1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[video] Highlights

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daRox, Feb 18, 2005.

1. daRox

daRox Member

I'm starting to use my company server to archive Rockets' highlights. try this link and tell me what you think of it. I was only able to get the past few highlights. I'll try to collect more (or if any of you can provide them). This is just a testing phase to observe bandwidth consumptions. I'm throttling download rate from 1.5megabits to 1.7megabits.

Tell me what you think I should add. Thanks

BTW, i can possibly archive 82 games (50Mb each) but try to keep this page outside of China as much as possible.

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

the loading time was pretty long When i'm at home i will try again and tell you what i think of it.

3. daRox

daRox Member

weird, it usually wouldn't take that long...try again later

4. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

It's efforts like this that make my life better. Thank you.

It is loading a little slow right now.

5. daRox

daRox Member

sorry guys, it rarely happens. The mainsite is down, too. I'll try to fix this as soon as possible

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Isn't there a way to block Chinese IP's. Otherwise I wouldn't risk it. Because it only takes one inconsiderate jerk to send your bandwidth costs through the roof.

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

the loading time is good now. It is a nice site. it is great for the non american fans that so many people do these kind of things. so we can also see the game's/highlights

daRox you do not have a problem with the european's on the site?

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I think we can make this work....the load would be much reduced if we also used bittorrent to distribute the highlights, that way the server only has to seed the intial few people that get it...then everyone else gets their copies from other users.

that would greatly reduce the server bandwidth.

daRox,

sorry for not getting back to ya...been dealing with our server issues.:(

appreciate your help.....hit me a mail using the board so we can work out the best way to do this.
    I know from personal experience what kind of bandwidth load we are talking abotu here...and I wouldnt wish that on anyone...but there is a way to accomplish this without anyone getting slammed...
    Im ashamed I didnt impliment it before this....I just had no idea how popular these were gonna be...

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Nice site, thanks a lot. It's very much appreciated.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I have highlights of the games in feb here are yousendit links for them, please repost a link if you download one to keep it going and to ease the load on daRox's server. BW isnt cheap and just by rough estimates I would say 5000 people download these highlights (active members/lurkers) and each clip is avg 40mb meaning thats ~200gig of transfer on EACH clip. I am sure the actual # is more with all the other bbs in the usa and china the original links were posted on. Sorry about the issues R2K its a shame that the behavior of a few had to ruin it for the rest.
    Also just be forewarned right now daRox about the bw if you can block the ip ranges from cn you should be ok.

once again if you leech here please repost a link I'll try to keep updating them myself or add more links during the day.

Thanks
    Yoyo

anyways here we go:

Sixers

Wolves

Lakers
    1 2

Bulls

Pacers

Blazers

Wizards

#10 The_Yoyo, Feb 18, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  11. daRox

daRox Member

Hey thanks guys. This is just temporary thing. I'm actually looking into a 100Gb/month plan that solely hosts R2K highlights.

What do you guys think about this:

Only enable 2 most recent highlights

Only enable other highlights by requests (doing so would disable the older highlight).

I'm trying to find ways to help people who can't see the games.

====================

Another plan that I have is to use it for the initial game torrent and host the most recent highlight

====================

Can someone with a little math skills figure out if 100Gb/month is enough? Thanks

12. daRox

daRox Member

Oh by the way, since posting the page yesterday, I got so many downloads that slow down my company's main site. I'm going to pull it and wait until I get another plan just for R2K highlights. BW is fricking expensive even though we live in a tech savvy age.

13. The_Yoyo

daRox based on my crude calcs on just the highlights alone 100gb/month probably wouldnt suffice at all especially if you get the folks over in cn hammering the page. Most of R2K's clips are 40mb in size and so even 5000 people downloading them would be 200gb just for that one clip. the games being 700mb would mean if you have the initial server seed open for a few hours to get the swarm started you may go over the 100gb/month limit easily (once again even more so if the users in china hit it) because that would mean roughly 120 ppl or so getting the game. I wouldnt really risk it especially if it slows down your company server. unless something comes along i think ppl will have to live with ysi links because there is no other way that is cheap and fair.

14. daRox

daRox Member

OK. thanks The_Yoyo, I'll look into it and keep you guys posted.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Does anyone have the T-Mac's 13 in 35 video? I've never seen it. It was one of the few games I've had to miss this year.

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

yes...but it is temporarily offline.

email me and we can make arrangements

considering the transfer stats when I posted that video.,..I think you are the only person in the world that didnt get it.. ;)

17. Mooch

Mooch Member

i have 75MB i can use from my UT webspace.. but im not sure if theres a bandwith limit.. ill look into it and let yall know

18. Mooch

Mooch Member

nevermind the bandwith sucks.. but i have a site that transfers 50GB/month..

19. The_Yoyo

schools generally have limits and unless you can prove the bw is school related and essential they will shut down the page. it was in the small print on the internet agreement license all students had to sign if they lived in the dorms at my school and also my friend at Arizona State freshman year put something online that was heavily downloaded and received an email stating he was using up 75% of all outgoing bw in the school and that if he didnt take action to stop it there would be even more serious consequences other than the page being taken down

20. entaro

entaro Member

The site is not working anymore... must have been bombarded with 94 million request from China...;)