1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Kind of Rocket Fan are you concerning making the Playoffs.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Apr 18, 2012.

?

What option best classifies your position on the playoffs vs keeping our pick

1. I am a great Rocket fan who prefers we keep our lottery pick this year

36 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. I am an average Rocket fan who prefers we keep our lottery pick this year

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. I am a poor Rocket fan who prefers we keep our lottery pick this year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I am a great Rocket fan who prefers we make the playoffs this year and give our pick to NJ

91 vote(s)
    62.8%
  5. I am an average Rocket fan who prefers we make the playoffs this year and give our pick to NJ

10 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. I am a poor Rocket fan who prefers we make the playoffs this year and give our pick to NJ

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Some on here say that is short sighted but I see the opposite. To make the playoffs with this squad as it is is shortsighted. Before this 4 game losing streak I thought we might have a shot of doing something. But they showed their true colors.

They just aren't very good at playing in playoff type games. And what will we realistically do but get humiliated by SA or OKC. If we can't win at least 1 of 4 games from other mediocre teams why do we think we have a chance. Even then I still want to make the playoffs but not if we lose our pick.

Missing the playoffs gives us a shot at getting one of the top 3 picks in the lotto. Yeah it's not likely to happen but neither is winning a championship. This may sound like blasphemy to some I would argue many who want the pick are some of the strongest Rocket's fan. What type of fan are you?

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A confused Rockets fan. Huh?

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Can't sleep either, huh?

4. Old Man Rock

Whats to be confused it's just a poll. Pick one if you want.

I will say it was in response to you stating some of us our stewing in our depression. Which I thought was such a stupid statement. No one is stewing in their depression. It's not that we want to not make the playoffs. That is a total stupid misconception. We want the Rockets to make the playoffs! We want the Rockets to win a championship.

Some of us who had lost faith that this team as it was constructed would do anything in the playoffs even changed our minds after the 4 game winning streak. But then the Rockets took that 90% chance of making the playoffs and turned it into 30% after losing to 3 home games to teams we were in direct competition.

Even then we still want the Rockets to make the playoffs if we can keep this years draft pick. But we can't have both. We do not get a worse pick this year... we get no pick!

Yeah we will get it next year but what will we get. My hope is we will be much better next year and the draft will not be as good. We will have a 17th -20th pick but more than the pick being worse. We have a chance to combine that pick with a player or another pick to move up even higher or to trade for that star we have been looking for.

Yeah that too

5. hahachui

hahachui Member

2 picks + lowry + fillers...= ???

6. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

My position the whole season has been that the Rockets' are a mediocre team and would either just miss out on the playoffs or be eliminated in the 1st round. Delusional homers will always question your fanhood when you smack them in the face with the truth.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Who decides what kinda fan one is?
    Great, average or poor?
    What about good but not great or poor.

8. Burko

Burko Member

To be honest what is the point of even bothering to turn up to games if we can't win a championship?

Why not just forget the whole thing and just pull a champions name out of a hat each year, or just let each team take turn in being the champion?

Actually, we all know that only 5 or 6 teams are good enough to win..... so why not just get rid of every other team and just have those left, then we can all pick a new team to support.

9. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

I'm guessing your sig holds true to this statement. :grin:

10. Burko

Burko Member

Correct, I think at all costs you should try as hard as you can in whatever you do.

And before anyone says that McHale should put the second string in..... If he did that, then he himself isn't giving his all.

I wouldn't want a player or coach that was willing to lose on purpose in order to gain position for the future.

if that means we are in mediocrity for a while, then so be it. If you want to win now and can't handle not being the best team around, go follow Miami or something.

Giving up because the odds are against you is unforgivable.

11. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Must make PLAYOFFS!

12. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

I am in complete agreement with this position. We are a mediocre team that will be stuck in mediocrity until something eventually happens to bring us down to the level where we can draft some big-time help like Sampson, Olajuwon or Yao. The odds of picking up an all-star player in FA are nil since we are not a glamor city. We lost two all-stars that by all rights should be at their peak right now and Morey was able to keep us afloat but that is also the problem. We are just afloat still. We draft in the middle-of-the-pack and that translates into middle-of-the-pack players that keeps us in the middle-of-the-pack. This becomes a never ending circle of mediocrity. Lots of the teams are stuck here and we are too. Getting into the lottery and a huge stroke of luck is what got us Yao and is the only thing that will help us now or for the foreseeable future. We could tank and earn our way into the top 3 of the draft. That is how we got Sampson and Olajuwon back in the day. That finally brought us a couple of championships.

1 person likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The question is not whether you believe the Rockets are a mediocre team. It is not debatable. The question is, do you prefer them to make the playoffs or to get the draft pick?

