1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Yao's comeback with Rockets remains a work in progress

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GRENDEL, Mar 24, 2007.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Yao remains a work in progress
    Rockets star has shown flashes but still not up to form from before injury

By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

He scores 37 points to dominate one of the NBA's young lions in Dwight Howard and the world thinks Yao Ming is ready to roar.

He sticks his turnaround with ease against a Detroit defense that has no answer in the middle and everyone figures Yao has turned back the calendar to December when he was looking like an MVP candidate.

But lost in the glow of a five-game winning streak and an 8-2 record since his return to the lineup March 5 is the reality that Yao is still working his way back from a major injury that cost him 10 weeks months of conditioning, timing and just playing basketball.

"Let's take a few more games and see, until I'm not up and down too much," Yao said after back-to-back production of 32 and 27 points against the Indiana Pacers and Detroit Pistons.

More than numbers

In his 10 games since coming back, Yao is averaging 21.8 points, 9.3 rebounds and shooting .490 from the field. But those are just numbers that can be read off a page.
    "I feel my post moves are still not quick enough," Yao said. "Some of them because my knee still bothers me a little bit. Not much. But if you just slow it that much, then you cannot pass (a defender)."

His teammates see what Yao can do and also recognize areas where he's still laboring.

"He still has a little ways to go," forward Shane Battier said. "Most people look at the offense and say, 'Oh, he scored 30 points. He's back.'

"But it's the plays that require discipline, like a pick-and-roll rotation, where he has to cover for somebody. Sometimes when he gets fatigued, he may be a step late. To the common fan, they may not realize it. But we know it's conditioning. That will all come. He's gotten better every game. He's still not 100 percent, I don't think."

What surprises none of the Rockets is that a still-mending Yao can perform at the level he has.

"We're not surprised at all," forward Juwan Howard said. "He's a big-time player, and big-time players make plays. Yao knows how to play the game. He's a good shooter. He's a knowledgeable player. He has a high basketball IQ. You talk about a player like that, he's going to perform at a high level."

The other Rockets see him turn and drop in his mid-range jumper and his hook shot easily and understand the difficulty for a big man who has only been back in the lineup less than three weeks.

That's the product of all of those drills he did during the rehab process — catching football and tennis balls thrown at him, practicing his shot when he couldn't stand by sitting on a chair.

Fatigue showing

"The amazing thing is how he's kept his touch," Battier said. "That's been the most impressive part. He's moved better since they took off the knee brace. But when he plays hard for long stretches, there are just those little things he can't do that are all about conditioning.

"But you have to remember that he's asked to do a whole lot on the offensive end for this team. It's not like it's me, who's just out there running around and shooting 3s. He has a heavy-ended load, and we're looking to go to him every single time down the floor. I get tired just looking at him."

Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy acknowledges there is fatigue showing on Yao.

"He does look a bit tired," Van Gundy said. "But I don't think that's due to the injury. I think he's always looked a little tired late in games."

It's the burden of being 7-6. Yao is literally the man in the middle of it all who can't hide, even when working his way back from a broken leg. Not if the Rockets are going to fulfill their goal of making noise in the playoffs, which are now less than a month away.

"Actually, I feel much better," Yao said. "I can run much longer. That fourth quarter (against Detroit), I think I was not aggressive enough. I need to take more shots. There were times — when Kirk (Snyder) goes baseline and steps out of bounds and we have a turnover — I think that's my fault. I need to know the time, know the position, and I need to take that shot. Not just throw the ball to him in trouble."

Hard worker

What the Rockets know is that nobody will drive Yao harder than Yao.

"He doesn't exactly look like he was eating Krispy Kremes while he was out," Battier said. "Yao is probably the most disciplined player I've ever played with in terms of preparing and getting his body right and staying ready. The guy watches film in his sleep. So I'm not surprised that he's been able to come back and play the way he's playing.

"What really makes you feel good as his teammate is knowing how hard he's going to work to make himself even better."

fran.blinebury@chron.com

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4657993.html

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He isn't all the way back but I feel very good about Yao's progress. 13 more games is just about what he needs to get his endurance up and hopefully work all the kinks out of his knee. I don't want to be premature, but maybe Yao's time off will help him like it did Hakeem in 1995.

