1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pops or Lebron

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ArtV, Jun 16, 2014.

?

Pops or Lebron?

Poll closed Jul 7, 2014.
  1. Lebron all day

73 vote(s)
    49.7%
  2. Pops until he's 90+

74 vote(s)
    50.3%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The GARM is insane.

Even Pop wouldn't pick himself.

2. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

I love how when Lebron loses it's always because he doesn't have enough help.
    SA beat Miami (the best team for about the last 3 years).

That's it. Stop making excuses.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So? Why didn't his system make Dominique Wilkins look good that year? You claimed he was always a contender because of his magical system. He was GM of the team for years before he took over coaching He didn't have the players then to run his magical system?
    Whose fault is that?

Pretty much everything I said counters what you said. When Popovich had good players, he did well. He's had them for about 15 years. When he had awful players, he sucked, system or no. Same with Phil Jackson or anybody else. Hell name a single coach who won a title without an HOF player in the last 20 years - actually name one who did it with less than 2 on the roster. Larry Brown? if only one of Ben/Rasheed Wallace make it I guess that's probably it.

I don't need to say that the Spurs had a better roster than the HEat this year, the results speak for themselves. Pretending like they're the bad news bears is pretty stupid, and about as stupid as pretending like LeBron doesn't add more to your team than Popovich.

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Popavich all day.

5. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

If we can keep Morey and get rid of McHale and keep our current team. Otherwise, we are gonna need Lebron

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yes there is. Popovich himself would tell you there's only one right answer to this poll question.

Btw, did you know that Tim Duncan was about to sign with the Orlando Magic, and Pop begged Duncan to return to San Antonio?

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Actually I would take Pop.

Pop has done wonders, 5 rings and counting, with a team that is not star studded top picks (ok Timmy)...just studded role players. He could continue to coach for another 15 years. If this team isn't the one, we have plenty of time to fine tune the machine.

Lebron is the best player in basketball but there are some flags to my not choosing him. He has a 5 year window left before he starts tapering off...probably less because Mchale would play him 45 minutes a night. He does not make his other teammates better and he can carry a team so far, but not always across the finish line. It would be an exciting choice but I still feel that which the current coaching we'd still be coming up short and it would be over too quickly with us just saying, "how did that just happen?"

8. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

whaaaaaaat? I hate LeBron as much as anyone, but that is not something I could accurately accuse him of....

9. SamFisher

This is highly overblown. The "not top picks" thing is misleading - they had a first mover advantage on Ginobili and Parker (and Scola) before other teams scouted them/properly valued international players. Had they come out today, they'd be lotto picks, easily.

Popovich, due to the incredible longevity of Duncan, who might be the best post-35 player ever, hasn't really ever had to build a team from scratch with no foundation. You think he instantly makes your team a title contender by virtue of his presence like LeBron? There is really no evidence of that yet. If he sticks around for the Spurs rebuild we'll see. If they start contending for the 9th seed with a team built around Leonard, what would you say then?

How many games would the Spurs win next season if Popovich retired and RC Buford or PJ Carlesimo or anybody took his place? 50-60 assuming no injuries?

The Heat meanwhile would sink like a stone, just like the Cavs did, just like the Bulls did after Jordan left.

Why do you think all of hte reputed-best coaches (Auerbach, Jackson, Riley) spent most of their careers not only with the best players in the world, but the very best players on the face of the planet for the bulk of their glory days.

There's a lot of competent coaches around. There always will be. But at most they tend to only amplify (or detract from) the players by a relatively small percentage. Of Athletes/players like LeBron, there's maybe been a handful in the planet's history. When you can get one, you take one.

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Lebron easily. Pops Mensah-Bonsu is pretty terrible.

1 person likes this.
  11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

^^^^ That was the question...

I'm truly baffled that half of the voters would choose Pops over Lebron. I don't understand how adding the best player in the league to a 54win team (without a good coach) doesn't make you the best team in the league! A player that plays at both ends of the court, a player that EVERY other player wants to play with because he is considered to be one of the best that has ever played the game! This team would be the odds on favorite to win the title every year! (HEAVILY FAVORED)

Lebron took a far,far,far less talented Cavs team to the finals with a coach, that in my opinion isn't any better than Mchale! Yes I know he only has so many years before his decline, but this team with Lebron should be able to get at least 2-3 rings and play phenomenal basketball during his prime years here! Let's not forget that Pops is 65yr old! How many coaches are still coaching into their 70's? Even Pops will succumb to father time in the next 4-5years!

12. SamFisher

This thread is great.

13. bmd

bmd Member

LeBron... no doubt about it. As good as Pop is, a coach can only do so much.

Many coaches who are nowhere near Pop's level have won championships.

When it comes down to it, great players win championships.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Does Pops even lift, breh?

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The poll results are embarrassing. CF, I expect better.

16. Rokman

Rokman Member

As much as I want LeBron's talent I don't want LeBron's ego. I take Pop.

That being said, if Lebron actually wants to win a Championship this year he would be wise to come play for the Rockets. Show the world that you are on David West's level when it comes to desire for winning and come play here for the Vet Min.

17. SamFisher

So you'd rather the Rockets lose to Golden state last year instead of win 70 games and a title because "LeBron's ego"

LIke I said, this thread is great.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Lebron showed the world that he is on Lebron's level by joining his superfriends and doing an ESPN special.

He's already won championships, so no need to take an insane pay cut.

On another note -

I still think Pop would maximize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses of our flawed roster. He's not a terrible choice.

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Still take Pop and it ain't even close

With Pop you may not sign other all stars but you will get veteran former all star leaders come here for the minimum

20. SamFisher

Still the worst active poster and it ain't even close - good show brah