I root for them to make the playoffs. But if they don't, I won't get too depressed because of the draft pick. Win-win.

But I am depressed about the Knicks pick. It's gonna be another mediocre pick. :(

14. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

8th place vs the 14 pick? That's the worst win-win scenario I've heard of. More like average-average scenario

15. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Since we have the NY pick and its probably only going to be at most a few spots away from 14, we might as well get that obligation to NJ out of the way and make the playoffs. No reason to tank out the last games for a possible 13th pick. It may also possibly slightly inflate the value of the assets for trades this offseason.

16. Burko

Burko Member

So you're saying that we lose on purpose, draft a star under duress and then trade him when he's unhappy....

If we can't get a star in FA, then how do you expect to hold onto a star acquired through the draft?

17. Old Man Rock

Know one is saying lose on purpose. Portland is trying hard to win every game. New Orleans has won 5 out of 6. Why do people keep spewing out this nonsense. The question is simple. And the point of the question is to show while not a majority a considerable percentage of Rocket's fans, many who consider themselves very loyal, prefer to keep the pick. I personally wish we could make the playoffs and keep our pick. But since Morey traded it away for TWill that is not possible.

I am not even rooting for us to lose. When I watch the games I do not want the Rockets to lose. I do not cheer for them to play poorly. I hate it. And I love it when I see Dragic making great plays and Parsons playing great D I love it. I was part of the fans that saw a renewed team make a miracle comeback against OKC in Oklahoma. That saw Camby play with one arm better than any center since Yao. That saw us kick butt on the road and come close to giving us a 96% chance to make playoffs.

I was rooting for that team to make the playoffs. But that team died in these last 4 games and now at best we may hobble into the playoffs again. I don't want to hobble in again I am sick of being mediocre and I am not talking about trying to lose. That is ridiculous.

I am talking about doing like Portland. They got rid of everyone that was not part of their future and started trying to win with what was. They are not good but they give it all every game and now have cap space probably 2 decent lottery picks and 2 high second round picks and a promising future.

I want that for our Rockets. I don't want to just make the playoffs just to get humiliated in the first round. I want to go in with a dangerous team that people do not want to face. I want home court again one year in the not so distant future.

So I want us to take our medicine now. It's like when my daughter was little she hated cold medicine. Even cherry kid stuff. She would cry and cry when I gave it to her. ANd I hated giving it to her but I did. I did because I loved her and I wanted her to get better. I want this Rocket team to get better so I prefer we take our medicine now. I know some on her do not think we our sick and others disagree what that medicine should be. ANd I respect that but don't bash me because I think differently.

If we can turn this ship around and this team shows me something that makes me believe we can win in the playoffs I will cheer them on. And even if they don't and we just crawl in I still will be cheering them on. I just want this team to do something this summer.

Oh and although I am not advocating for it now for those who think no decent coach has ever deliberately tried to lose. Try JVG and Popovich for starters. Yes JVG deliberately tried to lose against George Karl and Denver Nuggets in one of the most pathetic games I have ever witnessed. Bogan was in there firing 3's at will. Juwan howard had one of his best games as a Rocket and then JVG removed him for Ryan Bowen and Bogans. We tried our best to lose but we didn't because Karl tried even harder and ran a play for Camby and KMart to shoot threes. We lost Brandon Roy in the draft.

As for Popovich he preceded to lose 34 of his last 37 games and deliberately did not bring Robinson back that year even though it was clear he was ready. They got Duncan and the rest is history. There have been many others who have done that shutting down players at the end of the season insuring they are less likely to win, Playing rookies to develop them. And I am not even advocating that just don't act like good coaches never do it. They do. That being said if we make the playoffs good.. if we don't better.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am okay either way.

If we miss out, we have an extra pick to make trades in the offseason.

If we make it, we will have a competitive series.

19. Prince

Prince Member

nonsense, clutchfans are all the same...

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Miss the playoffs, douse Alexander with a tub of ice water.

Morey (hopefully) gets the leverage to demonstrate to Alexander that the no-rebuilding plan isn't going to work and they need to clear out the roster and build from scratch.

Morey gets two picks to try and find the home run player in the 12-22 range (there's almost always one in there).

Otherwise, we make the playoffs, get bounced in short order...and Alexander continues to think that we're on the right track.

There's no hope for the current roster - it's not that we aren't going to win it all this year...it's that this roster will never sniff contender status. We've got a truckload of strong role players and 2nd tier options...but that's not going to get us anywhere. Look at the list of NBA champions and find the winner without at least one All-NBA type. I don't know that you'd find one among the Conference Finalists.

Euthanize this era. Please.

2 people like this.