1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

This is definitely the HOPE . Of course the market could screw with us and Brew and Smith could receive huge offers from other teams but in a perfect situation this is what I see happening. In this case the team can survive terry walking and Mcdaniels walking. Especially if they use Jones and the Pellies pick to move up and pick a PG/SG

I have high hopes for Johnson and think he will break out next year as a serviceable backup combo guard who excels on Defense with his athleticism. Beverley is the real wildcard in all of this. As PG is our weakest position and we need at least 2 of Beverley/ Llull / Johnson steps up / draft pick PG. Prigioni and terry i dont think can last an entire season playing well.

I definitely think we can withstand a hit to our PF depth because next season Papanikolau will bulk up a bit and be OK at playing 10-15 min a game at the 4. He sort of plays like Josh Smith with less athletisicm but better shooting.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would be shocked if Papanikolaou has his option picked up. I'm not saying he wont be back, but not at the mid-level. Maybe if there is a way to resign him at the vet min, but if that's the case I think another team or gives him more than that to sign elsewhere.

3. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

I actually disagree. I think it's almost a certainty that Pap's option gets picked up because his contract is fully unguaranteed. Morey wouldn't just get rid of a $5 million trade chip, especially after indicating that the Rockets will be operating above the cap this offseason.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I thought the option is what made his contract unguaranteed? Meaning Morey can trade him to another team and they can decide to not pick up his option thus making his contract unguaranteed. If he picks up the option doesn't his second year become guaranteed?

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

No. It's a team option 1st, which the tam can decline and make him a RFA. Or they can pick up the option and he is non-guaranteed.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I actually like everyone on the team
    Some grew on me over time but I even like watching Prigs on the court now

I hope we make a deep run

Rocket River

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm thinking Papa will be packaged in some sort of deal....other players?....draft picks?

He's a decent player and should improve but he won't get any run in Houston.

But, yeah, if no deal comes along....

"I'm sorry, Papa. You've been 'Chopped'. Judges?"

"Papa, while we all appreciate your hustle and grit, your three point percentage wasn't high enough. Also, your fellow forwards were just a bit better. And for that we had to chop you."

"Thank you so much for opportunity.....I go now?"

(Later backstage, speaking to camera)

"Coaches chop me and keep piece of crap Dorsey? Is making me laugh. HA! Anyway, I have 5 millions of their dollars.....3, after the tax."

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Pap's contract is a valuable trade asset because it's fully unguaranteed. 100% sure Pap's team option will be picked up.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No option to pick up. It's just an un-gaurunteed contract that the Rockets can cut at any time after the season.

10. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

What is 790 AM call in number if you want to chime in?

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I pretty much thought that was a given considering their contract situations & what they would have to give up to generate any significant cap space.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

KPap's contract doesn't have an option , its just non-guaranteed until a certain date , once that date arrives it becomes guaranteed (all or partial I don't know).
    If he's not in the teams long term plans , he'll likely be moved prior to that date the deal becomes guaranteed which would allow the team getting him the option to shed the salary or simply keep him - add that to another asset , be it a draft choice or player and you have a nice start to a trade package.

I assume that date is somewhere in the early part of July , just prior to the date FA's can sign deals.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

<iframe id="cbsembed" width="560" height="315" src="http://cbsloc.al/1Qntu4U" frameborder="0" /></iframe>

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

That is incorrect. Kostas' contract is both a team option and fully non guaranteed until early October of 2015.

Here is a link:
    http://rockets.clutchfans.net/page/5/

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

WTF? Rondo was before Smith was released.

Lance doesn't even know the basics about the NBA season. He later admitted he didn't remember Rondo and Carlisle having issues earlier in the season. I wish he would just let Michael Connor ask the questions and go prepare for the draft or something. I mean I know Texans fans drive the ratings and no one cares about the Rockets, but if you don't know ****, don't say ****.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Morey interview at 65 min mark

<iframe width="398" height="224" src="https://www.iheart.com/widget/?showId=26996345&episodeId=27223103" frameborder="0"></iframe>

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I can't make it fast forward to the 65 minute mark. What am I doing wrong?

18. frontline94

frontline94 Member

i can see bev walking away the rockets for more money because he's been paid practically nothing in the last few years... however, smith clearly likes it here and he's getting paid a **** ton of money regardless.... lets not forget mchale giving smith probably one of the most heartfelt compliments in his career.. i htown so far likes smoove and he likes it here too

19. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

you say that like bev should have been getting a huge contract for years.