1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston shouldn't turn its back on Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its time to let this ship set sail. We shouldn't keep a max player around simply because he's a genuine person. I like Dwight as a person, but he is on the decline. However that isnt the key reason why we should let him go. He simply does not have the killer instinct.

We already have a mascot. We dont need two.

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Good read! I agree.

4. Raven

Raven Member

Morey won't overpay Dwight. I just don't see that happening, so he trades him now before losing him for nothing in six months.

5. dmoneybangbang

We still have a punchers chance at being a dark horse contender with a solid trade(s) by the deadline and a good playoff spot. I wouldn't be surprised if Les and/or Morey would gamble on that chance.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What a refreshing column to read, Clutch. Something positive and true. I try to keep my knee from jerking all over the place after one of our losses against a poor team, and it's difficult to not get into "the moment" of being pissed off, yet again, and saying something negative about a player, players, the coaching staff, heck, the organization. Thanks, and if you can come up with anything else positive to write about in the not too distant future, lay it on us. We need it.

2 people like this.
  7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Dwight shouldn't turn his back to the basket... ever.

1 person likes this.
  8. OpenLayup-Why3?

No big star will ever wanna come to play with Harden in free agency.

1 person likes this.
  9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If the Rockets don't right the ship by the trade deadline, they are going to have to make some tough decisions for sure... so in that sense, if things continue to go south, I could see that as a possibility, but Harden, Howard... those are very much Les decisions.

But the organization having to make decisions for the future, that's different than Dwight being unhappy and wanting out right now.

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don't blame Dwight if he leaves or requests a trade. The guy has been a professional here, and as you pointed out, has been money when it mattered.

Clutch......the problem with this team is that you can't write the same thing about Harden.

2 people like this.
  11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I agree, Dwight just isn't good enough to get 23 mil anymore. I would love Whiteside but that would require Pat Riley to receive a lobotomy before the trade deadline. Any doctors in the house?

12. basketballholic

Agree completely. This is how you do business. Gotta treat your superstars special.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Someone either here or on /NBA speculated that Dwight is worried that his lack of production is going to make negotiating his next contract more difficult. That seems both reasonable and plausible.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Houston should never turn it's back on Clutch's reporting over the words of a hack like Chris Sheridan, even if (and especially if) ESPN jumps on to make it a national story of interesting speculation.

Talk about conspiracy theories, with the history of media loving to generate buzz over Howard, I somewhat think ESPN has guys like Sheridan throw out trial balloons of exaggerated (if not invented) stories that don't have any sources from ESPN's ENTIRE crew of writers to mention themselves. They wait to see if it gains traction, and then run with it if it does. Yet, only Sheridan has the sources?? I didn't hear one person on ESPN,,,not one,,,chime in to say they have sources saying the same thing as Sheridan.

Sheridan: "Howard is extremely unhappy with playing second fiddle to the alpha dog that is Harden. Multiple Sources to sheridanhoops..." Yeah right...multiple sources.

15. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Hope Howard can turn it around :(

Still believe

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I despised D12 after the whole SVG interview thing. I was pleasantly surprised with him since he came to Houston. The guy has struck me as a professional and an overall pretty decent guy.

Personally, I'd like him to be around for awhile more... but I doubt its in the cards based on production vs the salary he will command...

I'd like to keep him for the completion of his contract. But just as it's a smart business move for him to opt out after this year... it's probably a wise business move for the Rox to trade him - before he walks away for nothing...

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

Who cares what people say or write about Dwight. I only care about how he performs on the court. How has he performed?

1 person likes this.
  18. sabesque

sabesque Member

Such a very very important article.

It most definitely affects the perception of our team fans and city's fanbase if we turn on him. And if you don't think this matters, go look up KDs comments about the DC fans. FA targets that we want will notice.

19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

20. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Imagine Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant, and James Harden