1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wilko Johnson (Sir Ilyn from Game of Thrones) Has Cancer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 10, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ser Ilyn is cured!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/11181012/Wilko-Johnson-cancer-cured.html

Wilko Johnson cancer 'cured'
    The Dr Feelgood guitarist had a 3kg tumour removed from his pancreas

Wilko Johnson announced that he has been "cured" of cancer at the Q Awards on Wednesday afternoon, and plans to tour again.

The Dr Feelgood guitarist and singer revealed that he had been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer in January 2013.

But he broke the news of his recovery while accepting the Q 'Icon Award' at the ceremony in London. Johnson said: "It was an 11-hour operation. This tumour weighed 3kg - that's the size of a baby.

Anyway, they got it all. They cured me"

Johnson, 67, underwent chemotherapy shortly after his diagnosis. He thanked his doctor, saying: "He runs all the tests again and he says they think that they can do it and they did it, man.

They took this tumour out of me."

His pancreas, spleen, small and large intenstines were also removed.

Following his cancer diagnosis, Johnson played a short tour of 'farewell concerts' and released a Top 10 album with The Who frontman Roger Daltrey.

In June 2013 Johnson told The Telegraph: "It makes you feel alive to be told that you’re going to die. How many years ago did I last feel like that? The ecstasy of youth, the joy of existence. I have felt like that again."

At the awards he said he had no plans to retire from music: "I'm recuperating and hoping to regain my strength completely soon and go back on the road. The moral of the story is you never know what's going to happen."

2. yo

yo Contributing Member

Um aren't the small and large intestines a bit...essential to bodily function?

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i believe so.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Curative intent. 5/100 are alive at 5 years without surgery. 20/100 are alive with surgery. Hopefully he is in the 20.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm hoping they've put them back in.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not a doctor but I think there are ways you can survive without them. Also they may not have taken out all of his intestines.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Wow.

Just realized this thread was this old.

Good luck to him.

Pancreatic cancer is on a very short list of least desirable cancers for me (if there is such a thing).

I would never fault anyone for forgoing chemo, though. It's a choice I don't think anyone could understand until they were faced with it.

Also, for those wondering, I'm sure he had a Whipple procedure, in which only parts of his intestines were removed. No way to say for sure. A friend of mine had a Whipple done, and still barely survived six months.