1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CFB Playoff Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Oct 28, 2014.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You knew the deal before this came out. Just win @LSU and at home against AU and Mississippi State and your team is in.

Simple, right?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Agree, we all get things wrong, but I didn't think TAMU would be good this season.

3. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Basically the committee is telling teams to beat the brakes off of whoever you play. Oh we will if you want it like that.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Same way I feel about TCU.

Had they just taken care of business, and not choked away the game @ Baylor.

I think the biggest thing against Baylor, is they lost to (at the time unranked?) W. Virginia. And haven't had to play any one else of note in the Big12 yet besides TCU...which was a fun, and close final score game.

But....each will have their chance to enhance their resumes by winning here on out. Can't wait till Saturday.

5. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

TCU has incredible games vs WVU & K State .

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Exactly. If Baylor wins out, they'll be fine, I think. If they don't, then they don't deserve to be there, anyway.

7. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

If we win that game next week in Norman I think we will win out. Would be huge if K-State can win out until that final game which would set up another top 10 match up. I think the winner of that game has a real shot to make it to the playoff.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Haaa best thing I have read in a while. Thumbs up

9. Major

Major Member

As I stated in the text you quoted, Auburn, Alabama, and LSU went out and proved themselves against other conferences. And then the Mississippi schools beat those SEC schools.

I already mentioned Oregon has a good case and is right there with the SEC teams. Not sure what ND's case is as of now. Close losses are nice, but they aren't wins. And ND's best win is against an unranked Stanford team, at home, by 3 points. Their best win is a squeaker against a mediocre team.

Except for that whole beating a good team thing.

Because of their 1 win against a 2-loss OU team? That's better than beating Alabama?

You seem to be far more impressed by TCU and ND losing to good teams than teams like Ole Miss actually beating them.

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Who did Bama prove themselves against out of conference? That's the one big win on their resume. West Virginia? Who did A&M prove themselves against out of conference? Ole Miss hasn't played Auburn yet and lost to LSU.

Stanford was #14 when ND played them. They are the same caliber of team as West Virginia IMO.

Agreed, but they also haven't lost to a team like LSU either.

Didn't that OU team just beat that Bama team the last time they played? Didn't that OU team bring back more of their team, yet somehow started ranked lower? I'm not convinced that Bama would beat the team's OU lost to this season either. They have played one good team this season and they lost. They almost lost to Arkansas man! I have plenty of Bama friends who note the team doesn't look great this year.

They have beaten just as many good teams as Bama has. But yes, I am more impressed with ND barely losing to Fl St than I am with Ole Miss beating a Bama team that I don't think is that great.

11. Remii

Remii Member

This... All of it.

Just to address the highlighted part... There's no shame in losing to LSU rather ranked or not.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Icehouse grasping at straws...

Think about the SEC however you may please...but the committee clearly sees otherwise, and that's the opinion I care about.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

LOL

Letting the Jazz bust us up.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Uhhhh...wrong thread...

15. Major

Major Member

Where did I mention A&M? Yes, Auburn beat a 5-2 WVU team.

What? WVU is 5-2 with a win over a top 10 Baylor. Stanford is 5-3 with no wins over ranked teams.

You mean a team that's 7-2 with 2 wins over ranked opponents and 2 losses to a pair of top-5 teams? LSU is not some crap team. You don't have to agree with Sagarin, but again it has no SEC bias - and it puts LSU as #9 in the country.

So now you not only want to ignore big wins, you want to look at last year and prioritize that? And single game results at that? :confused: Who cares what happened last year? If we're looking at that, TCU shouldn't even be in the discussion given their 4-8 record back then.

Both polls and computers all disagree with you. Sagarin gives Alabama 3 wins over top 30 teams. TCU and ND each have 1. So basically, you're complaining that the voters and committee don't rank teams based on your personal biases that none of the data agrees with.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'd let it go, Major. He's convinced the SEC bias runs amok, and is just ignoring evidence of the contrary.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I've got to say.... the committee really did a good job. Feeling pretty good about the methodology. And I don't even like Ole Miss.

18. Major

Major Member

1 person likes this.
  19. Major

Major Member

Sorry - to clarify above, not all are computers apparently. It's a list of all sorts of different ranking systems.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

11/4/2014
    25. Wisconsin
    24. Georgia Tech
    23. West Virginia
    22. Duke
    21. Clemson
    20. Georgia
    19. Arizona
    18. UCLA
    17. Utah