1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GriffinHorry/HorryGriffin - toss up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macho GRANDE, Feb 5, 2003.

1. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

This is the first season that I've had a chance to watch much Rocketball since EG's been aboard (relocation). He was on my fantasy team last season therefore I was able to follow his statlines which were somewhat impressive.

But after watching him this season he seems to be nothing more than a young Robert Horry clone IMO. Sporatic 3pt shooter. Good post defender. Not much of an offensive arsenal. No ball handling skills. Better shot blocker but not quite the slasher that Bob was though.

What's so great about EG's upside. Didn't we go through all of this ten years ago when we were calling Horry the next Pippen? "All Horry needs to do is improve his ball handling". Remember that?

That being said, from reading a ton of posts it seems that most of you guys feel that Griffin will be an unbelievable talent over the long haul. Could you guys show me what I'm failing to witness. I just don't see it. I don't think that he'll be any better than Bob was (not that there's anything wrong with that).
    ;)

2. ewfd

ewfd Member

I've never been an Eddie fan..

I don't see us getting far with him at the 4 =\

we just need a good defender and rebounder.. some kind of enforcer

3. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

As long as we all agree................:D

4. James23

James23 Member

i totally agree with you. eddie griffin plays like horry except horry is a much better defender with his long arms and a better shooter in my opinion.

5. sun12

sun12 Member

Well, majority of the teams in the league did not rate EG as the top draft pick, instead, most of them hyped about the high school
    kids.

The Rox was so excited about EG, actually rated him #1, so that it used 3 first-round picks for EG. EG better be a good PF in the future. Otherwise ...

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

you all do know he is just 20 years old. do not expect so much from him. jermaine o'neal didn't perform good until he was in his 3 year, of 4, i'm not sure. after he got traded to indiana. and mcgrady also began to play great after he got traded. i would hate it if we traded griffin and he starts to play like we know he can. give him time

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The deal is actually quite clear. Last yr, Rudy corrupted this guy into thinking he was a jump shooting 3pt power forward. Now all of a sudden we want him to be a very good post player. I've said it many,many times that I've never seen a big player be perimeter first and low post second and become a good post player. Never.All good post players learn the art of being able to score down low first or with their back to the basket, then move out. I remember Garnett as a guy who's range was limited to about 8 to 10 ft. He got confortable with his footwork and moved out. Now his range is about 18ft with ease. J.Oneal was the same way while he was at Portland. I see another guy who plays in his limits in Amare, but guys like Eddie never become accomplished low post players because the 3pt line is basically a bail out.