1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[da1 related] New Houston Mayor to Texas DOT: Wider Roads Mean More Traffic

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016/02/houston-mayor-turner-texas-dot-highway-road-expansion/458709/

Turner ran on a transportation platform that says all the right things about improving urban mobility via travel alternatives to single-occupancy vehicles. His position emphasizes road maintenance without any mention of expansion and favors new public transit options, the Houston-Dallas high-speed rail plan, and the reconstruction of Interstate 45—an elevated highway that cuts through the city. His latest talk offered three specific suggestions:

Texas DOT should prioritize projects that help increase the share of non solo-drive trips from its present 3 percent up to at least 15 percent. That means new intercity rail efforts, HOT lanes, and better local transit. “Experience shows that focusing on serving the 97% will exacerbate and prolong the congestion problems that urban areas experience,” he said.

Highway money pegged for urban regions like Houston should be used toward enhancing roads in the core—as opposed to those on the fringes. Again his point was that expanding peripheral highways only makes the whole road system more congested.

Texas DOT and the city need to work together to coordinate Houston’s last-mile trip options, especially along local streets that feed off major highways.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

thank you. please. do something

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

They better make 290 a 6 lane freeway like I-10

290 is a mess

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

They NEED to widen some of the freeways. Either that or put in commuter rail, which doesn't seem like it would be too difficult as many of the rail lines are already there. They exist. They don't need to be built. Just need some kind of downtown station. Now where would there be such a thing...

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Don't need the question mark at the end of "da1 related?"

6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Yeah look at Austin, they got narrow roads and no traffic right?!?!?!

1 person likes this.
  7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Except austin also hasn't done anything else to alleviate traffic.

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lately Austin seems worse than Houston on some of the rush hour traffic... At least in Houston there's multiple freeways/routes. I mean here it's like 2 major wrecks on 35 and mopac would basically shut down a lot of the routes, Austin's idea though is by not building more infrastructure it can slow growth :rolleyes: lol, well... Maybe not that but it's like they won't take on bigger projects because the part of the city making choices probably doesn't see a problem since they live downtown.

I guess I'll just move downtown.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

We need trains. Like real one not light light rail which has to stop for cars. If mexico city has one why can't Houston. We have a larger GDP than mexico city.

10. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I dont understand why people always say we need trains. Look, there is a better chance the light rain is torn up in 25 years than commuter trains being put in.

We are on the verge of self driving busses, we can eliminate the single highest cost which is the driver. Focus needs to be on park and rides, express bus service and I applaud getting rid of light rail on Post Oak and having rapid bus lanes instead

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Seems like strategically placed heavy rail could do a lot of good for this city. Give people an option to not use thier car in order to get to business centers and entertainment venues.

1 person likes this.
  12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Because self driving cars busses etc are not efficient. to transport massive number of people trains are efficient. I have driven in Manhattan. That was the dumbest idea ever. I did that for 1 day.

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CwinnODU0yo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

major pieces of the infrastructure are already in place with metro's current park n ride lots all around houston. the trick is to have rail inside the BW8&610 to alleviate traffic in the city proper. in theory vehicle traffic leaving park and ride locations would utilize both inbound and outbound during both rush hours instead of the prominent direction we have now.

a plan like that would also make a plan to destroy the pierce and raise/bury 59 downtown feasible. which would be great because both are choking central expansion in to available properties and parks.

15. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

It is not cost effective. The space that the light rail is on can be designated bus lanes and it would be no different. Have platforms and busses coming every 6 minutes like the metro rail

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i lived in nyc for a while and i was thankful daily that i didn't have to drive in that city. it would drive me crazy to deal with that.

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

No amount of change would improve the cluster f*** that is the exit/merger at 59 and 610 going in either direction.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Opening the HOV lanes back up on weekends would be an easy start. They did that in December as an experiment and it was awesome.

The park and ride is great if you live in the burbs and work downtown. But if you work anywhere outside of downtown (even a few miles), you're screwed because the local service is such a joke. Yes, even after it was over-hauled. It still BLOWS CHIMPS.

Buses are late all the time, half the time they don't even show up or a clueless driver blows right by your stop while you're standing there and waving because he doesn't know the route. Then when you get on, there's no place to sit.

It shouldn't take an hour and a half to get from Allen Parkway to Kingwood, but it does. No hyperbole.

19. famicom

famicom Member

Monorail from 290 to downtown straight shot plz?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Although it's not directly related to the over-haul, I've actually seen an increase in UH main campus students taking the park and ride buses to take the newly constructed eastbound light rails to the school from the downtown stations. That's a huge improvement since it'll mean less suburb students on the roads to congest freeway traffic.

Not gonna lie, the current "coach" buses that are used for park and ride are much more comfortable to sit in (and sleep) as apposed to standing room or plastic hard seats of a light rail (or similar subway). Coming from a regular user, I'd much rather prefer the park and ride bus.