1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Breaks Out? Who Flops?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by torque, May 4, 2012.

1. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Every year in any sport there seems to be a couple of players on the team that come from relative obscurity and play big. Likewise, inevitably a couple players with high expectations will disappoint.

Last year, the break outs were JJ Watt, Connor Barwin, Brooks Reed, Ben Tate and Chris Myers.

The busts were Jacoby Jones (although we already knew that), Demeco Ryans and Andre Johnson's right and left hamstrings.

Who will be this year's surprises and disappoints?

I got Brandon Brooks and Kareem Jackson as my break outs, and the two receivers we drafted as the busts.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Cushing will break somebody.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think it's hard for a 3rd or 4th round WR to be a "bust" after just one year.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

James Casey emerging as a pass catching threat

5. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Casey is the reason why i'm not worry when Joel left

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think breakouts will be Brooks and Keshawn Martin. (relative to expectations, I don't expect Martin to emerge as a star.)

Bust will be Kareem, again. Now without someone splitting time as a starter to begin the year it will be obvious how bad he is.

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

Lester Jean this guy maybe a sleeper if he stays healthy.

8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Break-out year for Rashad Butler.

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Hard for me to think of a Texans player and say bust. I think they are all going to be good. Break outs would be Jean and Kareem.

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I AM READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!

Casey is a good choice for breakout player of the year. We're going to also need at least one of our new WR's to come up big and make some catches.

There will be no flops.

11. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

LeStar Jean, Sharpton and Casey as Breakouts.:)

Kareem and Caldwell as Busts.:(

12. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

people calling kareem a bust arent paying attention. this is the year we'll see the jump in his game. i almost feel like his rookie season was a waste, seeing as how he had poor db coaching, no safeties, and a terrible dc.. wade talked about how kareem had poor technique last season, i have to believe wade and vance are correcting this. if you paid enough attention to kareem last year, you can see that he can mirror his man stride for stride, he's been beat with some great throws/catches and is a liability deep. however, improved safety play limited the deep ball against the texans last year. (seemed like we were giving up bombs every game in 2010)

kareems biggest weakness is his inability to locate the ball, its more-so that he just doesnt ever attempt to locate it, opposed to the claim than he just cant do it.. i still think that he has that rookie season in his mind and doesnt want to get burnt for a big play like he did so much in 2010.. he has to trust his safeties and have that clock in his head go off when its time to start looking for the ball..

13. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

He played well against Boldin in the playoff game. Turned his head and looked for the ball plenty of times (just as Boldin would look, Kareem would look). Flacco just made ridiculous throws in the most perfect spots for Boldin to make a great catch.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

KJ just needs safety help. It is what it is. Not his fault he was drafted too high.

For breakouts, I'll go:
    Casey FB
    Harris CB

Bust
    Mitchell

15. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Breakouts:

Schaub, Brooks, Butler, Martin.

Busts:

Posey will suck in his 1st season, but he will get better in his 2nd season.
    Caldwell

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

How can a guy who has led the NFL in passing have a "breakout" year?

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

By playing consistent, coming through in clutch passing situations, and finish the season by leading your team to a Super Bowl.

18. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

schaub goes down, yates has 2 bad games, so we go with keenum to end the year....he goes 5-0 with 2,500 passing yards to end the year and leads up to a super bowl win, he holds out and signs a deal topping peyton's contract for richest QB deal ever and we let schaub walk.

In all reality, i expect casey to emerge and the 3rd round guard we just pulled to hopefully end our 3rd and short and 4th and short dilemma. I expect Brooks Reed to his 12+ sacks and I expect Connor Barwin to approach DeMarcus Ware for Sack lead in the NFL...seriously

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

considering he's already done the first two things, its Superbowl or bust.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Casey sucks bad. Probably because he spent too much time at thug U.