1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 4, 2015.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>BREAKING: Jameis Winston has been sued over sexual assault allegation.</p>&mdash; Matt Baker (@MBakerTBTimes) <a href="https://twitter.com/MBakerTBTimes/status/588803721712271360">April 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

To be clear, he's being sued over the existing allegation, not a new one.

3. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

How do you know that for a fact? What number am I thinking of right now?

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

5. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

hmmm, is it 7?

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Broncos Antonio Smith investigated for child abuse

Broncos defensive end Antonio Smith is under investigation for alleged child abuse in Fort Bend County, Texas near Houston.

No charges have been filed. TMZ first reported about the alleged incident.

"Our Sheriff's Office has received some information, they're working with our office to try and find out as much information as we can about the allegation," John Healey Jr, District Attorney of Fort Bend County, told 9News. "At this particular point anything in reference to Mr. Smith is just that -- an allegation."

Smith played for the Oakland Raiders last season before signing a one-year, $2 million deal with the Broncos on April 2. Only his $500,000 signing bonus is guaranteed, providing there are no violations of the league's personal conduct policy.

"Last night, we became aware for the first time of an allegation involving Antonio Smith," the Broncos said in a statement. "We are now in the process of gathering more information."

Smith's agent Drew Rosenhaus sent a text saying he had no comment at this time. Broncos players were dismissed for the holiday weekend following their workout Wednesday.

http://www.click2houston.com/sports...-player-investigated-for-child-abuse/33144920

Former Houston Texans player Antonio Smith is being investigated in Fort Bend County for alleged child abuse.

FBCSO confirms it is reviewing claims from someone who alleges the multiple incidents of abuse occurred, dating back to 2010.

"It's an ongoing investigation. I checked with the Sheriff's Department today and they are working with our office to respond to the nature of the complaint. It's not a new complaint. It's what had been brought to our attention by law enforcement and from an individual several months ago," Fort Bend District Attorney John Healy said.

No charges have been filed at this time.

8. Nero

Nero Member

Hey guys,

I am always fascinated at looking back at previous drafts and comparing how the players turned out vs their expectations at the time of the draft.

ESPN has done one of those 're-rankings' for last year, but of course they have stuck it behind their insider pay wall.

Anyone happen to have the text of that click-bait 'article'? I am just morbidly curious..

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Knowing what they know now, the Houston Texans could not feel as good about making Jadeveon Clowney the first pick in the 2014 NFL draft. The St. Louis Rams might have gotten the order reversed when they took Greg Robinson second and Aaron Donald at lucky No. 13. And what to make of Odell Beckham Jr. after he lit up opposing defenses as the third receiver selected?

While NFL teams do not get second chances in the draft, the benefit of hindsight and a few assists from veteran talent evaluators set the foundation for re-ranking of the leading 2014 draft prospects. This retrospective Top 25 features seven receivers overall, including two in the top four slots. Three quarterbacks made the list based partly on positional value, while a fourth QB -- Jimmy Garoppolo -- trailed nearby despite not playing (or perhaps because of it).

This list amounts to a look at how teams might now see the 2014 draft prospects they selected near the top of the round. There's no sense in completely discarding predraft evaluations after just one season, but first impressions are too important to ignore. That helps explain why the first three overall selections -- Clowney, Robinson and Blake Bortles -- fell long distances.

Here is our top 25 re-ranking of the 2014 NFL draft class, created with the input of NFL evaluators:

1. Khalil Mack, OLB, Oakland Raiders: Mack validated his top-five status with a promising rookie season. The Raiders expect him to spend less time in coverage and more time rushing the passer this season.

2. Aaron Donald, DT, St. Louis Rams: Some evaluators think Donald's relatively small stature for the D-tackle position pushed down his stock in the draft. Teams would have a hard time passing up Donald if given another shot.

3. Odell Beckham Jr., WR, New York Giants: Beckham needed just 12 games to amass 91 receptions for 1,305 yards and 12 touchdowns.

4. Sammy Watkins, WR, Buffalo Bills: The only controversy over Watkins' early selection was whether the Bills gave up too much to get him. He was overshadowed by Beckham but still had a very productive rookie season.

5. C.J. Mosley, ILB, Baltimore Ravens: Mosley looks like the latest top-notch linebacker in Baltimore after a rookie season in which he led the team in tackles while also collecting five pass breakups, three sacks, two interceptions and a forced fumble.

6. Anthony Barr, OLB, Minnesota Vikings: Barr proved to be versatile and an impact player as a rookie, easing concerns about positional fit. His physical tools were never in question.

7. Mike Evans, WR, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: This makes Evans the third receiver in the class. Watkins' superior physical gifts keep him in the second spot.

8. Kyle Fuller, CB, Chicago Bears: Fuller winds up being the only corner on this Top 25 list. Bradley Roby came close. Some of the other top corners from this class look like success stories in the nickel role.

9. Zack Martin, G, Dallas Cowboys: Three offensive linemen went before Martin in the 2014 draft, but none joined him on a Pro Bowl roster.

10. Jadeveon Clowney, OLB, Houston Texans: Clowney's obvious talent made him the top overall pick. His inability to stay on the field amplifies concerns about whether he'll produce consistently.

11. Derek Carr, QB, Oakland Raiders: The stats say Carr was ineffective as a rookie, but most of the coaches and evaluators I've consulted favored him over the other 2014 rookie QBs based on his max potential.

12. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Minnesota Vikings: Bridgewater generally impressed during his rookie season with Minnesota. One recurring question from evaluators is whether Bridgewater is better than average in any one area, and what that means for his future.

13. Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Carolina Panthers: Benjamin went 28th in the draft. His 73 catches for 1,008 yards and nine touchdowns helped push him higher as some of the other talented prospects slipped.

14. Brandin Cooks, WR, New Orleans Saints: A hand injury ended Cooks' rookie season just as he was hitting his stride, but his outstanding speed and quickness were nonetheless on display when he was on the field.

15. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Green Bay Packers: Clinton-Dix capped his rookie season with two interceptions against Seattle in the NFC Championship Game.

16. Taylor Lewan, T, Tennessee Titans: A season-ending ankle injury and the Titans' 2-14 record took the shine off Lewan's rookie season without changing opinions on him.

17. Ja'Wuan James, T, Miami Dolphins: James' promising rookie season fell apart when Branden Albert's injury forced a move to the left side. James is back where he belongs for 2015, on the right side of the line, restoring his value.

18. Jake Matthews, T, Atlanta Falcons: Matthews struggled at left tackle: one reason he's this low after the Falcons selected him sixth overall.

19. Jarvis Landry, WR, Miami Dolphins: Is this too early for a slot receiver? Landry averaged only 9.0 yards per catch, but Pro Football Focus had him 16th in cumulative WR grading.

20. Joel Bitonio, G, Cleveland Browns: The Browns took heat for their two 2014 first-round picks -- Justin Gilbert and Johnny Manziel -- but they did well thereafter. Bitonio became a solid starter as the 35th overall choice.

21. Jeremy Hill, RB, Cincinnati Bengals: Hill made it through his rookie season without incident after entering the 2014 draft carrying off-field concerns, including a 2011 charge for sexual assault. His talent was never in question.

22. Greg Robinson, T, St. Louis Rams: Robinson fell this far from second overall amid questions about whether he's better suited at guard. The Rams think he needs reps in a pro-style offense.

23. Davante Adams, WR, Green Bay Packers: Adams landed with a team that knows how to pick and develop receivers. Another team might not get as much from him.

24. Eric Ebron, TE, Detroit Lions: Ebron isn't the first tight end to struggle learning the pro game. His struggles as a rookie drop him this far down, but his talent keeps him in the Top 25.

25. Blake Bortles, QB, Jacksonville Jaguars: The Jaguars seem higher on Bortles than others. Based on the evaluators I spoke to, there's an argument that Garoppolo belongs here instead. We might have an answer come September.

10. Nero

Nero Member

Thanks J.R..

You are awesome!

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I hate that the Ravens keep finding all these linebackers to keep that defense elite. It's the biggest reason why they've been able to remain competitive for so long.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

No doubt in my mind Khalil Mack will be a Pro Bowl edge rusher for years to come assuming he stays healthy. Although his sack numbers were not there last year, he was #1 graded against the run by PFF. He's now bulked up to 265 after packing on 15 pounds of muscle. Just a beast. They will put him on the end of the line on passing downs more this season.

As far as Carr goes, I was never high on him and I didn't like the pick, but I can admit when I'm wrong. He has the tools to be a better than average QB in the NFL. I think you can excuse some of his bad performances last year on being forced to throw because the run game was historically awful. Not to mention his receiver group was as pedestrian as it gets. That being said, I'm not sure he is quite ready to deliver. Adding Amari Cooper and Michael Crabtree will help him progress, but I'm not sure he's ready to make a big leap just yet, especially having to learn a new offense in his 2nd year.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I wanted to trade the #1 to Cleveland contingent on Mack or Barr being there at #8, then take Carr with their 22nd. Drafting Clowney was my 1B choice. Just saying... Carr might not even be all that good.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Another 49er has retired: Anthony Davis

“After a few years of thought, I’ve decided it will be best for me to take a year or so away from the NFL. This will be a time for me to allow my Brain and Body a chance to heal. I know many won’t understand my decision, that’s ok,” Davis said. “I hope you too have the courage to live your life how you planned it when day dreaming to yourself growing up. Your Life is Your dream and you have the power to control that dream. Im simply doing what’s best for my body as well as my mental health at this time in my life.”

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Harbaugh must have seriously ****ed with those guys.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When asked for comment, Kobe Bryant said

[​IMG]

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

bobby is joining the masses being critical of Anthony Davis?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Mostly in a joking manner. If he's set away enough money to last the rest of his life in his 5 seasons in the NFL, then more power to him. If he's throwing away years during his prime only to end up on the next version of "Broke" when it comes out.....well then he deserves to be laughed at.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Apparently in Indianapolis they hang a banner for just about anything that can be seen as an accomplishment.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Oh this is epic. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Finalist?src=hash">#Finalist</a> <a href="http://t.co/4xMutBd5nY">pic.twitter.com/4xMutBd5nY</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/608742673126572033">June 10, 2015</a></blockquote>

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/DezBryant">@DezBryant</a> to me: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cowboys?src=hash">#Cowboys</a> boycott idea's 'Legit, Not bogus. And it cld be longer than just the opener’ <a href="https://twitter.com/1053thefan">@1053thefan</a> <a href="http://t.co/74lBZdOgcK">pic.twitter.com/74lBZdOgcK</a></p>&mdash; mike fisher (@fishsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/609496988292218880">June 12, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dez Bryant considering skipping Cowboys' regular season opener unless he's signed to a long-term contract by July 15. <a href="http://t.co/7OYxhgBgnA">http://t.co/7OYxhgBgnA</a></p>&mdash; SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/609443410320171009">June 12, 2015</a></blockquote>