1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Throwback question: Houston Rockets pick in the 78' draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LFE171, May 12, 2008.

1. LFE171

LFE171 Member

This is a question for all you old school fans,

So I wasn't born yet to watch the old school rockets of the 70s but I have a question about our draft.

Rudy T got hurt with the infamous Kermit Washington incident in december of 77 and was out for the season playing only 23 games, and Moses was riddled with injuries playing only 59 games.

http://www.clutchfans.net/teams.cfm?season=1978

Since I guess we were the WORST team that season next to New Jersey, shouldn't we have had the #2 pick in the 78' draft? Possibly picking up Larry Bird, or Michael Ray Richardson or anyone else? Why didn't we have a pick that year?

Can someone enlighten me and tell me who we got by trading that pick away?

On a side note...man that squad had potential. The year after we got swept by ATL in 2 games.

http://www.clutchfans.net/teams.cfm?season=1979

Talk about consistent scorers who came out and played. Moses has 82 games, Murphy has 82 games, Rudy plays 74, Rick Barry plays 80, robert reid with 82.

Ugh...I wish we had some game footage of this old school team. I bet they were tru warriors who came out to ball.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did VCRs exist in 78?

3. abita

abita Member

no idea, maybe they have blu ray? :p

4. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

$2000!! back in the day. that means it would cost some crazy like $10,000 today.

5. abita

abita Member

by all means, what is it? tape? :confused:

6. LFE171

LFE171 Member

7. tinman

Supporting Member

dude.
    its a vcr. i know its ancient stuff like black and white tvs to you youngsters!

8. abita

abita Member

well, i was born around that period. but my first contact with vcr was in the mid 80s. by the way, black and white tv was my first tv. :rolleyes:

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Seriously, it was a fun team to watch, and it's how I became a rabid Rockets fan. Moses Malone was especially amazing. An every night hos.

The first finals trip, in 1981... people forget about that one. I think we lost because we had no real depth.

10. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Man, just watching Rudy T all day would be heaven. What a PLAYER.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

do you have an orginal bumble-bee or jetfire Gen 1?
    :p

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I remember that series when Moses talked trash, saying that he could beat the Celtics with 4 guys from his home town high school.

The Rockets were obviously out-talented by the deep Celtics. But they did go down fighting, taking it to 6 games.

13. tikwanleap

tikwanleap Contributing Member

Interesting link.

Looks like the Rockets had already traded away their 1977 and 1978 first round picks to the Braves for Moses Malone. So they didn't have a pick that year.

14. kejohn

kejohn Member

I can't believe they actually had a ten round draft.