1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cameron Wake??

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by wadero, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He's had two seasons of production; the third was lost to injury. I'm not going to hold that against him. So (again, assuming a full 16-games and at least 10 sacks this year): three full years, 32 starts, 26 sacks.

He's an OLB in a 3-4 scheme; his primary directive, if not only directive, is to rush the QB. If he's posting sack #s on par with elite rushers... I mean, I don't know what he could be doing to invalidate that production.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If you think he is among the elite pass rushers in the NFL I disagree and I think the majority would also be against you. He benefited from Wade's system and crap O-Lines.

I think now that people have more film they will see how Wade wants to use Reed and Barwin and their effectiveness goes down. And again, just watching them play I have much more confidence in Wake beating his man than Barwin.

3. Hey Now!

Whoa... slow down. No one is arguing he's currently elite. We're supposing another double-digit sack season, which would certainly initiate the conversation. But until that actually happens...

Maybe, though - really, how many Dolphin games have you seen the past 3 years? (And if it's a significant number, which I doubt - then how many Texan games have you seen, since they're usually playing at the same time?)

Wake has three solid years; Barwin one. You can get into a lot of trouble in this league drawing conclusions from small sample sizes - but there's nothing to suggest Barwin isn't legit - big, strong, athletic and very, very fast.

And, again - in terms of priorities, you have to hope he's legit because you simply don't have the resources to get a big-time plan B that sucks resources from other, bigger needs.

4. Bandwagoner

So when you compared his sack numbers to elite guys you weren't calling him elite. OK whatever.

And we don't need a big money plan B, we get out 4 (3) years of cheap labor from him and plug in a 2nd rounder from this draft in his spot. We have a need at LB anyways, I expect a high draft pick to be OLB.

5. Hey Now!

Yes, CaseyH, supposing he another double-digit sack season in 2012 - a season that has not yet been played - which is the qualifier you introduced.

If he starts all 16 games in 2012, and finishes with at least 10 sacks, he'll be on a pace simlilar to two no-brainer elite pass rushers. And for some reason which you haven't yet properly explained, this wouldn't be enough to impress you.

Given their other, more pressing needs, I'd be shocked if they used one of their first 4 picks on an OLB, save for a really good one they love sliding to them. Though, it's not a terrible idea - even if Reed and Barwin prove to be studs, they need depth.

But - trading a 2 (or 1 or 3 - whatever he'd command) for Wake is a totally different scenario. You're be dealing a top pick for a player who, along with Barwin, could walk after next year. That's a terrible use of resources, IMO.

6. Bandwagoner

because watching him play, his abilities are not with those guys, but his numbers would hypothetically be.

If Barwin leaves for a huge contract we get a 3rd round pick from it. I promise you we get an OLB in the first 4.

7. Hey Now!

You're basing that on 16 career starts, FYI. I think it's widly premature to draw any conclusions about Connor Barwin, who flashed a great deal of ability last year.

If he leaves after the 2012 season, we *might* get *a* compensatory pick. In 2014. How does that help address 2012 needs?

You trade a 2012 1 or a 2 or a 3 - whatever - for Wake so he can push a 25-year old who record 11.5 sacks last year and you fill your actualy 2012 holes.... how now that you've dealt away a premium draft choice in a year you have no cap space?

8. wadero

wadero Member

I was purely looking at replacing the Mario Postion. Barwin is great Reed still ooks a little lost at time, Wake is a Monster who loves the 3-4 and in Wade System I could only imagine.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Cam Wake is a happy man. Agrees to 4 yr extension worth $49M, with $$20M guaranteed. Big move for the Dolphhins to secure elite pass rusher</p>&mdash; Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/199153140979867650" data-datetime="2012-05-06T15:06:23+00:00">May 6, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

To compare...

Mario Williams, franchise caliber DE/OLB with injury history gets $100mil/$50mil guaranteed.
    Cameron Wake, 30yr old borderline Pro Bowl OLB gets $49mil/$20mil guaranteed
    Arian Foster, 25yr old franchise RB gets $43mil/$20mil guaranteed

Really does put a perspective on relative importance of positions, and more reason why the Texans took a 3rd OLB in the draft. If Barwin repeats his last year, he can easily price himself out of the Texans price range next year.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I kind of agree with you that Barwin is a good player, but will likely get overpaid as a free agent if he goes over 10 sacks again. I think he's more of a product of Wade's system than being an elite pass rusher.

it's very much like Pittsburg and how they keep bringing in new OLB for their system because they get inflated numbers.

12. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Barwin is definately benefiting from the system but don't underestimate him skills. Back when he was splitting time with Smith and only coming in on third downs, in the old 4-3 system he was making plays, really the when he went out in that Colts game the season before last, the Texans defense suffered a great deal from that, since after he went out of the game the Colts started to come back into it.

He very well might be overpaid if he has another stellar season but that is the reason why we have Mericulus. Better to draft the replacement this year and get him prepared then worry about having to do it next season and not knowing what you have.