1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA v. I. LEWIS LIBBY, also known as "SCOOTER LIBBY"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Jan 18, 2007.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I'm suprised we've gone the whole week without a thread.

Anyway this was funny...

Leak trial lawyers 'can't find' twelve who like Cheney

David Edwards and Ron Brynaert
    Published: Thursday January 18, 2007

Observers of the CIA leak case trial may be asking themselves one question: 'Are there twelve people in America that don't dislike the Bush Adminstration?'

Because, after reading several media and blogger reports, it seems that "legal eagles" working on the trial for former Bush and Cheney aide I. Lewis Libby are having problems finding them.

According to CNN, after potential jurors were interviewed by lawyers Thursday, "several were disqualified by midday after voicing negative feelings" about the administration. Of 25 potential jurors, CNN reports that "fourteen have been excused."

Among the excused, as ABC News' The Blotter reported, was a woman who revealed that she works for the same company that the "outed" Valerie Plame Wilson once toiled in secrecy for - or "not-so-secretly" according to Libby's defense.

"In an ironic twist at the CIA leak trial, after numerous dismissals of jurors for bias against the current administration, a female member of the jury pool told Judge Walton, 'I work for the CIA,'" Brian Ross writes.

The Blotter post continues, "The woman revealed that she did not know Plame, had never met her and had not followed the case because she did not read the newspaper. She said she only watched the local ABC News channel in the mornings. Asked about what she thought of the media, the woman said, 'We never hear anything positive in the news about the CIA.'"

In Thursday's Washington Post, Carol D. Leonnig and Amy Goldstein write, "To see how small a town Washington really is, drop in on jury selection at the trial of I. Lewis 'Scooter' Libby, where so far nearly every juror candidate seems to have a connection to the players or events surrounding the leak of an undercover CIA officer's identity."

"There is the software database manager whose wife works as a prosecutor for the Justice Department, and who counts the local U.S. attorney and a top official in Justice's criminal division as neighbors and friends," the Post article continues. "A housecleaner who works at the Watergate and knows Condoleezza Rice, not by her title of secretary of state, but as the 'lady who lives up on the fifth floor.' And a former Washington Post reporter whose editor was now-Assistant Managing Editor Bob Woodward; he went to barbecues at the house of NBC's Tim Russert, a neighbor, and just published a book on the CIA and spying."

"The 38 possible questions the jurors will be asked include whether they know any of the potential witnesses and whether they would 'have any difficulty fairly judging the believability of former or present members of the Bush Administration…[or] a member of the news media,'" Brian Beutler reported for Raw Story the other day.

"They’ll also be asked whether they harbor 'feelings or opinions about the Bush Administration or any of its policies or actions, whether positive or negative, that might affect' their ability to give Libby a fair trial," Beutler added.

(CNN has a list of the questions for jurors which can be accessed here.)

In an unprecedented event in the history of Internet journalism, bloggers were credentialed and seated at the trial, liveblogging the proceedings.

At Firedoglake, blogger Pachacutec observed this morning, "We may be walking backwards today."

But, in an update just before 6 PM EST, Pachacutec added, "We now stand at 30 qualified jurors on the pool, but we need 36. It took us all day to get 6, so the Judge adjourned for the night and hopes to complete jury selection Monday. Opening statements, he said, will not commence until Tuesday at the earliest."

On the other side of the political spectrum, Clarice Feldman guest-blogging (or "guest-commenting") at Just One Minute, noted that one retired postal worker held no "opinions about [the] credibility of [the] Bush Administration."

In the MSNBC video below, Hardball's David Shuster reports further on the juror crisis, noting that out of the first twenty-four prospective jurors, only four were African-American, an "unusual breakdown given that D.C. is seventy-percent African-American."

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2007/Video_Problems_finding_Libby_jurors_that_0118.html

2. mc mark

Good Times!

---------------

Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald successfully objected to the way defense lawyers for former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby were questioning prospective jurors. The lawyers had been asking for their opinions of top Bush administration officials and whether the officials lied to push the nation into the Iraq war.

