1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do u support Mom and Pop shops?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Jul 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. VanityHalfBlack

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Walmart used to be a "mom and pop" store.

Now look what happened when everybody supported them

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Why didn't you just type out you? It's just two letters and takes half a second.

4. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

dats 2 much werk

5. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I go to Shipley's.

Wrong thread?

6. VanityHalfBlack

LOL.:grin:

7. Buck Turgidson

As often as possible and practical. Butchers, hardware, lumber, feed store I shop local when I can but sometimes I end up having to hit HEB/Lowe's/Tractor Supply.

And for many things (especially hunting/fishing/camping stuff), Walmart is the only option unless I want to drive an hour to Austin.

8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

One thing about big shops, they close way late. There's a butcher shop I go to but they close at 6 p.m. I don't get off work usually by then.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is why I don't support local shops for economical reasons. They are terrible at business.

30,000 residents * $100 = $3,000,000
    $3,000,000 / 1000 jobs = $3000 salary

Nevermind that $100 is not pure profit. Try 5-10% of that $100 could be profit that allegedly could create more jobs.

1 person likes this.
  10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I grew up in a town of 60,000, spent nine years in the rural Midwest and I still don't know what the hell a Mom and Pop store is. This compulsion to continue ideologizing every aspect of our life between "big" and "little guys" is tiresome.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Don't y'all all live in Katy, The Woodlands and Spring? You guys couldn't support local business if you wanted to. Sorry, 5 Guys Burgers is a chain, bro.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It depends.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I support Treasures.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I don't because Mom and Pop stores are usually more expensive than chain stores.

15. VanityHalfBlack

[​IMG]

16. HCA

HCA Member

To be honest, I would like to more. How else will the American dream continue to exist? Everyone starts off small. I cut out fast food in my life because it is bad for you. I avoid Wal-mart because they aren't even the best price anymore unless you go there to buy cart loads of ramen.

17. VanityHalfBlack

hahahh, dude that's all I ever eat is Ramen, help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Do the people that wrote this sign understand the way capitalism works? This is competition. As long as the big chains are putting forth a better/cheaper/faster product they are winning customers. But, typically, there is a point where the quality begins to slip and then they lose some business to "mom and pop" shops.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I support businesses that provide me value. I don't spend with someone just because they are close to me. If a mom and pop shop provides good selection and expertise, I will purchase from them. If they know less than bozo's on the internet and give me sub standard service, then I don't spend with them.

20. HCA

HCA Member

Look up foods you like to eat on allrecipes and make cooking a habit then a hobby. Play some music or put a tv in the kitchen if you don't like to cook. Make sure you buy some fruits and veggies when you shop. You can only get away with eating ramen every day before you really start to pay for it. Just remember the companies that make these foods are only looking at their bottom line and all they have to do is state the ingredients and nutritional info on the package. They put addictive ingredients inside to keep you hooked.

Try the myfitnesspal app if you want to lose weight long term. Even if you go over your daily calorie intake just keep logging everything you eat. It helps.

Pretty much this.