1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

can't help thinking about last years team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by legacygt777, Jul 24, 2014.

1. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

Fixed.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Last year's team was built for regular season, not the playoffs.

Let's hope this team gets tweaked for the playoffs.

3. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

The Rockets were very lucky last year, having no major injuries whatsoever. Also, with no defence either, we looked much better than we actually could've done in the playoffs.

4. sammo

sammo Member

i know last season's team was definitely better, but i enjoyed watching rockets game when we had line up of parson, asik, harden, lin, and patterson.

really liked lin and patterson's pick and pop.

i know, im weird.

5. Hmm

Hmm Member

How anyone could have developed any attachment to last year's team is beyond me... It had no identity, and had and still has (unless it changes sometime next season) a self-defeating, apathetic (minus Howard and Beverly) team culture driven more by self-interests with zero direction...

It was hardly a "team"... Maybe off-court, maybe pre-tip off with their nice little rituals, but that's not where it counts...

6. alX

alX Member

you're right about it being incomplete, without identity.
    but that was the group a lot of people wanted to see develop into a contending team.
    they were way more closer to an identity than this current bunch.

7. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

How do you know? Seem them play together? Smh...

8. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

You say Morey wouldnt pay 15 mil to Parsons cause he is the 3rd option...what option would Bosh be if he would have come to Houston?

9. steady

steady Member

I agree with this.

Rockets started the season saying it would take a few weeks to figure out what worked best. That seemed to result in players maneuvering to make those decisions fall in their favor. Everyone trying to protect their turf. Parson's wanting his chance to shine in his contract year; Howard wanting his post ups and his share of touches; the who still start at PG issue; even TJones' status. And, Asik. Well.

All season I looked for someone to blame, was it McHale's fault for not imposing a stronger team culture, was it Harden's?, was it Dwight's? But in the end, it might just have been the situation. A transition year.

This year really might be better.

10. steady

steady Member

I agree that last year's team never fully gelled. But I would not say that they only looked good on paper. That stretch of games after the all star break when they had the best record in NBA were really impressive. They had the potential, no question.

11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I missed a lot of games due to work, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Still, in the games that I watched I never got the feeling they were working as a cohesive unit.

Too many distractions (Asik, Lin vs. Bev as a starter) and a most horrible bench. When we have to play a shooting guard in the meat of the playoffs who barely had 70 minutes of total play in the regular season, then we have a problem.

This season, Mchale has to trust the bench and give them a chance to prove themselves. We can't ride Harden and Howard to death, or they will be useless by the playoffs. Pop knows the importance of saving the veterans even at the risk of losing some games.