1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Haven't Been This Excited About Preseason Ever

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Oct 13, 2014.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I can't ever remember a time where I was this excited about the actual preseason games. We have a ton of new faces, a new style of play, several battles for playing time/starting spot, and a lot of our existing players added skills to their game.

Howard looks exactly the same to me, but I get the feeling we will see some post moves like we did against Portland quite a bit during the year. Harden is paying attention on defense, something much needed. But the important thing is that they have both likely improved. Both should be better players and leaders this year.

Trevor Ariza does two things VERY well that we did not do well last year. And he's a starter. And he can play big minutes. This means we have a three point threat out there for longer. We have more space in the middle for longer. And points coming consistently for longer from a spot we need them to come from. His defense is simple, disciplined, and effective. He almost seems like Richard Sherman out there because few players challenge him.

Kostas has a skill-set that I don't think we understand quite yet. Tarik Black can play a whole lot better than any of us expected. Ish Smith is not the player he was the first time he played with us. Nick Johnson has shown flashes of knowing how to play at this level and I know I'm not the only person here itching to see Jason Terry.

DMo's post game improvements have been a lot of fun for me to watch. It's been a while since we've seen that type of stuff. Patrick Beverly looks like he took this whole "being in shape for 94 feet" to a new level. He seems stiffer this year in the sense that if you bump him it will feel more like a rock this year.

Overall, I'm loving preseason basketball? That just doesn't seem like me. What did I miss? I know I missed plenty to be excited about... in the preseason????

....great time to be a Rockets fan!

#1 don grahamleone, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

long offseason

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

If only we could say the same thing about our color commentators.

4. alethios

alethios Member

Morey the Wizard strikes again. Remove one pseudo, self-labeled, self-entitled "3rd star"; get better role/backup players = better shot at escaping the 1st round.

5. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

It is a great time for Rockets fans.

Just watched DH's interview on NBA TV's Rockets preview...he is saying all the right things...and his workouts this offseason were incredible.

Ariza is going to be an upgrade. Jones will be better...if he wins the battle for the job and its addition by subtraction with Lin.

I'm hoping DM will add some depth at PG...but this team is really intriguing.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

easily 2009 was the most excited

Prime Yao
    Artest
    McGrady
    Battier
    Scola
    Landry
    Brooks
    Mutombo
    alston (then traded for Lowry)

too bad McGrady did not elect to have surgery earlier and get back on the court faster. That was our best season to potentially win and with the talent we had. Of course injuries did the team in but I was far more excited for that team mainly because we had a a bench (battier,brooks,landry, mutombo) as well as a talented starting five.

7. don grahamleone

That sounds like excited during the preseason. I'm pumped all day for the actual preseason games. The season is excitement as usual for me.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Every time I get pumped, I remember we have a HOF coach... who cannot coach.

9. don grahamleone

Jontro, brother, I'm guessing that you've never been called the life of the party, but I'd also guess people say you speak your mind.

[​IMG]

#9 don grahamleone, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  10. downbytheriver

I remember about 3 or 4 off seasons with prime Mcgrady when i was much more excited. he was a game changer.

11. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

Yeah, same here. McGrady was the most exciting player for me to watch and he was my favorite player. Harden and Howard is like McGrady and Yao. I hope we can win championship this year.

12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This.

Sigh...Bosh and resigning Parsons would have been the most excited I've been probably ever. Ariza is nice and likely an upgrade but the bench feels even weaker than last year.

We are basically pinning our hopes on

1) Howard at truely 100% Orlando Dwight
    2) Harden suddenly playing awesome defense
    3) DMo, Pap, Cannan, Daniels, Johnson, Pap, etc. breaking out in a major way
    4) Team gelling and playing more cohesively

While one or more of these could happen none creates the type of buzz and excitement as a major acquision. Personally I'm hoping for a repeat of last year plus a major deadline trade.

13. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

we may not have a good backup Center but i dont know who gets cut out of Dorsey and Black. Black is listed as a forward but he can clean up the paint.

14. imaginedragons

the biggest thing for me is that someone emerges as a real leader in words and actions. they can't be a "young team enjoying the ride" anymore. whether it's Howard or Harden or Mchale, if some accountability and leadership surfaces, this year's team can go far.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If we cut Black he'll succeed elsewhere.

16. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

last year's preseason was the best i've experienced as a rockets fan.

those games in asia were awesome.

17. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Agree with OP. I'm very excited with the potential for many of the new & young players on this squad. Daniels, Canaan, Johnson, KPap, Ariza,DMo, jones & black all have interesting upside.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think anything will top the pre-season of Malick Badiane for me.

19. dream2franchise

To your points 1 & 2 , I'll happily take the Portland series Dwight and James Harden playing merely average, attentive defense and that should make us a much better team this season.

20. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I'm excited either way because the season is about to start!

But I like our young prospects that's been contributing.

Looking forward to a long postseason!