"The jury will not be asked to render a verdict on the war or what they think of the war," Fitzgerald said.

Fitzgerald also changed his own questioning to put Libby's attorneys, Theodore Wells and William Jeffress, more on the defensive.

-------------

After the defense got two jurors excused Thursday morning — a woman who thought the war was a mistake and another woman skeptical of all politicians — Fitzgerald struck back.

He objected that defense lawyers were telling jurors the "case is about politics and the war" instead of just about Libby's alleged lies about his conversations with reporters regarding Plame. Wells quickly agreed to say instead that the war and administration candor about it were "background issues."

From then on, Fitzgerald began asking jurors right off the bat whether they could put aside personal views on the war or the administration and rule solely on evidence introduced at trial. Questioning after Fitzgerald, the defense then was forced to ask jurors what their opinions of the war were and see if they were willing to reverse themselves on whether those views would bias them.

Before that, defense lawyers had been the first to mention the war. They then asked jurors if there was any potential their views might bias them. Fitzgerald had been forced to come back and ask if they would try to put those aside.

___
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070119/ap_on_go_pr_wh/cia_leak_trial

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

So when is Sandy Berger going on trial for stealing confidential information?

liberals... no cred

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uh... He already did? He pled guilty and was sentenced on 9/4/2005.

Trader_Jorge... no cred

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you ever tire of being wrong, and running away from threads?

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Well, what do you know... guess the libs don't have much of a moral highground to take here...

7. mc mark

libpigs accept your unconditional surrender and apology! :p

Now back to the thread.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Opening arguments...

9. rimrocker

WaPo weighs in...

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Isn't this in the wrong thread?

D&D. Plame it on Someone!

11. rimrocker

I don't think so... stuff about the trial is in a thread about the trial, right? Or am I missing something?

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The several hundred pages of the Plame Affair, rimster!

D&D. Plame will leave them in Flames. Figuratively speaking.

13. rimrocker

OK... I'll make you this deal... after all the info from the trail comes out, we'll plow through that and see was mostly right and who was mostly wrong.

In the meantime...

Here's a rough transcript of David Schuster's report on MSNBC...

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/01/23/cheney-libby-trial/

14. mc mark

That is so weird...

Why wasn't Cheney indicted?

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's a good question. Hopefully, the answers will come out, and if he's worthy of indictment, he will be.

D&D. The Devil is in the Details.

16. mc mark

The only thing I can think of is that there is no physical (destroyed memo) evidence that implicates him.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Could be. Perhaps the trial will open up the can of worms I think is parked somewhere in all of this. We deserve the truth.

D&D. The Last Detail.

18. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

My only thought is that since he's the VP, an indictment of him would open up doors that the Special Prosecutor isn't sure he wants to open. If the VP is indicted, with everything else going on in the last 7 years, I doubt it would take much for the impeachment movement to gain momentum. I'm not sure that's something that Fitzgerald wants to start nor thinks he can finish.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good point. And history has shown that Fitzgerald could be fired if he gets too close to Power. I think he has been very cautious, and that may make some of us impatient, but it may also give us a good result in the end, one that's good for the country.

D&D. You Can't Handle the Truth!

(Jack is a God!)

20. rimrocker

Fitzgerald is methodical and obviously quite smart. I've always doubted that Libby would be the one and only indictment. If you look at his organized crime prosecutions, he always starts small and builds big.

A further thought... if Fitzgerald slowly works his way up the chain, then he possibly reaches the largest fish after January of 2009, when it would be impossible for Bush to issue a pardon... I think you have to be indicted or convicted for a pardon to be in force right? You can't issue a pardon for crimes not yet known.

So, assuming Libby's guilty, I suspect we'll see another grand jury or more indictments of lower-level types... who will all want to plea bargain quickly in case their trial goes beyond January 2009 and they miss out on a pardon. Fitzgerald collects all this testimony and sits on it from November 2008-Inaugeration Day... realistically, the only time Bush could issue pardons in this affair. The day after the Inaugeration, he indicts the big fish. Anyway, just a casual theory. Thoughts?