1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any Mark Jackson Fans? (Mark Jackson Celebrity Roast)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Sep 14, 2004.

1. DaneB

DaneB Member

Any Mark Jackson Fans?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/231724p-199004c.html

NBA players and coaches, past and present, will mock Mark Jackson's foot speed tonight. They will poke fun at the point guard's lack of defensive prowess and his unorthodox jump shot, and joke that Jackson never met a television camera he didn't like.

And no one will be laughing harder than Jackson.

"This is really a chance for me to say thank you to the people who have meant a lot to my career," said Jackson, the honoree for a celebrity roast in Manhattan. "It covers the board: pros, college and high school."

Jackson's wife, Desiree, organized the roast at the W Hotel to benefit two non-profit organizations, The Little Princess Foundation and The Kingdom Kids Club. Patrick Ewing, Reggie Miller, Ron Artest, Rod Strickland, Kenny Smith, Lou Carnesecca, Rick Pitino and Jeff Van Gundy are all scheduled to appear at the event, which Jackson insists is not a retirement dinner.

"I know I can still play and help a team," he says, "especially after watching the slow and robotic players from overseas win medals. The Olympics gave me hope. Being athletic, quick and a high jumper doesn't make you a great basketball player. Sometimes you take a girl to the dance and she doesn't look as good as you thought she did. There's nothing wrong with calling your old girl."

Jackson finished last season as the backup to Steve Francis with the Houston Rockets but he remains unsigned.

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Marc Jakson, remember when we almost had him. And we were o so happy about it too.

3. Center

Center Contributing Member

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I appreciated his help last year and wish him good luck for the future.

5. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

Wasn't that bad last year as times but isn't even a backup at this point in his career...

6. cody

cody Member

Good luck!

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

8. DaneB

DaneB Member

LOL :D

I was looking to see if it was on the first page anywhere, but never saw it. Maybe you're right :rolleyes: :p

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Try again. :D

10. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

JVG: ¡°Everything with Yao Ming is a Chinese saying,¡±

http://www.nba.com/knicks/community/jaxroast_040914.html

11. Matador

Matador Member

thanks for the article! Here is the whole thing.

Former Knick Honored with Celebrity Roast
    Mark Jackson Feels The Love... and the Heat
    by Tom Kertes

NEW YORK, NY, September 14, 2004 - That people around the NBA are tall and talented are two general givens. But we didn’t discover that they are also extremely funny until last night’s Mark Jackson Celebrity Roast at mid-Manhattan’s “W” Hotel.
    Dean Martin -- before, after, or during his fifth martini -- didn’t have a thing over these guys.

“I’m not worried,” the onetime great Knicks point guard (who clearly was) said before the beginning of the festivities. “Most of these guys will be using material I gave them. I’m a part time comedian anyway. I’ll be ready. And it’s for a great cause.” All of the evening’s proceeds went to the Little Princess Foundation and Kingdom’s Kids, “a children’s camp in Atlanta that goes about things the right way,” according to Mark. The pre-Roast mood was so festive that Patrick Ewing decided to talk to the press. “I just got a call to be here,” he said. “And Chuckie is such a good friend that, well, I am here.” But why did he call Mark “Chuckie”? “Charlie Brown, of course!” Ewing thundered. “That big head!”

The fabulous turnout to honor him -- over 700 guests from all walks of life -- probably made Mark’s head even bigger. After 98.7 KISS FM DJ Talent introduced Mark Phillips -- one of the nation’s leading jazz saxophonist was out o’ sight -- and Jax’s gifted wife Desiree sang “The Wind Beneath My Wings”, a celebrity auction ensued. A Magic Johnson signed jersey and ball went to Jalen Rose – for $7,500! Ewing copped a Gary Sheffield signed Yankee MVP Louisville Slugger. Rose then also won an Alexis Gianni Man’s Fur for $4,000 – and gave it to Mark Jackson. “It’s the least I can do,” a near-teary Rose said.

Talent then read a congratulatory fax from an out-of-the-country Dikembe Mutombo AS Dikembe Mutombo. It was hilarious -- Dikembe himself couldn’t have done it better.

Now the hardcore roasting began. Comedian Bowlegged Lou kicked things off by recalling how Mark (and best friend Dave Snowden) invited him to participate in a Celebrity Basketball Game (“where Mark and Dave kept all the profits”). Lou was amazed how Mark became No. 2 in NBA history in assists (“Mark told me to make sure I mention that”). Finally, the Bowlegged One cited that Mark’s mom was from one of the islands. “Riker’s!”

Lou Carnesecca, Mark’s college coach at St. John’s, maintained that all the criticism of Mark’s game was “so unfair”. “People said first, he’s slow. Second, he can’t shoot. Third, he can’t defend. When in fact, first, he couldn’t defend. Second, he couldn’t shoot. And third, he was slow.”

“But one thing he could do was WIN, everywhere he went,” concluded Carnesecca.

Knicks trainer Mike Saunders, who was seen practicing his speech -- hard -- before the roast, brought down the house. “I’ve known Mark for going on 20 years,” he said. “I love him -- and I think he feels the same way. I always told him there isn’t a thing I wouldn’t do for him. He told me the same thing. And, in fact, for 20 years we haven’t done a thing for each other.” Saunders then introduced Rockets’ (and onetime Knicks) coach Jeff Van Gundy as “Stan’s brother”.

“I see Alonzo Mourning left early,” the very dry Van Gundy observed. “He was afraid I’d finish him off from seven and a half years ago when I was attached to his leg. I saw the fear in his eyes.” “Everything with Yao Ming is a Chinese saying,” added Van Gundy who coached Mark at Houston last season. “After a game, when Baron Davis repeatedly burnt Mark, Yao came over to me and said: ‘Coach, the Chinese saying is either Baron Davis is very fast, or Mark Jackson is very slow.’”

Rick Pitino, Mark’s coach when he was a rookie with the Knicks, recalled how Mark’s fellow point guard, Rod Strickland, was simply incapable of showing up on time. “And tonight, he had the audacity to bid on a watch!” Pitino said.

A visibly emotional Jackson spoke last. “It’s not about money, it’s not about riches,” he said. “How much stuff can you have, anyway? It’s about night like this and friends like this. The impact we can make -- THIS is wealth.” Then Mark got serious(ly funny). “Finally, Rod Strickland started to show up on time for morning practices,” he recalled. “When I asked him how he managed it, he said “Dude, I came from the club!”

12. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

good story.. glad to see mark doing things to benefit charity..

SAys a lot about him that all of his former coaches etc came.. must be a very well liked guy

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If AM is healthy enough to play I'd love for JVG to grab him by the other leg and drag him here to back up the 4 and support the 5, 18 -20 mins/game...a regular Hoya reunion.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

:D :D :D
    JVG is funny. He said once on radion that he drove Toyota Corrola to work when he was with Knicks. I dont know what kind of car he has in Houston.

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yeah he HAD a corolla and when they went to the airport and parked it near the runway of the chartered jet, the engine basically blew his car away and he was forced to buy a new car....that happened when he was with the knicks.

16. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

he was a decent backup for us....made some nice passes.....too bad he's slow and cant shoot.......U were good MJ, good luck coachin somewhere.

17. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Wasn't that a Honda Civic ?

:confused:

18. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Yes, it was a Civic.