1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Trevor Ariza steal and alleyoop slam vs. Blazers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gggNZ_AQYzM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gggNZ_AQYzM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

2. herro

herro Member

trade him for big z!!111!1111

3. luisantonio1014

LOL at fernandez flopping!

He looked like he got clotheslined by a ghost!

4. OClakerfan8

OClakerfan8 New Member

Hey Guys,

On my Lakers forum there is a bit of controversey surrounding us Picking up Artest instead of signing Ariza. I'm not a troll, just a Lakers fan who'd like your thoughts on what grade you'd give Ariza at almost mid-season.

BTW I'd like to commend your team on the effort it puts out everytime I watch them play. I wish the Lakers had half the heart and passion the Rockets seem to have.

Thanks in advance.

5. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Thanks for the compliments.

Generally on this board and with Rockets fans Ariza is not overly loved. A lot of people don't like his shot making ability (or lack of) and his ball skills.

However, I don't think we're comparing apples to apples here. Looking at the Lakers point of view its much different because Ariza has a totally different role as a Laker. As a Rocket he's not stepping up to be a star, franchise player, or anything like that. You can't count on Ariza making the fourth quarter clutch shot or anything. As a Laker though, I think Ariza would be a better choice than what Artest is. Ariza as a role player is amazing, in my opinion. He fit very well into the Lakers system, as you and we saw in the playoffs and with a lot of pressure on him he preforms well. If I was a Lakers fan I would personally want Ariza on the team opposed to Artest, I know Artest brings physicality and intensiveness, which the Lakers lack, but I feel that Ariza is a better fit there, and also better for the future since he's younger.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They are both over rated and currently Ariza is the whipping boy of the rockets fans. Ariza is a better defender and younger, and less injury prone.

I prefer Ariza but wish the coach would take away some of his shots considering he cannot shoot at all.

7. zilches

zilches Member

Don't tell anyone in LA, but he is our secret weapon that we will unleash if we make the playoffs. We love him here, but we might consider a trade for Lamar.

8. DCNY

DCNY Member

:grin: Hello from New York. Long time fan returning. First post dedicated to the dude from the west coast. Happy balling!
    Ariza is unbearable to watch sometimes, but if he can practice his freebies and play under control, he'll be fine. The coach staff got some work to do with him, I believe.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Hi. I'm in OC myself, though not a Lakers fan.

I think part of the controversy is how exactly do you measure their effect? First, like a previous poster said, both are a bit overrated to begin with. Then one is athletic and lithe, the other is bulky brute force.

Then I think some Laker fans look right at Ariza's way career high points per game. Then see the steals and dunks on the highlights and say he's EXPLODING on the scene! When the truth is he's been mediocre to awful in his expanded role. Its volume chucking numbers in the way inefficient variety. If the Lakers got back THIS version Ariza for Artest, you'd want Artest back.

For this year, I think Artest has basically given you back a bulkier last year Ariza (though Artest should be BETTER according to his reputation). So overall its no loss to the Lakers, the basically broke even instead of taking the next step up. Its years after if you think Ariza will keep improving while Artest declines. Inconclusive so far. Myself, I'da just kept Ariza even with his current struggles just cuz he has years on his side.

I like Ariza, really do. I'll have Ariza '05-'09 version on my team anytime. This "expanding my game" '10 Ariza is driving me nuts.