1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst Starting PG in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mozart123, Jan 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

Let me start with Rafer Alston

2. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

stop making threads :)

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I second that notion:)

Either Luke Ridnour, Rafer Alston, Kyle Lowry, Kevin Ollie...

#3 RudyTBag, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  4. uci

uci Member

Rafer Alston

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

well lets see here is a list of all the starting PGs (or have gotten the most starts)

Rafer Alston
    Jose Calderon
    Jameer Nelson
    Mario Chalmers
    Chris Duhon
    TJ Ford
    Mike James
    Rajon Rondo
    Mike Bibby
    Devin Harris
    Derrick Rose
    Mo Williams
    Jamal Crawford
    Randy Foye
    Chauncey Billups
    Russell Westbrook
    Beno Udrih
    Rodney Stuckey
    Kyle Lowry
    Tony Parker
    Raymond Felton
    Luke Ridnour
    Andre Miller
    Jason Kidd
    Baron Davis
    Steve Nash
    Chris Paul
    Steve Blake
    Derek Fisher
    Deron Williams

out of all those I would say Rafer I would pick over randy foye, mario chalmers, kyle lowry and possibly luke ridnour

players i would say on the same level--felton, blake, uridh

every one is flat out better or are rookies/2nd year guys who have shown more than enough promise to be flat out better.

but if you look at all the PGs I've listed as just as bad or worse than Rafer only one plays for a potential contender in Blake the rest on lottery teams or a team that is probably a 1st round out in the east (chalmers)

that means that rafer alston is quite possibly the worst starting pg of the playoff teams in the west...and while normally i say that you dont need an all-star at each position when everyone else in the west has a great pg who is probably the most important position on the court the rockets have failed to get one themselves that is at least adequate.

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Funny to see Rafer getting mentioned a lot early. My friend, who is a Lakers fan, thinks Alston is a top-10 point guard in the league.

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I think Chris Duhon is (was) as Rafer as you can be, just younger and to his credit progressed in the NY system. If Duhon came to Houston replacing Rafer, he'da been the same low turnovers, sub 40% shooting, reputation as a defender player.

Kyle Lowry and Luke Ridnour I for sure wouldnt take over Rafer, possibly Mike James who's too up and down.

Everyone else is a lateral move or better, or young with potential to get better. I think they're gonna scrap Randy Foye playing point guard but I'd take him on the Rockets as a combo guard. Raymond Felton is an awful shooter, but I'd take give him a look cuz he'd drive in more.

Aggressive athletic bricking > Conservative bricking I guess.

8. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

i hope youre kidding about alston being on the same level as blake!?! If we had a pg like blake we'd be incredible, take alston going 3-13 everynight and plug in blake going 6-12 with 3-6 on three's and opposed to alston going 1-6 from deep and you're talking about 6-9 pts a game difference on the offensive end, defensively is another thing but blake hitting the open shot would be huge with us

9. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

You think Steve Blake would make us incredible? lmao

10. AXG

AXG Member

Looking at that list, the only point guards I would pass over for Alston are Luke Ridnour, Chris Duhon and (maybe) Kyle Lowry.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, but your friend is a Lakers fan. What would HE know? :D

12. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Let me end with Rafer Alston.

Just look at that list. He is the worse.

13. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

When he has started, Travis Diener (sp?) is pretty terrible.

Not so much this year, but Dan Dickau has been dang awful for a good part of his starting days.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Wow I didn't know JVG was a Lakers fan.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Mike James?

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The_Yoyo's list is good cuz it shows most the actual starting point guards. If you go by who's started recently then yeah those 2 are terrible. Can add Kevin Ollie & Sebastian Telfair to that list.

Ridnour, Diener & Dickau are the Tri-Tower Power of (obviously lightly pigmented) small guards with the reputation of being cerebral, make-the-smart-decisions PGs who are good shooters. But they DONT hit shots from outside, below average 3 point shooters.

Trying to see some Jon Stockton & Mark Price in these guys and its not even close.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Uh yes Steve Blake would make us incredible. We already have the athletic driving speedster pg. We need a big pg who can make shots when open....Steve Blake is that guy. He's just under utilized because Roy does all the heavy lifting on that squad. in fact if you think about it Blake is kinda' like a poor man's Roy(without the leadership qualities and slightly worse at everything), which is still better 0-fer....

18. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

This is a stupid thread, no doubt--Rafer Alston..

19. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Why start a thread like this

20. rockets_fanatic

Are we talking about the best player to play the position of point guard or the best actual point guard?

As an example, Jamal Crawford may play the 1 spot, but is not a point guard.