Nowitzki are the flopping stars

Then you have players like Jerome James, Danny Fortson, Reggie Evans (all Seattle guys. What is it about Seattle?), Eddie Curry, Robert Horry (i know this is not popular, but I am talkin about his last couple of years) who have carved a career out of flopping

9. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Taking a charge isn't flopping. Study Dallas or San Antonio if you want to see flopping. Those guys will fall down on a jumpshot without even being touched, not with the intention of stopping a player's progress to the basket but only to pick up a cheap foul.

I also think a player should only get so many "initiate contact" calls a game. Players like AI, Kobe, and Wade get an extra 8-10 points a game from running into traffic, creating contact and then taking the shot. That's cool a couple times a game, but there's a limit. Heck, I've seen the Rockets exit the lane like they were parting the Red Sea and still get called for fouls when a superstar is driving.

10. haven

haven Member

What do you want players to do? Not squeeze every advantage they can while on the court? Flopping, as far as I know, isn't illegal. This isn't soccer. You can't pick up a foul for diving. Until there's some sort of punishment, it's unrealistic - and unfair - to expect players to stop flopping.

Now, if you're saying the league should take action by making simulation a foul apart from blocking - then we're in agreement.

11. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

devin harris is the master of flopping.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

juwan's a flopper but like macfan said it's not a recognizeable part of his game. shane and hayes are most definitely not floppers.

i remember the refs making the claim they were going to clean up flopping either a couple years ago or last year. nothing's changed. some of the stuff they fall for and blow the whistle on make them look real stupid.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

the point isn't to outlaw the actual flopping but to quit rewarding the floppers by giving the opposing player a foul. if dirk wants to fall over when a guy walks past him, let him, but don't blow a whistle.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Or if it is an obvious flop give a foul to the flopper......like in Soccer, where an obvious flop gets yellow carded.

DD

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'd say it should be a tech, but either way, I'm all for that.

Evan

16. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i wish someone would just mock the floppers in front of the refs. even it costs a tech for showing up the ref, so be it. just make a point that it totally ridiculous.

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

It is a direct result of the Jazz teams of the '90's.

All the more reason to hate them.

19. goyao11

goyao11 Member

i would have to disagree...
    to a certain degree...

if a man gets the position first and then the offensive player runs into him, however lightly, he should by all means flop.
    there is a reason offensive fouls were implemented

however, fake flopping is bad and it ruins the flow of the game
    but its gonna happen anyways because people are alwasy trying to see how much they could get away with...

20. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

We Like the flop!
    Sincerely,
    [​IMG]