1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which generation is better

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Case closed!

2. SeabrookMiglla

i think its between the 80's and 90's squad. i choose the 90's malone stockton combo with dream jordan barkley its pretty f'ing sick. the 2000's and 10's are too many individual players, i dont think they would mesh as well together as the 80's and 90's guys, different era and style of play. i dont know too much about 70's or 60's basketball so i cant really say...

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

90's by a long far margin

C-Hakeem-Ewing
    PF-Malone- Shawn Kemp
    SF-pippen -barkley
    Sg- Jordan- Glyde
    Pg-payton- penny hardaway

4. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Davis will be great but he won't be able to hold any of those centers! Him against Shaq, Kareem, Hakeem, Wilt or Russell? Nope. Neither can KD hold any of the PFs.

I'll take the 2000's if you substitute Nash or Kidd for AI. Definitely want someone who can feed the ball to Shaq, Kobe, LeBron and Duncan rather than take shots away. I would probably take Kidd due to his defense. I would even nominate Paul since he had some of his best statistical years in the 00's (over 30 PER, multiple steals and assist leader).

90's comes in a close 2nd. Would have been 1st if Malone and Stockton weren't on there ;). Much rather have Gary Payton at the 1, move Barkley to the 4, maybe Drexler at the 3 for his overall game? Possibly Pippen if you only want defense primarily or Wilkins if you want a show!

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Only old enough to know the 90s and beyond, but if those are the rosters, 90s wins all the way. Those players complement each other better than the 00s or 10s who are very ball-dominant.

6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I'd say the two decades 75-95 was the period of the best talent in the entire history of the NBA. Lots of overlap in that era.

My team pick would be narrowed to between 70s, 80s, 90s, with final choice of 90s for Dream and Jordan.

7. JazzLakerHater

I'd probably go with the 90s just for sole fact that you have the GOAT and Hakeem. I'd probably replace Iverson with Dirk in the 00s.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would also like to add that the best year for Clutchfans was the last year in the 90s

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

Hard to pick, all generations had great players. If you look at some of the talent of today with Durant's handle for a big guy, the crazy athletic freak Westbrook, Harden with the throwback game, Curry with probably some of the best handles and definitely one of best 3pt shooters once it's all said and done, you gotta give this era some credit. Also Lebron, Chris Paul, Duncan and some other greats in the 10s.

Only the big man position is nothing special in this era. I mean, Davis is great, but put him against true shot blockers and strong big men like Shaq, Ewing, David, Olajuwon and even the likes of Eaton and no way that guy gets a lot of stuff done like he does today. I think every era has some positions that just stand out and it's too tough to compare because of rule changes and everything that comes with a specific era.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the 90s at the games, they played hip hop hooray which is a beautiful song that ties hip hop, the nba, and happiness together.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

All those players except for Penny, Payton, and Kemp were 80's players also. So now replace those guys with 3 of the following.

Magic
    Bird
    Moses
    Dominique Wilkins
    McHale
    Zeke
    Rodman

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

80s, early 70s/90s (tie), 00s, 10s, late 70s, 60s, 50s.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

By the same token, the 80s and 90s would foul out and be left in the dust by the sophistication of the 2000 generation. I mean which is better, the cars made by Ford or the latest edition Veyron? The jets in the 80s or the jets made today? Rambo or Drones? Technology and techniques always push humanity forward, however due to nostalgia some people think that for some reason people stopped improving 20 years ago. The current gen will be the best, it just doesnt seem that way because they're still young, but a prime Anthony Davis, Harden, Curry, Townes etc. will beat Dream and MJ if those two were stuck with the 80s tech and training. Just the increased utilization of 3 pters alone will give them a major edge.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Actual people are not like tech gadgets and electronics, though.

Yes, advances in tech does improve training, which does improve physical skills and techniques. But human bodies and brains do not have the big forward progression in processing power like computers. Physical improvements are still incremental decade by decade. And the BRAINS of the players are basically the same. Fatigue and mental strength are variables that affect performance.

Analogy: put a 25 year old Halle Berry in the 90s or 25 y-o Halle in the 10s, it doesnt matter what era shes in she's gonna be hot and hittable. Its not like she'd be a Sega Genesis out of place in PS4 times, the field of human play isnt THAT far advanced.

And, listen to what youre saying, that TOWNES and star player will beat Hakeem and Jordan. You made some good points, but that claim doesnt have anything to do with "unnoticed improvement" in todays players. That is making a bold proclamation with little to no body of work to support it.