1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ronnie Brewer

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by emjohn, Mar 21, 2006.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/ronniebrewer.asp
    http://probasketball.about.com/library/weekly/bl_ronniebrewer.htm
    http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=64

I'm intrigued, if not sold, on this guy. Seems to fit all but a couple of the things I would personally want from our draft pick:
    -Guard with size (6-7, long arms)
    -Ball-handling, playmaking skills, good passer (including the post!)
    -Should be ready to come in and contribute

Major downside is that he's not a strong outside shooter (with a jumper that makes Marion's look pretty).

It's my view that we are badly in need of an athletic swingman that can make up for our legion of 6-2 guards and has the capacity to create for others, a collossal problem for us whenever McGrady sits or sits out.

Redick is a phenomnal shooter, but I have my doubts as to whether he can be effective when blanketed by superior athletes with size. Even if he can, he'll bring all of the limitations that Wesley is hampered with: can't create off the dribble, can't reasonably guard scorers.

Evan

2. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

brewer is a good player, but i think brandon roy is a better prospect all-around. he's also a terrific athlete but is A LOT more refined offensively. his jumpshot has gotten a lot better over the last few seasons and has the ability to be a very good defender at the next level as well.

brewer is a good scorer but has a very akward and unreliable jumpers.

i'd say carney and roy are better fits for houston.

3. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

He reminds me of Larry Hughes. I don't think he'll help us as much as say, Rodney Carney or Brandon Roy.

edit: it helps to read all of the replies! hakeem06 came up with the same conclusion as I did.

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I go to college in Arkansas and will likely be attending the University of Arkansas to go to law school next year...As a result, I have seen a lot of Razorback basketball. I even went to the NCAA tournament this past weekend to root on the Hogs. I can say that I definitely don't think Brewer is ready for the NBA and is not the type of player the Rockets need. The dude is not good at all from outside. He is a slasher and relies on his athleticism to make up for other shortcomings. This might be a little far fetched, but he reminds me of a Stromile Swift playing guard. I don't mean their games are the same, but their inadequacies are similar when you compare where they play on the court. Brewer often gets shut down by inferior teams (see: Bucknell) and zone defenses shut the dude down. I think he needs another year in college.

5. JamesC

JamesC Member

Brewer to me has the potential to be a Josh Howard/ Marquis Daniels type of player.

6. DJ Naztorious

DJ Naztorious Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_PDkUlRcYA&search=ronnie brewer

he's #10; look for the guy that plays [and looks - see headband] exactly like Josh Howard.

i think he has: a steal that leads to a spin-move dunk, another steal for a breakaway dunk, a fast-break dunk, and an off-the-backboard assist to the trailer.

note to Brandon Roy fans and [ex-fans, such as myself] - Brewer does not have knee problems nor has had any surgeries done on his knees.

7. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

Cant shoot, end of discussion.