1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blessing in disguise!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ced, May 6, 2007.

1. ced

ced Contributing Member

Blessing disguise!

Often times winning allows people to over look the glaring weakness of a team. It’s easy to not dwell on the problems, because in the end “Scoreboard” is all what people care about. Now I’m for one who does appreciate what JVG has brought to this team. I think that no other coach could have gotten more out of this team than him. With the lack of “true” NBA talent around his stars, his low possession slow down pace was need for this team to be successful. With no true legitimate back-ups at either position, this team was unable to run and push the tempo for 48 minutes. So now after waking up this morning and realizing that the “Sun did come up”, I’m able to look at the positives of this outcome.

To start with JVG not returning is the best thing for this organization to move forward. He is a good coach, but he never adapted to the change of the NBA once they instituted the “zone rule”. His offence is based on a true post player and if that player is not dominate like Shaw, physically; you will need four other moving capable players around him. This is the reason why teams up the tempo now. It doesn’t allow the opponent to get their defense set, which allows for easier baskets. JVG is not able to coach that type of style. If you only allow yourself 65-70 shots a game, you better have a team like Utah, who can knock them down. Low possession, slow down game puts a lot of pressure on your team to execute and with the lack of talent around our stars, or on the bench, it was just two much to ask for to be an elite team. If you look at the teams who do play this way, you see the disparity in the depth of their talent compared to the Rockets. Utah, Pistons, San Antonio, all teams that slow the game down but can afford to do so due to their talent.

To finish with is “Athleticism”. I never thought that I would see a Jazz team that had more athletes than its opponent, but even they realize the importants of having players who give you things you can’t coach like jumping ability and speed. The league is changing and now it’s time for the Rockets to do the same. If it took a first round loss to Utah for those changes to come sooner than later then all I have to say is….

Amen!!!