1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apartment advice for Houston newcomer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cheez7, Aug 23, 2015.

1. cheez7

cheez7 New Member

Hi everyone… moving to Houston next weekend and am putting together a list of apartments to visit once I get there. Heard this was a great, active community of hoop fans, so figured I'd ask some like-minded folks for advice.

For a reference point that I'm sure everyone is familiar with… looking for something that's not too far from the Toyota Center (within 20-30 min drive with traffic).

Looking for a one bedroom place, max of $1,000… biggest keys for me are a garage or covered parking and washer/dryer hookups.

Here's some places that stood out to me online so far (I realize some are a little farther away than I'm looking for and in some cases a little more $)… if anyone has any input on them or digs a place I don't have listed, it would be much appreciated!:

Top prospects
    Meyer Park Lakeside
    Tanglebrook
    Wilshire Park
    The Abbey at Briargrove Park
    Retreat at Westchase
    Pavilion Place
    Sendera at Greenway

Next tier
    Walden Of Westchase
    Village Place
    Crystal Falls
    Montebello Gardens
    Creekstone
    Castlewood
    Camden Holly Springs

Thank you VERY much!

1 person likes this.
  2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

New user accounts are hand-approved so thought I'd bump this thread (now visible) to see if anyone can help him out.

3. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

My mom is a realtor and she just got some of my friends some pretty good places inside the loop (near 59 and 610) for under $1,000. Text me at 713-seven3two-820five and I can help you out.

#3 Butterfingers, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If your work is around Toyota Center, you don't want to be out close to Beltway 8 like a few on your list. The drive would suck.

5. lean

lean Member

Hey man, look into Estates at Bellaire. It meets all your requirements other than being more pricey. There is an indoor half-court basketball gym at this complex which is the main reason I moved here. I think the cheapest 1 bedroom you could get here is around 1100 though. Great, quiet community though with parking garage, washer/dryer and 15-20 minutes from downtown and toyota center (30-40 minutes with traffic).

6. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

It is going to be hard to find something nice at that budget. Not saying it is impossible, but will be a long search. If you had a roommate, your budget is perfect for a very nice place in prime locations.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

AMLI at the Medical Center is very OK. And the commute to Toyota Center ain't bad at all. 15-20 min IIRC.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Did Morey just trade for you? ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Greenspoint has some of the best apartment rates in Houston. 450 for a 2 bedroom with exotic balcony, weight room, and swimming pool.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Going to be hard to find something within 1000 given your requirements.

You need to compromise on price or public laundry and covered parking.

You may getter better deals closer to the galleria than midtown

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Find a short term sublease on Craigslist and check out the neighborhood and commute before committing to a long term lease if you aren't familiar with the city. Normally you can get a good deal on a short term lease and especially now as many oil and gas folks are suddenly leaving town due to loss of work.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That's low income housing. You can't make more than a certain amount or they won't let you live there.

13. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

Don't forget you can buy the best crack in town.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I would rather live in a third world country than live in greenspoint. The classless species there is sub-human. Make sure you do your homework OP. This is the south

15. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

Take Pavilion Place off of your list. No covered or garage parking.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Garage apartment in The Heights.

You usually get a garage parking space, washer-dryer and it's about 15 minutes from the TC. Many are less than 1K/month too.

17. grt004

grt004 Member

I am in the same position as the OP. Mind if I shoot you a text. Thanks

1 person likes this.
  18. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Hey, you don't want this coming up in a google search. You should edit your number similar to the way I did.

19. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

These are good, but hard to find as they go fast. Adding to this- there are many little small apartment complexes on Heights blvd that are under 1000. I had one at Heights and 16th that was 825/all bills paid, but only had washer/dryer on site. It was nice, though. The area is awesome.

20. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Sure go ahead.