1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shipley Donuts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dream34, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Well got back from my mini-trip to Houston. All I can say is man I am having a serious craving for Shipley Donuts. Those glazed donuts made fresh in the morning have got to be the best donuts I have ever tasted. Just delicious and finger licking good... Even better than Krispy kreme.

Man, I can't wait till my next trip to Houston so I can get me some Shipley donuts and eat at Ninfas... That was some good Mexican....

I so wish they had Shipleys in Florida but no such luck....

2. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Shipley Donuts is great. I hate Krispy Kreme and their hockey pucks of sugar.

I've also always found Ninfa's to be vastly overrated, even the one on Navigation.

3. droxford

droxford Member

I agree. Ninfa's isn't bad.. it's just overrated.

4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

You will never lose the craving. Welcome to the rest of your life.

:(

5. kikimama

kikimama Member

mmm... so moist and fluffy. Unlike those walmart-like donuts of sugar from krispy kremes.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I have to take at least a dozen chocolate filled to my sister in California every time I visit her. She doesn't let me in her house until I show her the box. :D

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm not really a donut guy, but when I do get them, there is NOTHING like a Shipley's glazed after a few seconds in the microwave. Nothing.

Never been a fan of Krispy Kreme. I had them once and thought they were disgusting.

I actually had no idea Shipleys was local to Houston. I thought they were national.

8. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

People in Boston are obsessed with Dunkin Donuts
    There are only 2 in Houston. So whats better Dunkin or Shipleys?

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Not even close. Shipley's is MUCH better than Dunkin.

One problem I have with Shipley's is at some of their franchised locations, the donuts aren't that good. Some are fine. Every one of their corporate owned shops is great.

Krispy Kremes are terrible. Never liked them from day and never understood what the fuss was all about. Their donuts are prettier, but who cares?

10. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Dunkin Donuts are like the little packages of powdered donuts you get at 7-11.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Let me add the only donuts I've liked better than Shipley's is Long's Donuts in Indianapolis (Speedway). I not sure if they are still around. We used to drive 15 miles out of the way just to go there.

12. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

13. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I do like Shipley's... but less so since I got food poisoning there a couple years back.

The only better place as far as I'm aware is Meche's Donut King in Lafayette, LA. Best donuts and king cakes in the world, hands down.

14. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

I love Shipley kolaches. I went to visit my Uncle and Aunt in New York back in high school, and we stopped by a Dunkin Donuts. I asked where the kolaches were...

My uncle looked at me, laughed, and asked: "WHAT THE HELL ARE KOLACHES!?"

Sura faints...

15. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Southern Maid, b!tches. Then Shipleys, then Dunkin'.

16. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

Yessss... Southern Maid rules. Croissant kolaches!

17. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Contributing Member

Shipley's have the best donuts and kolaches. Krispy Kreme is overrated.

18. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

There is no comparison between Shipleys and any other donut chain. Dunkin Donuts is a national chain but they lack in comparison to Shipleys. Krispy Kreme are the closest thing in Florida in comparison to Shipleys but even Krispy falls so far behind it is not even funny. It is like when you have tried the best of something and only have that taste as a memory. Sorry, I am getting delusional.

I want some Shipleys and I want them know. Anyone flying into Miami/Ft. Lauderdale anytime soon. :)

You guys in Houston should not take for granted those small beautiful donuts... They are a national treasure...

19. conquistador#11

I really enjoy the cake donuts.
    Did you get those donuts with a brew of their yummy coffee?
    Unlike some capitalist establishments where the coffee is yucky(panera's), shipley's coffee is actually fresh.
    Back when I picking beans in guatemala, we used to make fresh coffee...ohh wait, nm.

20. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Krispy Kreme is wayyyyyy to sweet for me. Shipley's is just right. Also their chocolate doughnuts seem to have a hint of coffee in them like professional chefs use to make chocolate taste better.