1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao gained 10 pounds.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by choujie, Jan 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. choujie

choujie Member

2. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

340 pounds? This can't be healthy can it?

3. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

i thought that ming was falsely advertised for being 296, but was really like 265. it makes it hard to guess his weight bc of his lopsided boy but i still dont think he is 300 plbs

4. walterw

walterw Member

What is Yao's trainer thinking? Market Yao's meat huh:rolleyes:

5. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

In the last game I noticed that his upper-body looked a little thicker.

6. ewfd

ewfd Member

Yao is still a growin' boy, I'm sure he'll get even bigger as time goes by.. by the end of his contract, he'll be filled out.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

10 pounds is pretty good for 2 months of working out. yao is gonna have some muscle by next season!

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Withmustard,Yao was weighed at his initial NBA tryout in Chicago at 296lbs.

9. CY02

CY02 Member

I just hope that he doesn't get overweight like Shawn Kemp and Shaq. :eek:

10. AT

AT Member

I just hope that doesn't have anything to do with his shooting percentages of late...

11. akuma

akuma Member

Well, i hope that Yao doesn't get well over 300 lbs. 340!? Man, if Michael Jordan was 35 lbs overweight, he couldn't fly. :D Wait, he can't fly anymore at any weight. But y'all know what i mean. Yao already can barely get off the ground. Yao's not going to win any jump balls ever if he tips the scales at 340. Remember he's Chinese. They're smaller boned than their black and white counterparts. Most of his weight is in his lower body. The only people with thicker legs in the NBA are the fatties. And even Kemp's thighs didn't look much thicker than Yao's calves. Yao's ball-handling/dribbling, driving skills and overall movement will suffer with any extraneous heft. Outside of the Big Fat (Shaq), what quality center in the league is over 300 lbs.? Strength can be increased without adding considerable mass. Just look at Bruce Lee. Now what if he had learned to play basketball?

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

If there is any substance to the fact that the Rox Trainer wants Yao Ming to reach 346lbs. he must be truly a mental case! Yao Ming needs strength with a minimum increase in body weight. It is not natural for him to have a heavy upper body. His game depends upon his fluid movement and decision making. Upper body weight will take away his advantage of a light upper on a very strong lower, in as much as he will have a life of leg injuries and early retirement due to the changes brought about by the shift in the weight/strength balance.If he became 30% stronger in his upperbody and kept the weight to a max of 310lbs.then there is a good chance that Yao Ming will still have a healthy Basketball life. The Trainer could RUIN Yao Ming by trying to make him into something that he is NOT. I hope its not true!

13. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Yao at 340? :eek: You gotta be kidding. I hope someone in the Rox organization will put a stop to this madness immediately. If Yao has to carry that much weight, he will start having knee problems like Shaq in a few years.

I like Yao to be the lean mean machine.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Once he gets stregnth, he'll gain weight in muscle mass. 35lbs of muscle, would be to bad because of his angular, tall frame. Most of the so called added muscle will come in the chest and arm area where he needs it most. Also , even though he has large calves, he can also get stronger in the lower body area also. The base is what will keep players from pushing him off the blks.. The same program, Eddie should be on also. 35-40 lbs wouldn't hurt him at all.

15. MingRules

MingRules Member

He's 1.7m in 3rd grade...

16. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

346 lbs seems like a lot of weight for some people, but you have to remember he's 7'6, and while he is already a big fella, he's still not as strong as he could be. If he could get a thicker chest in the muscle region, man what an added scary force he'd be to face. People often forget Shaq in his rookie year. He was a big person then, but I know he must of atleast put on another 30 lbs of muscle in strength training over the years. He's just a much thicker person now. And while he is a bit of a fatty, no fatty can move around the floor the way he can. And while people would say it would ruin Yao's shooting touch, I honestly wouldn't mind it at all. He'd have a much easier time fighting for better inside position with that added muscle instead of getting pushed around the 14 foot area having to force up a fade away. While it's pretty when it falls in, it's not nearly as high percentage a shot he could get if he were stronger. People often bash Shaq cuz' he's such a dominant player in the low post and criticize that he doesn't have a jumper. My question to those that criticize are, if you were a player with that body and talent, would you settle for a 15 foot jumper or a higher percentage 6 to 8 foot hook/jumper/ up and under layin. I rest my case :D

17. albert57d

albert57d Member

wasnt it mentioned here a week or so ago that Yao feels tired and has hit the rookie wall. Could it be that in his desire to gain more weight quickly he is working out more than he should and thus feels more tired these days

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's all these burgers and coke.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

MoT must be easing Yao into the finer comforts of NBA life....

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Thanks nothin....I gained 10 lbs over the holidays! I could easily put on another 30...