1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden: "I am the best player in the league."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zeeshan2, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

If he said this last year around this time (which iirc he did), I would have scoffed.

Now, I can believe it.

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

He was one of the best players last season 4 show. This season go get you MVP title as well as a Championship.

Prove you're the best JH. Just prove it man.

3. MD_in_Training

In a few years, no one will remember much of anything.

4. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

- Lebron is the best player in the league

-Curry was the MVP and he has the trophy to prove it.

5. RESINator

RESINator Member

Damn.... second time around proclaiming it. That confidence is what we need. Badass. I still think lebron is the best all around but father time will catch up in a couple years.

6. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Anthony Davis?

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Maybe, but he's not superstar status yet. Similar to Harden when he was younger though in terms of team success.

Not even LeBron, LeBron is too old.

KD is a wash, especially with the foot issues.

8. valorita

valorita Member

I feel like people do not truly understand and appreciate how great Lebron is.
    Harden is a top 5 player depending on who you ask.
    Lebron is the best player in the past decade and probably in top 5 of all time.
    Age is not as much of issue because he is also one of the smartest and hardest working players as well.
    The road to championship will go through him, at least for the next 4 years, just like it has for the past 6 yrs.

9. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

To all the people that are criticizing Harden's comments:

Don't you want your best player/franchise cornerstone to think he is the best player in the NBA? Don't you want the guy you trusted with your team and hope will lead you to the trophy have the most confidence in himself?

It's not like Harden is crazy for saying/thinking he is the best player in the NBA. Last year, he said something similar and everyone scoffed, but then his play backed it up. In my opinion, he was the best player in the NBA last season. He is definitely a top 5 player in today's NBA. Honestly, I would only take Davis and KD (assuming he is healthy) over Harden right now to build my team around, since I still believe Harden still has some growing up to do. (I think Curry has peaked his potential and LBJ is starting to lose that unearthly athleticism)

This is not some random player thinking he is the next superstar in the league. This is James Harden, a player who has averaged 26, 6 and 5 the past 3 years. This is a player lead an injured team to a 2nd seed and a WCF appearance.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Ok :rolleyes:

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

No. 1: Curry responds to Harden’s MVP comments — If you think the top names in the NBA aren’t already campaigning for the 2016 Kia MVP, you haven’t been paying attention. Earlier this week, Houston Rockets star James Harden told our Fran Blinebury that he still feels he should have won MVP in 2015 (and not Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors). Sacramento Kings star DeMarcus Cousins says the 2016 MVP is ‘mine to grab’. So what does Curry have to say about all this (and Harden’s words in particular)? Not a whole lot, writes Monte Pool of CSNBayArea.com:
    Steph Curry’s response Wednesday to Harden’s latest comments, which amounted to a vote for James Harden, was an understated mic drop.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2015/10/08/morning-shootaround-oct-8-3/?cid=nbaontntsocial_tw_sf13923585#warriors“It doesn’t change what happened last year,” Curry, who actually took home the hardware, said after Warriors practice.

Curry didn’t so much as revisit the topic as search for reasons why Harden did.
    “I don’t know,” Curry said. “Different guys find different ways of motivating themselves. I’ve never been one to just . . . I’m obviously confident in what I do, and I know he’s confident in what he does. It might come out in a different way.
    “I try not to do a lot of talking, especially (regarding) things that have passed. Obviously, you’ve got to motivate yourself and I’m sure he’s motivated this year to do some special things. I’m the same way.”

12. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Did harden hurt his ankle over the summer?

I was just reading on B/R about him requesting to play last night and the were saying he was trying to work out the kinks to a ankle injury he had over the summer...

13. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

14. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Better left done than said. However, when I was James age, my game was all about talk and I competed harder to back up my talk.

15. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Said he sprained it "pretty badly" and hadn't played a ton of basketball as a result. I'm guessing this was after he finished Drew League (and the reason he was limping like a geriatric at the player awards).

17. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I agree I think Davis is great but I still would never trade a superstar wing player for a superstar big. When's the last time a superstar big lead a team to a championship? Duncan? He had tony p and manu even though he was clearly the best player on the team I don't know if he was more important than tony in there last 3 titles. KG? His numbers were down and was a shell of his twolves days and pierce was the best player on those Celtic teams.

I love Davis and think he's an all time talent but every elite big has to play with a wing to win, besides Dream. I think right now AD is were Harden was after his first year in Houston the media had kinda annoited him really fast ESPN ranked him the 4th best player in the league and then totally ripped him apart that coming season. I expect the same for AD media is propping him up he'll get humbled this season because of his teams succes or lack of and then come back the following season as a real mvp candidate not only with his play cause it's basically there but also with team success like harden is leading the rockets too.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sarcastic Stephen Curry: &quot;I apologize for all the accolades we've received as a team and individually. I'm very, truly sorry.&quot;</p>&mdash; Diamond Leung (@diamond83) <a href="https://twitter.com/diamond83/status/654009107771297793">October 13, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Full Curry quote on other teams talking <a href="http://t.co/C1j2IZmPu5">pic.twitter.com/C1j2IZmPu5</a></p>&mdash; Ethan Strauss (@SherwoodStrauss) <a href="https://twitter.com/SherwoodStrauss/status/654016462655324160">October 13, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member