1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Royal Tenenbaums

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by across110thstreet, Dec 17, 2001.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

is it too early to start this thread, or have some of you seen this new Wes Anderson film yet?
    if not, how many of you are excited about seeing it?
    I caught the opening night showing in NY and I loved it.
    If you liked BOttle Rocket and RUshmore, you will not be disapointed here. Co-written by Owen Wilson, Wes Anderson really goes for the dysfunctional family comedy,but it is serious in content, and the cast handles the drama wonderfully.

Gene Hackman, Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Luke Wilson, Gwyneth Paltrow,Bill Murray, Angelica HUston and Danny Glover ALL contribute finely to this masterpiece(in my opinion) and of course the soundtrack is superb.

alot of themes come up in this movie, as in Anderson's other films:
    family, friendship, heartbreak, the loss of family members, but most importantly,Forgiveness. It is a really sweet film with alot of heart.

I absolutely love Owen and Luke Wilson when they are on screen together.

the tennis match is HIlarious!!

2. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

dude, the worst part of my weekend was finding out that the movie was not opening in dallas this weekend.

it is absolutely not too early to start this thread; only don't give anything away.

owen wilson + wes anderson = do no wrong.

"how 'bout you, mr. littlejeans?"

3. deepellumrocket

Dude, no joke. I was all primed for a Saturday matinee at the Angelika.

4. chievous minniefield

where's the love? this same thing happened to me with Made.

if you go on fandango, it says the movie [Tenenbaums] opens the 14th. but then, when you look for a theatre, it says "this movie is not playing within 30 miles of your zip code".

so now that we know it's not opening the 14th, I don't have a clue of when to expect it.

5. across110thstreet

"Best damn play I ever saw"

It opened in NY and LA on the 14th with a national release on the 21st or CHristmas day.

6. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Since the first report of this film was unleashed on chud I've heard nothing but the positive. Along with Lotr and Brotherhood of the Wolf, this is on my must see list.

7. chievous minniefield

so, across110th. . . on opening night, you were in the ****?

actually, it makes much more sense for the movie to open nationally on the 21st. as soon as I saw that Vanilla Sky and Tenenbaums were opening on the 14th, I thought that was odd. those movies are going to pull from a lot of the same demographic groups, I would think.

sidenote: a friend of mine and I went this summer to snoop around the private school campus in Houston [the name is eluding me right now] where Rushmore was filmed.

your pal,
    dirk calloway

8. across110thstreet

yeah, i was in the sh#t.

9. across110thstreet

Dear Max,
    I am sorry to say that I have secretly found out that Mr. BLume is having an affair with Miss Cross. My first suspicions came when I saw them frenching in front of her house and then I knew for sure when they went skinny dipping in Mr. BLume's swimming pool
    giving each other handjobs while you were taking a nap on the front porch. Why am I telling you this now? Because you are such a good friend. take care pal.

fondly,
    dirk calloway

10. chievous minniefield

you're as warped as your ear, across110th. . .

with friends like you, who needs friends?

these are my O.R. scrubs.

11. across110thstreet

12. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Any of you Rushmore fans picked up the new Criterion Edition of Rushmore on DVD? Its got lots of great extras; even a map of Rushmore(very neat)! I am glad to hear the next Wes Anderson film has arrived and want to know when I can see it in Houston!\

Max, did the thought ever cross your mind that you are far too young for me?

13. DrewP

Minniefield, it was filmed at St. Johns....

14. chievous minniefield

there you go. I get st. john's [where anderson went in houston] and st. mark's [where owen and luke went in dallas] mixed up.

I have seen the criterion dvd. it's very nice.

you know, you really shouldn't smoke. . . and I should mind my own business.

15. DrewP

What was his backup school, Harvard ? lol

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

My favorite scene is when Mr. Blume is talking to Max on the cell, and as he's going to spy on Miss Cross, he swats the little kid's shot EG style!

I cannot wait for this movie. It looks like it will have the same quirky comedy and sweetness as their first two.

17. chievous minniefield

tell that mick he just made my list of things to do today.

sic transit gloria!

18. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I wasnt too high bout the movie, but I checked out some info on the IMDB and found out that it is by Wes Anderson. I was like, hell, I gotta see it now. Rushmore is one of the best movies of all time and havent got to see Bottle Rocket yet. I am little bias bout Rushmore because the gym scenes and the last scene of the movie was made at my high school (NORTH SHORE!!!!) but it was a great quirky movie that was entertaining.

Will be in line to watch this flick. I am probably the only one that wants to watch this over Lord of the Rings. :D

19. Elvis Costello

I really forward to seeing the "Royal Tannenbaums." I love "Rushmore" so much, it hurts. It is the tiny, absurd and lovingly-crafted details that make this film so wonderful. Max placing the gum on the wall as he sets forth to let loose the swarm of bees (yes!) on Bill Murray's character...the grave seriousness in which every character takes themselves...the totally inexplicable and unexplained Scottish (?!) classmate and nemisis to Max...Max's surveillence photos (sure) of an affair between Murray and the teacher at the Chinese restaurant and him forgetting to remove the photo of the startled Chinese man...his dream sequence involving solving a math problem...the use of the term hand-job in an expose letter by Max's betrayed younger friend...a high school play version of Serpico...oh, God, I love this movie!

20. DrewP

We'll see. I got a proposition for you.

Well, you can stick it up your mother's ass, you little prick.

[ Sighs ] I gotta hand it to you, magnus.

You've got a way with words.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bill M.:

You were born rich, and you're going to stay rich.

But here's my advice to the rest of you:

Take dead aim on the rich boys.

Get them in the crosshairs...

And take them down.

Just remember:

They can buy anything,

But they can't

buy backbone.

Don't let them forget that.

Thank you.