1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Root Sports Houston :-)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by msn, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msn

msn Member

Here's hoping for some good news Tuesday. Isn't it cool to have a thread not titled, "CSN"? :cool:

2. Victorious

Victorious Member

It's good that more people will see the game but CSN Houston had pretty good content and programming. I found myself watching the local based shows more than ESPN. It was very well done. Too bad most of Houston couldn't watch.

With Root Sports, all we're really getting is a pre game show, the actual game and post game. But I guess that's better than nothing. Going to miss csn Houston though.

1 person likes this.
  3. Fantasma Negro

It sucks ppl have to get fired but if it means the city can watch the games then I guess that's just collateral damage. Blame Jim Crane if Root can't find a way to implement some local driven content but I'd rather be able to see every game without local programs than nothing at all

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The next update should come October 21st if I understood things correctly. On that date we should know if this channel will exist on the 29th.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Anybody know what DTV channel it will be?

6. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

6th time's a charm, hopefully this is the magical thread we've been waiting on and it doesn't get locked!

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Did I miss something? Did Comcast indicate they would not be filing an appeal of the valuation?

8. Storm the Field

They indicated they won't file any appeal prior to the confirmation hearing.

9. Storm the Field

Why? Root Sports Houston will be operated by DirecTV. I'd imagine they have say over all programming decisions.

10. E-Man

E-Man Member

Will Calvin Murphy still be doing the pre and post game shows for the Rockets like on CSN for Root Sports Houston?

11. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Doesn't the failure of CSN-H to prosper signify that Houston just isn't that big of a sports town? I haven't delved into the legal rigmarole, but CSN thought they could get the rights, and make a great Houston Sports channel where customers would either demand it from their own networks or switch to Comcast. However, since nobody really cared enough to watch the Rockets and Astros (clutchfans included-see ballstream thread), the network failed and filed bankruptcy.

The channel itself was awesome and I for one will really miss the Sports Talk Live and Astros/Rockets insider shows. The failure of CSN simply demonstrates Houston is not a passionate sports town and we don't deserve the privilege of a Houston-centric sports channel. This realization quietly breaks my heart, although it does not surprise me. H-town seems like it is all transplants sometimes and baseball in general is losing popularity amongst the younger generations.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Would you consider LA or Portland passionate about their teams?

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It might indicate that if this were an isolated incident..but it's not.

The Blazers have had the same problem in Portland for about 6 seasons.

The Dodgers weren't on the air for most of the market in LA this year. As I recall, only about 30% of the market in LA has access to the channel they're shown on.

Both of those teams have very strong followings.

Houston was just a battleground for a larger war regarding RSN's. The distributors pushed back and seem to have the upper hand at this point.

14. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Houston cares for their Rockets, but when it comes to jumping over cable providers just to catch Rockets and Astros game. People will always say it ain't worth that hassle. In addition, when you take Rockets away from fans who been watching them for ages. You can't think they will just forgive them and join them.

Comcast was great for shows, you could stay up to date on sports there. But, the way CSN came into Houston and took our Rockets and Astros.. yeah, peace out CSN.

15. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Personally, I'd rather the ability to watch the games and get all my sportstalk on on here. Maybe, just maybe sometimes I'll watch the pregame, never the postgame and will never just make it a thing to watch someone's show talking about the rockets. If its on while I'm watching TV, then cool. If i'm watching another game, and they talk about the rockets, then cool, i'll listen. But I could care less about the content, give me the game.

16. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Most of the time, my games get recorded on my DVR and I speed through them. Pre-game, post-game and any of the other shows don't get watched in my house. Heck, I barely even watch when someone's shooting free throws....such is life with a 2 and 3 year old in the house.

Just glad it's almost resolved.

1 person likes this.
  17. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

It almost seems like they were trying to charge more to cater to a minority group of people (people watch pregame and postgame amongst other content). Why couldn't they charge less and provide less content? I don't know, just glad its almost over too

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Exactly. We already have 17 sports talk radio stations. I don't really need 24/7 coverage of the Astros and Rockets. I just want to watch the damn games.

19. Granville

Granville Member

100% agree.

20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Will Dish Network have this channel?
    Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.