3. xternal

xternal Member

"He doesn't exactly look like he was eating Krispy Kremes while he was out," Battier said.

bonzi wells anyone? :rolleyes:

btw good read.

4. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

The big guy is disciplined to the core and works his butt off. For him to put up the numbers that he does coming back from a major injury is just plain unbelievable.

I'm so tired of people questioning his competitive fire. Sure there's always room for improvement but for people to say anything about Yao being soft is just plain idiotic.

5. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

13 games, I hope thats enough for Yao to get back to 100%. Biggest thing I've noticed is he's a 1/2 step slow on those baseline drives to the basket and he's not able to finish like before his injury. In fact, I can't remember him completing a dunk on one of those drives since he's been back.

Yao's game will be that jumper and those baby hooks until he regains that speed.

6. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

In playoff games, adrenaline will power the Yao machine. :cool:

7. metalshred

metalshred Member

Rox will be a fine team in playoffs

8. rocketsmetalspd

Yao's progression since his injury is like a small snowball that is picking up speed as it heads down the mountain, this guy is going be awesome come playoff time.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

First of all, I don't believe Yao is soft. People put that on him because of his demeanor. Anyone who watches him play regularly knows he isn't soft. But...

Just for the sake of discussion, there is a difference between working hard between games and the offseason and the way one plays while on the floor. Two examples to illustrate the point: The younger Vince Carter and Allen Iverson.

VC worked very hard on his skills which is why he was (and still is) such a dynamic offensive player. But during tough situations, especially during the playoffs, he was soft. Plain and simple. One teammate even called him out in public to try and stir him up. Instead of viciously attacking the basket, VC would go soft by throwing up fadeaway jumpers. Still, away from games, VC worked very hard on his moves and shot which is why he was so beautiful to watch as a player. But he was mentally weak on occassion and could be intimidated by the circumstances of a game. It looks like he outgrew that a couple of years ago after joining the Nets.

AI, on the other hand, brings as much passion to NBA games on a daily basis as anyone ever did. He constantly burns energy and exerts himself while also regularly leading the NBA in minutes played. AI is a great example of on the court toughness. But, AI doesn't practice well and he hasn't improved his game like he could have. A player of his size should be a deadeye shooter, IMO, but AI hasn't seen fit to become one. Instead, he has remained very much the same player over his entire career. If he developed a better jumpshot, it would make his attacking the basket and his passing even better. But that's AI and a poor shooting percentage has always been part of his package. (I'm NOT saying his bad % is totally because he isn't that great a shooter).

I probably could have chosen better examples but you get the point. In the NFL, there are "workout warriors" who have incredible measurables but they don't produce that much on the field. In the NBA, there are incredibly talented players who work hard to develop their ability but play below it during games. It's unfortunate people accuse Yao of not playing up to what he can do but non-Rocket fans don't know him like we do. A smoking hot playoff run would change most minds.

10. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

well said A_3P0, especially about AI.

11. Stephen1616

Stephen1616 Contributing Member

Nice Post. Couldn't agree more.

12. SonKhan

SonKhan Member

I don't even know why Blinbury would write this article. Yao had an injury that kept him out 10 weeks and could have kept him out longer. A broken bone in the leg is serious.

The fact that he came back at all this season and in the shape he did is a testament to the work he put in and the people who assisted him medically and fitness wise.

Frankly I never expected him to come back so well and I felt he would just be a fraction of the player he was before the injury basically because it was such a serious situation and he was so limited as far as activity was concerned. I imagine he is a little fatigued because everyone else is in late season shape and he is just starting over in a way. It's like he is in training camp really.

I think he looks great and I think he will only get better. I also think that we won't see a completely healthy YM until next season. But the way he is playing now and if he continues should be enough to get the Rockets far in the playoffs.

This article just comes off as nit picky to me.

13. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Yao's the only player I would pay to watch, you just know he's giving it his all, gotta love that about him...players like VinceCarter who likes to take some games off would be last on my list... regardless of his dunks.

14. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

You won't even pay to watch Chris Bosh? :eek: ;)