1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

cbs sportsline picks most overrated/underrated Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Valio!, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Valio!

Valio! Member

Personally I think almost all the Rockets are underrated by national media. here's what they say:

Overrated: Mo Taylor continues to be a young forward with size
    and skills that everybody is excited about ... we're still trying to
    understand why he's worth the big contract he's going to get.

Underrated: Cuttino Mobley is often overshadowed by the
    higher profile of Steve Francis, but Mobley has all the open floor
    savvy and perimeter shooting ability to be a 30-point scorer on
    any night.

I don't know why they say Mo is overrated. I mean he getsw a hard time around here. Plus they are basing their opinion on speculation of his future contract. I dont think mobley is exactly underrated by national media either. I'd say the most underrated on the national scene is someone like Moochie Norris or Kenny Thomas...sure they aren't superstars. but worse players around the league get more attention...

------------------
    "George W. is like a hybrid of his father and Dan Quayle" - P. Mesku

[This message has been edited by Valio! (edited July 28, 2001).]

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe they are saying MO is overated because he doesn't rebound and most 4's are expected to out rebound their point guards.

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Most underrated is Moochie, definitely. Even though Rockets fans like him, it's become more apparent in the last month that some people here really don't realize his value to the team.

Mo Taylor is definitely the one that on the national scene is going to be overrated. One of the main things both Moochie and Mo bring the Rockets is their intangibles-- their fit in team chemistry, desire to be in Houston, hustle, etc. The Rockets are never on national TV, so most of these sites go by stat sheet gurus. Mo Taylor is obviously expected to have better stats than Mooch because he starts, and thus the overrated bit. I can find you several players making 5-6 million on good teams that I don't consider to be as good as Mo Taylor, and their stats don't reflect it either. (Aaron McKie, Horace Grant last year, Avery Johnson, Tyrone Hill, etc.) Very few called them overrated and overpayed, although their stats are definitely not typical for players making that money. People on the national scene heard about and saw the intangibles they brought to their team, such as leadership, hustle, playmaking, desire, chemistry, etc. They don't have a chance to do that with the Rockets, at least not last year.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

4. Colby

Colby Member

Mo for 5.5mil seems like a good deal to me. He is alot better than Jason Caffey at the same price. And at least half as good as LJ.

------------------
    T-Pooh and BahDakota went up the hill,
    to make a bet on a Forward.
    When it all came down,
    they were nowhere to be found.
    Now they should be drawn and quartered.

5. Valio!

Valio! Member

yeah..you are certainly right about that DaDakota... but then I think that sad aspect of his game is addressed by the national media...so Im not sure if he's actually overrated...but I dont know..Im sleepy

------------------
    "George W. is like a hybrid of his father and Dan Quayle" - P. Mesku

[This message has been edited by Valio! (edited July 27, 2001).]

6. Sane

Sane Member

I think Hakeem was very underrated LAST YEAR. I don't think we lost many games when Hakeem played more than 20 minutes. He really turned us into serious playoff material.

The most overrated would be Shandon. Not that he's given his props, but the Rockets are almost all underrated that this was a decision of who's LESS underrated, not who's overrated.

------------------

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I have learned over the past few weeks with all this Olajuwon talk that the media knows exactly diddly when it comes to the Rockets. I mean, several places still end up repeating the same crap about 4 years, $20 million! The national media blows the big one.

------------------
    Who's your buddy? Who's your pal? I am, aren't I?

8. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Hakeem continues to be the most underrated Rocket, especially by Rocket fans. Not only are they underrating his performance from the last two years, they are underrating his impact in the championship seasons! Unbelievable!

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

Keep the ???? alive!

The ZRBucks!

9. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

That's true.

Like polls saying "who's the greatest center of all time?"

Bill Russell
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Shaquille O'Neal

------------------

I have seen much of the rest of the web. It is brutal and cruel and dark. CC.net is the light.

10. FranchiseRules

TheCat, you are so right about Moochie. I think he is underrated, too. Moochie comes off the bench red-hot on a consistent basis when we need him. Thats got to be hard to do, sit and wait, sit and wait then hear your name called and BAM! - you're in the middle of the court setting up the offense and expected to be aggressive to the hole if need be! Moochie does all this, consistently and you can tell he loves it! I'll never forget(probably his best game ever)last season when he came out against Indiana(our only triple-overtime game) and took over the game, both on offense AND defense. Totally JORDANesque!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    This is our FRANCHISE and these are the RULES - Learn it, Live it, Love it!

11. Drex22

Drex22 Contributing Member

Cat, Franchise: I could not possibly agree more! I absolutely love Moochie! Out of all the Rockets free agents I would hate to see him go the most. He is not appreciated enough and is the PERFECT fit for the Rockets . I wish they would sign him. The birthday boy needs a gift that will keep on giving for 4 or 5 years! Forget waiting sign Mooch and let the others fight for the cash.

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Definitely think that Cat is underrated, but I think Mo is to. People concentrate on his rebounding, which won't be a problem assuming Griffin fits in, but now that he will have a full season and training camp to fit in he will give the Rockets a much needed scoring big man.

------------------
    What if I say to you that the universe is a three-legged horse, eh? What then?
    - Russell Hoban

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with Drex22,Moochie is the most underated and the most important free agent that we should sign immediately because he is a good playmaker who really makes our team much better when he is out on the floor with his offensive and defensive skills.He has shown that he is a clutch player in tight situations and takes a lot of pressure off Steve Francis.

------------------